The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-24-2018, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Sunshine on my Shoulders by John Denver, Mike Taylor & Dick Kniss (cover)

I used to play a lot of John Denver songs way back in the early 1970s, but for whatever reason I don't play as many now. But John Denver wrote a lot of good songs and so I have been thinking about renewing my acquaintance with some of the songs of his that I liked in the past. This is one of them. My mother and my mother-in-law both often requested this song from me when I had a guitar out. They have both passed away by now, but I was reminded of their appreciation of this song today when the sun came out.

I hope you like this. Thanks so much for listening. Oh, the guitar is my Guild F512 12-string.

- Glenn
Old 05-24-2018, 06:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Glenn, this was also one of my mother’s favorite songs. In fact, during her long final illness, she asked if I could play it at her memorial service when the time came - which I did. I had never appreciated the song as much prior to learning it, but I sure did afterwards.

Your voice and playing style are perfect for this song. Thanks so much for sharing it
Old 05-24-2018, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWSog View Post
Glenn, this was also one of my mother’s favorite songs. In fact, during her long final illness, she asked if I could play it at her memorial service when the time came - which I did. I had never appreciated the song as much prior to learning it, but I sure did afterwards.

Your voice and playing style are perfect for this song. Thanks so much for sharing it
Thank you Larry!

Wow! What a story you tell! I'm sorry to hear of your mother's loss, but how wonderful that you could play this song as part of her memorial!

I think maybe the simpleness of this song, particularly the alternating G and C chords -- it reminds me of the Beatles' "I Should Have Known Better" which is in the same key, using the same alternating G and C chords -- that appeals to some people.

I, too, thought this song was kind of boring, at least from a guitar standpoint, but after playing and singing it for people where this song seemed to mean so much, it tends to bring value to the song and helped to make me appreciate it so much more, just like you.

Thanks for your very touching feedback, Larry!

- Glenn
Old 05-24-2018, 07:15 PM

I have many, many fond memories listening to John Denver as a child. What a wonderful human being.

Larry, I'd love to hear you play that song in person.

Glenn, a really nice job with this one. I'd like to hear you play more of his stuff.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 05-24-2018, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSurf View Post
I have many, many fond memories listening to John Denver as a child. What a wonderful human being.

Larry, I'd love to hear you play that song in person.

Glenn, a really nice job with this one. I'd like to hear you play more of his stuff.
Hi SoCalSurf,

Thanks so much for your comments and feedback! I am so pleased that you like this version! I will resurrect more of the John Denver songs of my past and see if I can get them recorded in the next few weeks. I don't sound or even play very much like John Denver, but many of his songs resonate and inspire, and so often they are very melodic.

I will look forward to doing more covers of John Denver's work!

Thanks so much!!

- Glenn
Old 05-25-2018, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Awesome job, Glenn! Just right with the vibrato.

I have vivid memories of this song crackling over the AM radio in my mom's 1966 Chevy Belaire wagon, 4 boys fighting over MacDonald's french fries in the back seat

I'd like to hear you hit those high notes in Rocky Mountain High
Old 05-25-2018, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Awesome job, Glenn! Just right with the vibrato.

I have vivid memories of this song crackling over the AM radio in my mom's 1966 Chevy Belaire wagon, 4 boys fighting over MacDonald's french fries in the back seat

I'd like to hear you hit those high notes in Rocky Mountain High
Hi Bob!

Thanks for your comments!

It's interesting, our memories of John Denver songs. For me, John Denver showed up on my radar in about 1970, right after I graduated from college and got married and started working as an engineer. Radio was a much larger cultural influence in those days, and that's probably where I first heard John Denver.

For you, at that time you were a kid in the back seat of your mom's car with your brothers! Same point in time, but a different stage in life for each of us.

My wife was teaching 2nd grade in Dallas, TX and I had a job as an engineer at Texas Instruments at that time. I remember learning to play "Rocky Mountain High" on my relatively new Martin D-35 and then my wife asked me if I would come in and sing it to her 2nd grade class. All those little kids, looking up at me as if I was famous or magic or something...

I will have to resurrect "Rocky Mountain High." Thanks for the suggestion Bob!

- Glenn
Old 05-25-2018, 10:56 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Glenn, very nice performance. I like to play this song a lot.

JR
Old 05-25-2018, 11:36 PM

Nice recording! As to John Denver songs, I still play and sing them. I don't know why, but some don't appreciate his talent, yet you must admit that a good song is a good song.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Glenn, very nice performance. I like to play this song a lot.

JR
Thanks JR!

Nice to know you are listening! And it's good to know that you like this song, as well! Thanks so much for your feedback!

- Glenn
Old 05-25-2018, 11:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRedbeard View Post
Nice recording! As to John Denver songs, I still play and sing them. I don't know why, but some don't appreciate his talent, yet you must admit that a good song is a good song.
Hi Capt!

Thanks for your comments! It's true that after a while some people seemed to get fairly aggressive about their dislike of John Denver's voice or the simple structure of his songs. But he was very successful and had a worldwide following and he loved to entertain. He was very natural on stage and had very good stage presence.

I still appreciate his music; glad you do, too.

- Glenn
Old 05-26-2018, 01:17 AM

Beautiful - filled with emotion. Great playing and timing and just a heart warming song. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 05-26-2018, 03:56 AM
Charter Member

Glenn... excellent job. What a lasting tune that is. You hear the first few notes and everybody knows what it is. And I concur with Bob that, "Rocky Mountain High," would be a great tune for you. Probably my favorite of JD's.

And a wonderful, touching story by LWSog... I'm sorry for your loss, but I hope the song brings back warm memories.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Beautiful - filled with emotion. Great playing and timing and just a heart warming song. Thanks!
Hi Wrighty!

Thank you very much for your comments and for listening! The song is filled with emotion -- happy emotion.

- Glenn
Old 05-26-2018, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Glenn... excellent job. What a lasting tune that is. You hear the first few notes and everybody knows what it is. And I concur with Bob that, "Rocky Mountain High," would be a great tune for you. Probably my favorite of JD's.

And a wonderful, touching story by LWSog... I'm sorry for your loss, but I hope the song brings back warm memories.
Hi Kerbie,

Thanks so much! I'm very pleased that you like this. And regarding "Rocky Mountain High," I will have to give that a try again after all these years have gone by.

Thanks again Kerbie!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell