The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 04-25-2018, 10:50 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default BRAD DAVIS Signs with Charmed Life Picks

We have just inked a deal with Brad Davis, one of the finest acoustic players in the nation, to be an official Charmed Life Sponsored Artist. If you know Brad's playing and career history (including a decade touring as lead guitarist for Marty Stuart) you'll perhaps understand how floored and humbled we are.

Brad and I met in a really funny way. At Winter NAMM 2016, when we weren't even a real company yet, I was going from booth to booth talking to people about our new venture. I was in the Tak booth chatting with one of the mucky-mucks when I heard this incredible acoustic player in the corner. I said, "Excuse me," to the Tak executive and walked over to witness this incredible player. "I really like your playing," I said, and this was my Brad Davis. Wow, what a player.

Brad has been playing our picks from the very beginning, longer than any other artist in the country, well more than two years. He plays all of our stuff but is especially fond of our black line, as it cuts through the mix just a smidge better than other materials. He also plays the red a lot. We are about to begin test mode a new material to the industry in the coming months and Brad will be receiving our first prototypes sometime this summer.

Thanks, Brad, for hanging with us through the struggles of our growing pains. We're thrilled and honored to have you as our first major artist to signed with Charmed Life. Here's to a long and productive partnership.

More details to follow in the coming weeks, folks.

In case you've never seen Brad play:

Thanks,
Scott Memmer

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 04-25-2018 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:15 AM

Congrats! You're really getting recognition and deservedly so!
Old 04-26-2018, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Wow, Scott--congrats!

Brad is a monster player that I've enjoyed listening to and seeing play live for the past many years.

Quite a tribute to your products!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 04-26-2018, 10:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Wow, Scott--congrats!

Brad is a monster player that I've enjoyed listening to and seeing play live for the past many years.

Quite a tribute to your products!
Neo, thanks. You know, like with our regular customers, the coolest thing for me is that I've met hundreds of wonderful people and players through CLP, many of whom have become true friends. That, to me, is the greatest gift of all.

To not only meet Brad but to then become a friend is really thrill. You couldn't meet a nicer guy. He'll be helping us as well as we begin to explore new materials and prototypes, beginning with a new material we'll be testing begin this summer. We have a LONG R& D process, but it's a thrill to have someone of Brad's caliber as a tester.

Thanks, Neo. We're truly humbled and grateful.

take care,
scott
Old 04-26-2018, 10:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillStephen View Post
Congrats! You're really getting recognition and deservedly so!
Steve, thanks so much.

Hey, I believe you recently got one of our brown tris with the holes. lf you have a moment, would you go to the other thread in here about that model and leave a brief impression/review. Good, bad or indifferent is fine, you know me.

Or PM or email is fine too. We're looking at possibly expanding that into other brown series models, but made only a couple dozen of the one you got as a test and to gauge interest.

thanks, my friend,
scott memmer
Old 04-27-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Steve, thanks so much.

Hey, I believe you recently got one of our brown tris with the holes. lf you have a moment, would you go to the other thread in here about that model and leave a brief impression/review. Good, bad or indifferent is fine, you know me.

Or PM or email is fine too. We're looking at possibly expanding that into other brown series models, but made only a couple dozen of the one you got as a test and to gauge interest.

thanks, my friend,
scott memmer
Scott,

Yes, I ordered the brown tri. Wanted to get a bit more play time with it before posting, but will definitely post a review and comparison to the red and black TDs I have.

Steve
Old 04-27-2018, 09:47 AM

Brad Davis is a freakishly accomplished flatpicker. No question about that.

Scott...you’ve done well to snag him as an endorser of your picks.

I really dig that Brad is a Takamine guy as well. Forgive the presumption in the next statement but Brad seems like a practically minded person and player.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:23 AM

Brad is also a great teacher. I have been taking lessons off and on for about 4 years at his studio in Texas. He also just recently got his "own" artist made "Brad Davis Model" guitar from Alvarez. And yes he is very down to earth. He will be a good move for you.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:54 AM

Thumbs up

Nice work Scott!!!
-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster
Old 04-27-2018, 08:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fray View Post
Brad is also a great teacher. I have been taking lessons off and on for about 4 years at his studio in Texas. He also just recently got his "own" artist made "Brad Davis Model" guitar from Alvarez. And yes he is very down to earth. He will be a good move for you.
That's so much for everyone's thoughts and insights. Brad and I have spent a lot of time on the telephone but not that much in person (I'm in L.A., he's in Austin), so it's great to see your impressions of him line up with mine. Heckuva guy and player.

Fray, yes, he told me about the Alvarez signature model around this last December, just before NAMM in January, here in Anaheim. Please don't quote me on this, fray, but I believe he said they'd be showing it coming up this June at Summer NAMM in Nashville. I wasn't sure if the official word was out on that yet, so I've been taking a low profile on that news. However, in playing the prototype Brad says it's a real monster, and he would know.

It's exciting for the two of of us to align our interests to bring truly stellar products (if I may be so bold) to the marketplace to enhance everyone's playing. And I've been blown away by how much Brad loves our picks. Wow. One of the best pickers in the country says were up to snuff. Pretty cool.

Long Tooth, FYI (and again, this is just a surmise on my part): I believe Brad had to cut ties with Tak to move in the Alvarez direction. He loved their guitars, as I recall, but this would represent a conflict of interest. I share the love, as I own one of the original Tak "Lawsuit" dreds from the mid seventies.

Thanks, Everyone. We're dang excited.

scott memmer

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 04-27-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Long Tooth, FYI (and again, this is just a surmise on my part): I believe Brad had to cut ties with Tak to move in the Alvarez direction. He loved their guitars, as I recall, but this would represent a conflict of interest. I share the love, as I own one of the original Tak "Lawsuit" dreds from the seventies.
Thanks...certainly understandable regarding concern for conflict of interest. Takamine got it right for ‘plug n play’ stage instruments.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

Long, yes, Tak has long been respected for its live sound when plugged in. I believe the Eagles still play them on stage, don't they?

sm
Old 05-05-2018, 01:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

If you've never heard Brad Davis play, you're in for a treat.

Old 05-09-2018, 01:25 AM
AGF Sponsor

We're thrilled to welcome Brad to the Charmed Life family. He'll be helping us this summer as we begin testing yet another new material.

Thanks, Folks!

Scott
Old 05-22-2018, 09:56 AM
AGF Sponsor

One of the things we'll be doing with Brad is testing new prototypes and materials. We'll be cutting our first prototypes sometime this summer of a material nobody in the industry is using at present. It has some interesting properties that may or may not make a great pick. It's a bit like throwing darts.

We already have a long list, but if anyone is interested in receiving a free prototype in exchange for some honest feedback, we can add you to the list. We may have quite a few prototypes cut on this material, but don't quite know yet. The material is already in the barn, so just trying to find a free moment in our production schedule to cut the blanks.

If interested, please do NOT PM me here. Instead, email me with the subject line "Prototype Tester" directly to charmedllifepicks @gmail.

Thanks,
Scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace