The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-02-2018, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
These days, you would really have to do some research to find epoxy not good to 125C. RainSong has been around a long time, but I doubt their current product is going to melt in the same car that the ceiling lining, also glued, stayed attached.
That issue with Rainsong epoxy and heat is long, long past. I recall, for a very brief time, well past a decade(s) ago, they once used an epoxy that didn't do well in high heat (resins can be purchased for various properties including heat resistance) and immediately switched to high heat resistant resin. The guitars did not develop problems if stored normally.

There were very, very few guitars made with this resin and Rainsong replaced any guitar that was brought to them without question whether it was under warranty or not.

A friend of mine who plays professionally, had one of these guitars stored in excessive heat (he doesn't treat any of his guitars well, actually) and it became unplayable years after his warranty was over. Rainsong replaced it without question with outstanding service.

From time to time, one of these old model guitars becomes a discussed topic, but it's old news. If I were planning on buying a Rainsong, it's the last thing that would concern me. What I remember most is how well they treated this customer.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acwild View Post
I understand that CF guitars are more impervious to climate changes than wood but do the temp changes still affect tuning?
I've been keeping my Savoy with nylon strings (well aged by now) where the temps have been varying from upper 60s to over 110 every day.

I usually grab it later in the day and ~ except for that pesky G string ~ it's almost always within a few cents of perfect tune.

Freaks me out every time.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
I understand that CF guitars are more impervious to climate changes than wood but do the temp changes still affect tuning?
Lately I've been using my CH-PA to gig while my partner uses his GC8E Taylor. I tune once at the beginning of the gig, usually correcting next to nothing. He has to re-tune at least once, often twice, per set. Definitely even worse for him if we are playing outdoors.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-02-2018, 11:34 AM

Interestingly, my Emerald X7 needs to be tuned fairly frequently when moving from one temperature to another, whereas my Rainsong Shorty is much more stable in that regard. Not sure if it's the tuning machines (the Emerald has Sperzels) or something about the construction (the Emerald does not have a truss rod - rather the neck is hollow).
Old 07-02-2018, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
Interestingly, my Emerald X7 needs to be tuned fairly frequently when moving from one temperature to another, whereas my Rainsong Shorty is much more stable in that regard. Not sure if it's the tuning machines (the Emerald has Sperzels) or something about the construction (the Emerald does not have a truss rod - rather the neck is hollow).
Must be an older X7. Mine has a truss rod. Mine has gone coast to coast, border to border; Sub-tropical heat and humidity to the dry mountain air to the desert southwest. I am amazed at how thing guitar holds tune. When it arrived from Ireland, it was in tune! Before playing, I always check the tuning on any guitar - it is rare that my X7 needs to be tweaked, unless I have just put new strings on it.

I sold my Shorty a few months ago, and it was very similar in holding tune. Same with my Emerald X20. These guitars laugh at climate and humidity changes... wish I was that tough... "Vegas throat" when we first go to the desert.

I don't travel with wood guitars any more.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Must be an older X7. Mine has a truss rod.
It is - it's from 2010 (old center-hole model)! I really don't mind, because once it's set for wherever I'm playing it, it is pretty stable. It's just that going from inside to outside or vice-versa requires a few seconds to retune.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It is - it's from 2010 (old center-hole model)! I really don't mind, because once it's set for wherever I'm playing it, it is pretty stable. It's just that going from inside to outside or vice-versa requires a few seconds to retune.
Ah, "vintage"! I got to play Kramster's center hole X7 earlier this year - a definite different feel from mine. And, I would imagine the newest version (since the body is larger) will also have a different feel (and sound).

I played my X7 for an hour or so this morning... makes me smile.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
My heart stopped when I read this! Thanks Captain Jim for the update as I have an X7 on order. Whew.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

The tuning on my X7 (with a truss rod) drifted more than any of my other CF guitars. Seemed to be related to changes in temp. Nothing drastic, but it was there.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
The tuning on my X7 (with a truss rod) drifted more than any of my other CF guitars. Seemed to be related to changes in temp. Nothing drastic, but it was there.
Dagnabbit! You guys are killing me. Slowly killing me.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:20 PM

Alternatively, the X20 and X30 have almost no corrections needed in my experience whereas when I owned an El Capitan eKoa it was all over the map with temp swings. My Rainsong used to hold pretty well as well
Quote:
Old 07-02-2018, 04:52 PM
Guest 928

On the ranch we had winter and summer saddles. Still had to cinch them up whatever the season.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:08 PM

The old school X7 I have has a redwood veneer top... the top actually started caving in a little as did a few of those early veneers .. the red wood shrank a little...I put a piece of PVC inside as a "violin post". The acoustic sound is not so good but the B Band pick up really makes it sound good plugged in.

The masters himself at my home at the time with my 2 old schoolers...

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 07-02-2018, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ah, don't make yourself crazy - your X7 is going to be fine. As I've said before, any guitar I play, I check the tuning on it before I start. It isn't often the X7 needs any tuning adjustment... it isn't like I go for months without tuning it. BUT, it is WAY less than any of my wood guitars. I see no difference in the tuning needs on any CF I've owned.

My X7 went from upper 80% humidity and heat a week ago to 36% humidity and the change from afternoon heat and night-time cold currently... before playing the X7 this morning, I checked the tuning... right on. My wood guitars would have been all over the place.

I am really looking forward to some hands-on reviews of the new X7!
Old 07-03-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Ah, don't make yourself crazy - your X7 is going to be fine. As I've said before, any guitar I play, I check the tuning on it before I start. It isn't often the X7 needs any tuning adjustment... it isn't like I go for months without tuning it. BUT, it is WAY less than any of my wood guitars. I see no difference in the tuning needs on any CF I've owned.

My X7 went from upper 80% humidity and heat a week ago to 36% humidity and the change from afternoon heat and night-time cold currently... before playing the X7 this morning, I checked the tuning... right on. My wood guitars would have been all over the place.

I am really looking forward to some hands-on reviews of the new X7!
Cheers! End of July is the estimate for the X7. Can't wait!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber