The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-17-2019, 09:50 AM

Same here. I have an old ipad so my phone is so much faster for using the Songbook app. Plus I create my set lists using my phone. I only use the ipad for gig day. I also have Ultimate Guitar Tabs on my ipad when someone requests a song I don't know yet...sometimes I can fake my way through it using the tab.
Also, not I just find a new song on Ultimate Guitar, then share it to my Songbook App and then make some quick edits and its ready to go! I used to create a PDF sheet for each song, but thats a lot more work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
It’s great. I have the app on my phone as well in case I don’t want to deal wth the iPad or if I ever forget it. Everything syncs to Dropbox. It’s a game changer.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:47 AM

Default Something I haven't seen addressed in this thread

...is songs which are longer than one page. I think that would be most of them. Is there some technology of which I am not aware that would help a player flip to the next page?

I've already got an ipad which I use all the time. But I can't see having to reach down mid-song to compel it to the next page.
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2016 Taylor 214ce-Nylon
2015 Ventura VWDONAT
Old 06-17-2019, 11:40 AM

There is a foot pedal called Airturn which you can use.

What I do is first try and condense it down to one page and if I cant do that,
I can find a spot where I am holding a chord or something and scroll the page then. Or you can import the file and use the auto-scroll feature in the app. Just need to time it properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
...is songs which are longer than one page. I think that would be most of them. Is there some technology of which I am not aware that would help a player flip to the next page?

I've already got an ipad which I use all the time. But I can't see having to reach down mid-song to compel it to the next page.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post

I have only ever used the OnSong App and I just use the auto-scroll feature
Just enter the aprox. duration time (3:00) minutes etc. Then the next song is just a left swipe. The benefit of this is, I can also make the font larger and I like the black background white font option especially for low light stage situations

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 06-17-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
Yeah, rechargeable BATTERIES. Welcome to 2019 where people assume you'll have access to electricity at all times (especially the most inappropriate times when your batteries are most likely to die), where people believe that their tech will always work, that they'll never drop or otherwise damage their device, and where they're willing to share all their data and location with their corporate tech "partners".
Weird flex, but ok.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS

Last edited by The Kid!; 06-17-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
Yeah, rechargeable BATTERIES. Welcome to 2019 where people assume you'll have access to electricity at all times (especially the most inappropriate times when your batteries are most likely to die), where people believe that their tech will always work, that they'll never drop or otherwise damage their device, and where they're willing to share all their data and location with their corporate tech "partners".
Honestly, I never run into a gig where power isn’t available. I had one a few weeks ago outside, where I needed 50 feet of extension cord to get to it, but fortunately I had that in the car.

My iPad runs off of a USB port on the power strip attached to my board, so I always have power for it. If the power dies, then the iPad is the least of my worries.

All of my information backs up to dropbox, and it is accessible through the same app on my phone. If either were to break, I’d be fine. If both were to break, I’d be more irritated about both devices needing to be replaced than not being able to access lyrics for songs on a gig.

When I got a new phone last year, I downloaded the app and synched it to my dropbox, and I was up and running again almost immediately. I’ve had my iPad for a few years, and it’s working flawlessly.
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 06-18-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
I’ve had my iPad for a few years, and it’s working flawlessly.
Mine is pretty old, too.

However, I never used it for that, just a list or two.

I thought we had to memorize our stuff, I've always done it that way. Hundreds of songs, tens of thousands words using up brain data. I don't even write the key of the song on a list, I remember that too.

That explains why I forget peoples names....

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 06-18-2019, 08:42 AM

I use an ipad with the play list on "Pages" (the Apple word processor) with those three or four songs whose lyrics I am uncertain about (or learning) after the list if I need them. I format the lyrics so they fit on the page to avoid scrolling. I do all the list creation on a laptop and use the cloud drive to put them on the ipad. And I can't play without power because I use an amp and pedals.

A big book of songs is just too awkward to deal with and I think it creates a distance with the audience, when you stop and page through trying to find one song or another. And it means you need some kind of music stand, also between you and the audience. An ipad on a clamp on the mike stand is much smaller and more functional imho.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 06-18-2019, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Moral of the story below: Keep your hard copy backups.

In 2011 I bought an iPad 2. One of my son's hated a short term (several weeks) job, so I hired him to scan my sheet music into pdf files to put on the iPad into iBooks.

It was wonderful for about 5 years. Then, after performing one of the "standard iPad operating system updates", it wiped EVERYTHING out of iBooks.

Fortunately, I had all the pdfs stored on my iMac, as well as on a couple of hard drives.

Unfortunately with the Apple software changes, it is impossible to transfer the pdf files from any other device to the iPad 2. I talked to all the Apple tech gurus, even one of the most senior engineers, all with screen sharing etc. Impossible task.

The only thing that the Apple gurus could suggest was for me to email myself individual PDFs, and then directly download the pdfs from my email on the iPad 2 back into iBooks on the iPad 2. Unfortunately, most of the PDFs are larger than the max that gmail will allow, so most of my library is no longer on my iPad 2.

So, hundreds of hours wasted.

I still have the music on an iMac, several hard drives, and part of the collection on Dropbox. (The whole collection is about 6 GB, so free Dropbox maxed out quickly, and I'm not interested in paying them every month just to maintain access to music that I already paid for twice - once for the music and a second time to scan it into PDF files.)

I am enamored with the larger screen iPad Pro, but very distrustful of the destructive power "software updates". I have 35 years of experience (military, online medical records, and now music pdfs) with destructive "software updates" and software changes.

Also, I see all these newer programs and apps that many here are using, and I am reminded of the same cycle:

1) Great new system - way better than it's predecessors!
2) Therefore complex and time consuming learning curve
3) Invest the time and money in the new system
4) Hallelujah - Love it!
5) 1 - 5 years later: hardware and / or software now out of date. Data lost or destroyed by deterioration, "software updates" software changes, old device no longer supports new software etc.
6) start all over.

Sorry to be cynical: The result of being burned too many times. I would welcome a permanent solution - well, something that will last as long as I will.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
Moral of the story below: Keep your hard copy backups.

In 2011 I bought an iPad 2. One of my son's hated a short term (several weeks) job, so I hired him to scan my sheet music into pdf files to put on the iPad into iBooks.

It was wonderful for about 5 years. Then, after performing one of the "standard iPad operating system updates", it wiped EVERYTHING out of iBooks.

Fortunately, I had all the pdfs stored on my iMac, as well as on a couple of hard drives.

Unfortunately with the Apple software changes, it is impossible to transfer the pdf files from any other device to the iPad 2. I talked to all the Apple tech gurus, even one of the most senior engineers, all with screen sharing etc. Impossible task.

The only thing that the Apple gurus could suggest was for me to email myself individual PDFs, and then directly download the pdfs from my email on the iPad 2 back into iBooks on the iPad 2. Unfortunately, most of the PDFs are larger than the max that gmail will allow, so most of my library is no longer on my iPad 2.

So, hundreds of hours wasted.

I still have the music on an iMac, several hard drives, and part of the collection on Dropbox. (The whole collection is about 6 GB, so free Dropbox maxed out quickly, and I'm not interested in paying them every month just to maintain access to music that I already paid for twice - once for the music and a second time to scan it into PDF files.)

I am enamored with the larger screen iPad Pro, but very distrustful of the destructive power "software updates". I have 35 years of experience (military, online medical records, and now music pdfs) with destructive "software updates" and software changes.

Also, I see all these newer programs and apps that many here are using, and I am reminded of the same cycle:

1) Great new system - way better than it's predecessors!
2) Therefore complex and time consuming learning curve
3) Invest the time and money in the new system
4) Hallelujah - Love it!
5) 1 - 5 years later: hardware and / or software now out of date. Data lost or destroyed by deterioration, "software updates" software changes, old device no longer supports new software etc.
6) start all over.

Sorry to be cynical: The result of being burned too many times. I would welcome a permanent solution - well, something that will last as long as I will.
That's rough. Mine is backed up to dropbox. I just download the app and synch.
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 06-18-2019, 03:26 PM

on a related note.....

I like having my ipad on a separate mic stand instead of clipped to my main mic stand. I like to put it lower and a few feet away so it's not so obvious.
If I'm standing, I'll have it around knee height, angled up.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:51 PM

I had to buy a new ipad because the "Pages" program was updated and would no longer function on the old hardware. I didn't lose the information which was all on my laptop, but I was out of pocket for the new ipad. This is a real hazard as ceciltguitar suggested, but the simpler the software, the less time lost. But I don't think we can escape the industry standards of planned obsolesence. I now have a perfectly functional ipad that I can't use because time has passed it by. Not a bad metaphor for my own life, now that I think of it...
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 06-18-2019, 04:02 PM

I have to try songpro, been photographing pages which isn't great.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
I had to buy a new ipad because the "Pages" program was updated and would no longer function on the old hardware. I didn't lose the information which was all on my laptop, but I was out of pocket for the new ipad. This is a real hazard as ceciltguitar suggested, but the simpler the software, the less time lost. But I don't think we can escape the industry standards of planned obsolesence. I now have a perfectly functional ipad that I can't use because time has passed it by. Not a bad metaphor for my own life, now that I think of it...
If you backup and synchronize to drop box, you can switch apps and still have all your info.
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 06-18-2019, 08:34 PM

Two of the singers in my band use iPads. They don't have to lean the songs. I am holding everyone back my memorizing. On the other hand, if they have a glitch----no singing.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic