The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-28-2018, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
My posture and guitar position has fully adapted to the X20. The X30 is different - still quite comfortable for such a large guitar, but the X20 works almost perfectly for me. The best description is comparing a dreadnought versus a 000, with X30 being the dreadnought.

I play seated and with a strap almost 100% of the time. The X20 locks in against my right thigh, whereas the X30 is a little too big for that. It does sit nicely with the neck somewhat more level. Over time, it will all work out. I'm still in the bonding and learning phase. Interestingly enough, different thicknesses of picks seem to work better. The X20 likes a heavier pick for more robust tone, and the X30 wants a lighter pick to add back some balancing brightness. YMMV of course.
I'll get to compare in another few months (got an X20 on order). I'm curious as to which one I'll prefer for comfort. I always liked bigger guitars, hence why I went with the X30 first. I can't even play my Gibson dread anymore now after the X30, it's just way less comfortable and I quickly realized that I much prefer the 1.75" nut width of the Emerald vs the 1.72" of the Gibson.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:50 AM

Wow! Thank you all for the responses!

Does the glossy neck on carbon fiber necks feel sticky like some of the glossy wood guitar necks?
Old 12-28-2018, 07:15 AM

I have a Rainsong Hybrid dread and it is a cannon, with volume, warmth and excellent playability. I love it. Also, consider that it costs several hundred dollars less than the X30.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisdad View Post

Does the glossy neck on carbon fiber necks feel sticky like some of the glossy wood guitar necks?
I've tried a 2018 Emerald X7 with gloss neck and compared it to my two Emerald guitars (2016 X7 and 2017 X20) both with satin necks.
IMHO the gloss neck had a sticky feel compared to the two guitars with satin necks. In addition to that, in humid weather, I've noticed that sticky feel on the back and side of the gloss body on my X20. My X7 has a gloss top but crystal ice back and sides and the crystal ice finish does not feel sticky.

This X7 is a small body guitar and not the flat picker you'd probably be interested in.
I'm only posting this picture so you can see what the satin neck and crystal ice back and sides looks like.

2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

Last edited by 121; 12-28-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo1000 View Post
I have a Rainsong Hybrid dread and it is a cannon, with volume, warmth and excellent playability. I love it. Also, consider that it costs several hundred dollars less than the X30.
I've also owned quite a few CF guitars and the H-DR is one of my favorites.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 12-28-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
.... I can't even play my Gibson dread anymore now after the X30, it's just way less comfortable and I quickly realized that I much prefer the 1.75" nut width of the Emerald vs the 1.72" of the Gibson.
I hear that! My WS-1000 does not get much play any more, just like my wood guitars. Once you get used to that bevel on the lower bout, hard edges on traditional guitars are so..... uncomfortable on the forearm. I may need to look into a John Pearse arm rest for it to soften the edge.

Quote:
.....Does the glossy neck on carbon fiber necks feel sticky like some of the glossy wood guitar necks?
I haven't noticed much stickiness on my gloss necks, and I generally prefer satin given a choice. But I don't have a lot of humidity where I live, summer or winter, and apparently don't have especially sweaty hands. And just so you know, Emerald shoots all the necks in glossy and sands them to get the satin finish, as shown in 121's picture, during the final finishing steps. Crystal Ice feels surprisingly smooth to the touch, even though it looks rather pebbly in photos. It is a no-cost option when you order, but they prefer to keep the tops glossy (others have asked).
Old 12-28-2018, 10:54 AM

A sticky gloss neck is more of nitro finish issue. There is no nitro on any CF guitar that I know of.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 12-28-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:

No sticky neck issues here!
Old 12-28-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
I was sweating last summer and rubbed a light blister on my left hand from the neck (X20). Usually I have talc with me but I had forgot it that day. Same with wood guitars too. Never tried the satin neck pictured above. Talc is cheap, so I am not too worried either way.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 12-28-2018, 07:57 PM

Have a lookie here...

https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...g-ch-ws-review

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 12-28-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
I had this same concern and tried to push for the satin, but they were quick to push back. I'm glad they did. The glossy doesn't feel sticky at all to me and looks very nice.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

All glossy necks on my CF guitars (Emeralds) and no issue.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:01 PM

I think neck finish preferences might be linked to playing style? You've heard the saying, "there is no money beyond the 5th fret"?

Might it be true that though who play in the $$$ zone are less inclined to have neck preferences than to those playing for broke (in other words moving all over the neck)?

I play all over the neck and prefer a satin finish.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:42 PM

I'll agree with most here that the gloss finishes don't really affect the movement of the fretting hand on either the Rainsongs or Emeralds. (I confess I've not played an X30 - I really want to!) A Leviora is also an option; mine has no finish on it at all!! (Couldn't afford it) They are good and loud with lots of projection and bass.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:26 AM

If your a flat picker playing bluegrass leads then really dread is the only way to go for volume and projection over mandolin and fiddles etc.
The Rainsong dread would be a good choice but the only CF guitar, that is always above the standards and pretty much perfect as hands can make is McPherson. Their quality is above reproach, cost a bit more but you know the old saying.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber