The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-03-2014, 08:10 AM

Default OnSong App

I saw a mention of this app in another thread.....

Like many, it was a heck of a lot easier to remember words and music way back when. I hate using a music stand. It seems so....unprofessional?

I'd like to hear from users of this app. I currently get much of my stuff from Ultimate Guitar Tab app on my ipad. I don't have a personal laptop. How do I get words and chords into OnSong?

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2014, 08:25 AM

Too much going on these days for me to sit and remember a lot of lyrics. LOL

I use OnSong myself but in the simplest form.

Go to any site that has lyrics, tap the screen (on iPad) and a "copy" icon will come up. You can drag the two "dots" to select the lyrics you want. Copy, then switch to the OnSong app and choose new song. I'm lazy so I just wipe out all of the header stuff and type the song title, leave a few spaces, then tap the screen and select paste. You can then edit out some of the stuff you don't want.

If I need them I put chord changes to the side rather than on every verse, and then adjust the lyric font size. I put my iPad on a holder, switch the background to black with white lettering, and I'm set to go. If you use a white background on stage and it's dark you'll look like you have a spotlight on you. LOL

You can also make up "Sets" and arrange the songs in the order your going to perform them in. You just slide the screen to the left and the next tune pops up.

I've seen a LOT of performers including Yo Yo Ma, Joe Jackson, and others using an iPad on stage so why not me. Hey, I see a lot of bands using music stands. In fact I saw a Video of David Crosby with CPR doing a Steely Dan tune and he had a music stand w/sheets of paper in front of him. I'm assuming it was lyrics.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:08 PM

From within the app you can also search for songs and download them directly. Long time happy Onsong user here. Search this forum, you'll find a lot of instructions on setting up Onsong.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:43 PM
Charter Member

Get a Dropbox account. Load all your sheets there, then sync and import them into OnSong. Easiest way and you can share them with your band mates.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

I use OnSong. Easy to search for a song or artist from the app, then download. Use a slider to change the key. Fast and easy to use. And, no paper!
Old 09-04-2014, 01:05 AM

I've used it for a number of years - great app. Check their website too for videos and further tips on how to use.
Froggy Bottom P12
Collings OM2H
SCGC Parlour
Kronbauer TDK Mini Jumbo
Danocaster Tele
Heritage H535/Bareknuckles
Taylor T5 Custom
Contreras nylon
Old 11-03-2014, 03:01 AM

I started using it this year. Before I never even put chords in my songbook (I just referenced my books of sheet music when necessary), but now I'm playing in church again and have to transpose to play with a piano and organ. I also keep sheet music in PDF format in OnSong. My little iPad has replaced all my heavy binders and books. I love it.

I edit text files on my computer (easier and quicker for me) and upload to Dropbox. I haven't finished my whole chord songbook yet, but I have about 300 chord sheets done ... and about 450 PDFs.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

Perfect thread!!! I'm looking to get an ipad for this.

**All of my lyrics are in word files.. .doc . It is my understanding that these can be used on this app on ipad.. is this correct?**

If this is correct, I already have a dropbox, so I'm good to go!

Thank you!
Old 11-26-2014, 06:31 AM

Original poster here. Have used OnSong for numerous gigs and worship band sit ins since my first post. Bought the mic stand ipad holder....the whole deal is great. Highly recommend this.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:50 AM

I like it and an iPad is much handier than a spiral notebook or three ring binder. As mentioned, a Dropbox account is handy, in more ways than just for music.

If you decide to go with OnSong, take advantage of the console feature. It allows you to work on your computer/laptop for all the editing then syncs your work on the fly with your iPad. Very handy and less tedious than working off the iPad.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

Can I use my MS Word files with the OnSong app on an ipad?
Old 11-26-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave42 View Post
Can I use my MS Word files with the OnSong app on an ipad?
you can save each Word file as a .pdf and import, or select all the text and copy into OnSong which is what the app prefers for editing, transposing, displaying chords, changing fonts, etc.

but if you're comfortable with your Word document being correct and never needing a change, by all means you it. But if anticipate a need to ever share or play with another player and need to to do any editing then use the copy and paste method.

OnSong also has the ability to print and share which can also both be handy features.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Thanks!
Looks like I'm buying an ipad soon.
Have a great day!
Old 11-26-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsusean View Post
you can save each Word file as a .pdf and import, or select all the text and copy into OnSong which is what the app prefers for editing, transposing, displaying chords, changing fonts, etc....
What do you mean "copy into OnSong"?

I have OnSong, and would like to use this method but am not clear on what you mean.
Gibson J-30
Walden CO500 (camper)
Fender FSR BSB Telecaster
Old 11-26-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitoolong View Post
What do you mean "copy into OnSong"?

I have OnSong, and would like to use this method but am not clear on what you mean.

select the lyrics that you want to copy from your Word file, or internet browser, then copy that text onto your clipboard. Once the OnSong app is open and you are in the song you want to edit, paste that text into the song that you are editing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic