The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-29-2019, 06:44 PM

Default L-00s for non-fingerstyle

I’ve got an opportunity to trade one of my guitars for a custom L-00 style instrument built by Larry Brown in Asheville, NC. The idea of having a custom-made instrument by a fellow North Carolinian is something that really appeals to me, and I love mahogany over spruce instruments, but I don’t have much experience with the L-00. I play about 50/50 strumming and fingerstyle, and I understand it will likely be a killer fingerstyle instrument, but I’m wondering about how it will work if I dig in strumming with my fingers or a flat pick. Can you guys who have/have played smaller-bodied instruments outside of the fingerstyle “realm” comment on the versatility (or lack thereof)? I’m planning on having a pickup installed, so volume alone shouldn’t be an issue for live playing.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:46 PM

Get the Brown. I Hear very good things and they look killer.

L-00s are plenty versatile from my experience. So you should be stoked! Enjoy
Old 06-29-2019, 07:03 PM
Guest 728

I've played several L-00s, and I own a Waterloo WL12, which is based on Gibson-made Kalamazoo models. All hold up to a pick quite well, although heavy strumming probably isn't their strong suit.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Had a Kopp L-02. Great little guitar and amazing for fingerstyle play but wasn't the best for heavy strumming. It could go pretty far with it's Adirondack top but "headroom" wasn't it's strong point? Still...a fantastic guitar for what it was primarily designed and built to do.
Best of luck!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-29-2019, 08:18 PM

You didn't mention what you would be trading, but I would try for the L00. Should sound great unless you are particularly heavy handed.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 06-29-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheyjeff View Post
You didn't mention what you would be trading, but I would try for the L00. Should sound great unless you are particularly heavy handed.

Jeff
Sorry, I should’ve mentioned that I would be trading a Silvertone H1260 that has been converted to X bracing by Scott Baxendale in Athens, GA. It’s a great guitar with a wide neck that is in the realm of a D-18, but I have a soft spot for Gibson’s, and love J-45s, but I’ve never tried any other Gibson-esque body shapes. The only small body I’ve had was a Larrivee P-03 that had a K&K, which just didn’t have the volume I needed running direct to a board. I now use a Red Eye preamp, and that’s worked great with K&Ks in the Silvertone and a Gibson AJ I had. I hope if I go the same route with the Brown, it’ll give me a usable live tone.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

Like you I mix fingerstyle and strumming/picking. I recently purchased a Bourgeois LDBO (I am NOT trying to sway you away from your local luthier!). Frankly, I'm amazed at the overall tone -and volume when I want it- but it retains wonderful tone whether loud or soft. So what you're looking for is possible with a small body. My Bourgeois has a cherry body, which I'd NEVER thought I'd purchase, until I heard this one. HOWEVER, IMHO the ability of a given guitar to be versatile and handle both soft and "hard driving" playing is strongly dependent on the top. My LDBO has a torrefied Adirondack top. Adi is known for handling a strong attack well, so if I was building another small guitar and wanted a wide dynamic range I'd go with an Adi top. Whether it is baked or not is a personal decision on the cost/benefit. Good luck, sounds exciting!
Old 06-29-2019, 09:46 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
I've played several L-00s, and I own a Waterloo WL12, which is based on Gibson-made Kalamazoo models. All hold up to a pick quite well, although heavy strumming probably isn't their strong suit.
Great feel, comfort, and with short scales, ease of play. But I've never played a L-00 that held up to heavy strumming. If you use a "hybrid" fingerstyle, pic strumming, they are usually very good.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:24 PM

I have a vintage L-00 and a modern, Fairbanks L2, both Adi/red spruce tops. Mostly flatpicked but some fingerpicking as well.
I specifically play old time, fiddle tunes, early jazz, and country blues on mine. It excels at all those styles.

One of the most versatile guitars IMO.

Last edited by oliverkollar; 06-29-2019 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:29 AM

I get the urge to buy a locally-made instrument. We have a repair shop close by which made its name when they modified what would become Jimmy Page's No. 1 Les Paul. They also build versions of Gibson acoustics which came into the shop for repair and which were in such bad shape they had to take them apart giving them the opportunity to document the build. Last time I was up there they had a 1936 AJ and a pair of later-1930s L-00s with their moniker on the headstock. Based on the originals I had played these were about as close to capturing the sound and feel of the originals as I have yet to hear.

Last edited by zombywoof; 06-30-2019 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:26 AM

I added a Northwood deep body L-OO to my stable. It has a great sound, and compliments the Santa Cruz, Merrill, and Brondel.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:56 AM

I'm a longtime L-OO guy and I like them for strumming. Not your typical dread sound of course. Not as full and bass-y but very focused and cool sounding. A little dark with an old time vibe. I've also known several singer/songwriters who preformed with small body guitars. Greg Brown and Dave Moore come to mind.
As others have mentioned it probably won't hold up to a real aggressive strumming. Sounds like a good trade.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/
Old 06-30-2019, 09:22 AM

Thanks for your replies so far, everyone. For reference, here’s the guitar I’d be trading for. As I mentioned, it’s a sort of one-off, with a bound fingerboard and Nick Lucas-style inlays. Definitely not one of Larry’s normal “workhorse” look.

Old 06-30-2019, 10:08 AM

I have a Halcyon 00 NL (handmade in Vancouver BC) that is a GREAT strummer. It is Lutz spruce over rosewood and has a deep body. This guitar sounds huge and works for fingerstyle, flat pick, and strumming.
I’d say go for it.

Roger
Old 06-30-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc3797 View Post
I’ve got an opportunity to trade one of my guitars for a custom L-00 style instrument built by Larry Brown in Asheville, NC. The idea of having a custom-made instrument by a fellow North Carolinian is something that really appeals to me, and I love mahogany over spruce instruments, but I don’t have much experience with the L-00. I play about 50/50 strumming and fingerstyle, and I understand it will likely be a killer fingerstyle instrument, but I’m wondering about how it will work if I dig in strumming with my fingers or a flat pick. Can you guys who have/have played smaller-bodied instruments outside of the fingerstyle “realm” comment on the versatility (or lack thereof)? I’m planning on having a pickup installed, so volume alone shouldn’t be an issue for live playing.

It depends on what you are expecting tone/dynamics/volume wise.

It's not gonna sound like a dread flatpicked, you are not going to have the volume/power/depth of tone, just due to the smaller size.

It won't be a meek guitar, it just is what it is, a smaller bodied guitar. They are certainly versatile, but, if you notice, the L-00's are really cherished by players who play more in the jazz/blues/ragtime realm. They are great for simple folk/country music as well.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion