The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 04-16-2014, 09:33 PM

Default 1927 Martin 5-21T Brazilian Roswood

Here's a good old martin guitar, made during the first year of Tenor Guitar production at Martin.

This one is in solid, healthy playing condition with a handful of cosmetic issues.

The top and neck have been over sprayed long ago, the finish on the back and sides appears to be fully original. Pick wear and marks all over, this one's been played most of it's 85 years.

There is a long side crack and two shorter back cracks, that have all been amateurishly repaired with Super Glue. The good news is, they are totally stable, the bad news: super glue eats varnish. So, the cracks are surrounded with bald patches.

In the past, the bridge was replaced and a trapeze tail piece installed,leaving some scars. A new beautiful reproduction bridge is now in place.

The neck has fairly recently been reset, leaving a totally healthy neck angle, with plenty of saddle showing. Frets have likely been replaced as well, though with correct bar frets.

When I got it, this guitar was set up with far too low action, so I shimmed the existing Saddle with ebony, yielding comfy low action. There is a neck reset hump in the board which causes some buzzing when fretting 12 to 14, only on the E String, but is not bad. One might have a new saddle made to be absolutely correct, but this one plays fine.

It's Currently strung up with an octave mandolin set and sounds fantastic. Suprisingly loud for such a little guy and sweet sweet tone. These little old Martins make more than their fair share of sound.
I'm trying to put together a down payment on a house, so I'm clearing out some guitars I will surely miss.
Modern Hardshell Case included. $875 Shipped in the lower 48

Old 05-03-2014, 05:29 PM

Default Location

Where are you located?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars