The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-11-2019, 09:53 PM

Default Acoustic Bridge Alteration for Tonal Improvement

Hi Folks, does anyone else have a bunch of instruments that are screaming, Finish Me. I made the mistake at looking over my handful of instruments and wanting to tinker with them.

This is my first guitar build and I am pretty happy with it overall. I did get a little overzealous with the bridge which happens when you have nothing else to work on and get lost in the "more" rabbit hole of design.

Anyway, it is a maple back and pretty dang bright as you might imagine. I would like to make it more efficient if possible and without going inside the guitar, the bridge stood out. Seems like it has some extra mass because of the shape and size.
So I was wondering if there might be a consensus on taking material away from either side of the pyramids down to more traditional tapered wings?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:03 PM

I tend towards removing all the wood I can from my bridges. Thin wings, tapered backs, etc. I like sustain, and I like as direct a transfer as I can get from strings to top and top bracing, with minimal damping from the bridge assembly.

If you already like what you have, don't touch it. If not, make changes. The great thing about building your own bridge is that you can just do it again if your modification results don't please you.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:02 AM

It's definitely a bit chunky. I would probably remodel that bridge if it was me. It kind of looks like the old Washburn style pyramid bridge. IT can't hurt to reduce it a bit and you could probably save the inlays.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair