The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-13-2010, 08:56 AM

Default Parkwood PW-510

Hello Everyone,

First AGF post. Go easy on me.

A couple of weeks ago I decided to buy a new steel string to upgrade my Yamaha FG730S (very popular model around here, I see.) I had about $xxx to spend. After spending a couple of hours in the Guitar Center acoustic room, I came home with a Martin DX-1. After getting more playing time under my belt, and comparing the sound of the DX-1 next to the Yamaha, I noticed a certain lack of complexity in the Martin's tone that bothered me. It definitely had that low end rumble, but otherwise the sound seemed kind of one dimensional. I decided to take advantage of GC's 30 day return policy and exchange it for a different guitar.

So there I am, back at square one. Trying lots of guitars, especially Seagulls, Epi Masterbuilts, and Breedloves. They had a pretty good sounding used Martin 00 size that I liked, but the intonation was off on the low E. Anyhoo, long story short, out of the corner of my eye I spy a dreadnaught hanging up all by itself in the corner, sort of out of the way. Parkwood, I think, huh, don't know them. It's barely in my price range so I pick it up and give it a strum. Sounded pretty impressive. Before that, my #1 pick was a cedar topped Seagull, but after playing the Parkwood I had to go back and forth between the two, comparing tone/playability and trying to make a decision. The Parkwood was significantly more $$$, but in the end I went with it. Solid woods, bone nut and saddle, etc. And a nice woody tone with a fair amount of complexity.

So, anyone have one of these guitars? After buying it I looked up Parkwood and found that it's a Guitar Center store brand. This bothered me a little until I picked it up and played it again. What do you guys think of these PW510's?
Old 07-13-2010, 09:43 AM

Default wow

My first post is a double! Off to a great start...
Old 07-13-2010, 11:08 AM

Welcome to the AGF!

I played some Parkwoods at a GC before I purchased my Breedlove and thought they sounded sweet. Not sure where they're made, how they're reviewed, etc. but the one I played (a dread, perhaps the model you're referring to) was very nice. In the end, if you like them and think they'll make you want to play more/better, I say that you should go with that. The name on the headstock is not the be all, end all.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 01-24-2015, 09:54 AM

I Know the postings above are five years old, but I still had to comment since I am a very proud owner of a Parkwood PW510. I bought it used a few years back from e-bay, the seller said he would refund my money if I didn't like it......well a few years later...still a great to guitar to play, never regretted buying her.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:57 AM

Glad you revived this post because I was really impressed with a Parkwood I had a couple of years ago. Unfortunately the neck was bowed and I sent it back(ha,ha) but... man the sound was there. These are Corts premium guitar line(boo) but hey, very nice sounding, Id try a used one again for a good price.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueinpr View Post
I Know the postings above are five years old, but I still had to comment since I am a very proud owner of a Parkwood PW510. I bought it used a few years back from e-bay, the seller said he would refund my money if I didn't like it......well a few years later...still a great to guitar to play, never regretted buying her.

Whoa, just found this thread, having totally forgotten about it. Cool that people are still "discovering" Parkwoods.

Five years later, I still own and play mine. It really is a solid guitar; the overall tonal balance is tilted a little towards the highs, but it does have some sparkle and jangle and avoids ever seeming tinny or thin. The real thing is the playability - it came factory set up with low, easy action.

It's funny to find this old thread years later. I'm back on the forums because I'm in the market for a parlor guitar. The Parkwood PW-510 isn't going anywhere though; no way I'm selling that gem!
Old 07-07-2019, 08:21 AM

Default NGD

Reviving and old thread...I just picked up an '06 PW510 "Handcrafted in Korea" Solid wood sitka over rosewood, cheap. Reminds me of my old H&D TDR believe it or not. Sounds/plays fantastic. Not many of these around from what I can see. Really, really impressed!

Old 07-07-2019, 09:37 AM

I have one, and had a similar Guitar Center experience as the OP--as in playing a bunch of guitars, taking this one off the hook and thinking right off, "Hey, this one's better." As already mentioned they are/were Cort's attempt at building a higher spec model. From the rarity of mentions here and elsewhere I doubt they sold many. Cort makes a lot of guitars at a lot of facilities in various countries with a lot of brand-names that aren't Cort's on the headstock.

I think mine still sounds nice. As the OP mentions it can supply some of that rosewood extra harmonic content when I want that. I don't play my dreads as much as smaller bodied guitars, but I sure enjoy mine when I get it out.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion