The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-27-2020, 11:22 AM

Default Acoustic booth for home practice

I’m struggling to have the possibility to play/practice home. I live in an apartment and my free time is mostly at evening when people want silence. Even during day I need to take precautions to avoid problems with the neighbors.
I am thinking about buying an acoustic booth, but it’s an expensive option and I want to ensure it's worth it.
Is anyone using an acoustic booth for practice in an apartment?
Like this one: https://en.demvox.com/products/eco-s...-booths/eco400

Thanks,
Costa
Old 11-27-2020, 11:39 AM

Would you be open to buying an electric guitar and one of those new portable amps (the Yamaha THR series comes to mind, but I think there are even cheaper options), and practicing with headphones on?

I know it is NOT the same experience as an acoustic - and I vastly prefer the acoustic sound to an electric myself - but it can be a cheaper - relative to the price of those booths - option that allows one to keep getting better at the guitar and not bother neighbours/family.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:47 AM

Yamaha silent guitar through headphones?
Old 11-27-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingSparrow View Post
Would you be open to buying an electric guitar and one of those new portable amps (the Yamaha THR series comes to mind, but I think there are even cheaper options), and practicing with headphones on?

I know it is NOT the same experience as an acoustic - and I vastly prefer the acoustic sound to an electric myself - but it can be a cheaper - relative to the price of those booths - option that allows one to keep getting better at the guitar and not bother neighbours/family.
I already have an electric guitar and basically is what am playing now, and as you said is not the same
Also is nicer to play the electric with a cabinet instead the headphones.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

The acoustic booth you reference is more for treating the environment to record vocals, etc. Not to soundproof the area outside the booth.

So no. Not worth it because it wouldn't solve your issue.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinL View Post
Yamaha silent guitar through headphones?
I have a pedal as an acoustic simulator for the electic, I believe it want be far. Sometimes I play it without the amp just for the acoustic sound.

But to try something like this you can't with the silent guitar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4cJ4wviwS8

Also if I want to sing along.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
The acoustic booth you reference is more for treating the environment to record vocals, etc. Not to soundproof the area outside the booth.

So no. Not worth it because it wouldn't solve your issue.
Do you think so? The claim is good for vocals and guitars, violins, saxos and so on.
They have other for drums and bass guitar, obviously more expensive and requires some from the factory to install what it will be much more expensive, for me it required travel between countries.
Definitely it requires that I need to make a real test before make a final decision.

I always suspect these acoustic booths because there not much people using it.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Yes, I do. The claim is good for recording,.. not soundproofing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa View Post
Do you think so? The claim is good for vocals and guitars, violins, saxos and so on.
They have other for drums and bass guitar, obviously more expensive and requires some from the factory to install what it will be much more expensive, for me it required travel between countries.
Definitely it requires that I need to make a real test before make a final decision.

I always suspect these acoustic booths because there not much people using it.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
The acoustic booth you reference is more for treating the environment to record vocals, etc. Not to soundproof the area outside the booth...
The site for the booth has a section on its soundproofing and noise reduction.
https://en.demvox.com/products/eco-s...-booths/eco400
I think that is what the OP was looking for.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Those booths look a bit pricey. Plus how are they ventilated? They might get a bit stuffy during the summer.

Maybe a silent guitar?

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-27-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Those booths look a bit pricey. Plus how are they ventilated? They might get a bit stuffy during the summer.

Maybe a silent guitar?
They have ventilation, but yes they are pricey and not only a bit
Old 11-27-2020, 01:51 PM

I used to work for a large radio network. While there were sections that dealt with music recording, a common need was for spaces for recording news and documentary work.

I wasn't an audio engineer, but I worked alongside them. This was late 20th century/early this century, but I don't know if anything has outdated in this area.

When speed or expense was a factor we'd often choose to go with booths. In other situations the company would build purpose-built studios, including room within room and all the trimmings. But design/permits/construction work for purpose-built took time and even though booths weren't cheap, they were cheaper. They did provide good sound isolation--not so I could talk loudly outside one with a live mic (I have a loud voice!) but not so normal quieter environmental noise made it on air. Sound wise, even the news folks were picky about audio quality and approved of the sound that came out of them.

We usually used stuff made by Wenger who have a web site at wengercorp.com

A common use for Wenger's products is practice booths for music schools/classes. They claim reflections are taken care of along with the considerable degree of sound isolation. Yes, they can be linked to HVAC or a fan.

If one has the money for this sort of thing, one could contact them or a similar vendor to talk about your needs.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 11-27-2020, 01:56 PM

Costa,

stephenT is correct. While those booths certainly will lower the volume a little bit they are not made for this duty and are not very efficient. You need mass/weight to stop a 82 Hz (low E) wave with a length of more than 4 meters from walking through.
It would be much more effektive to built an elevated floor and built brick walls around a small room in the room.

You really should google „studio acoustic“. There are a few communities with well educated people who can help. Get your inspiration from there. This is serious science!
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 11-27-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I used to work for a large radio network. While there were sections that dealt with music recording, a common need was for spaces for recording news and documentary work.

I wasn't an audio engineer, but I worked alongside them. This was late 20th century/early this century, but I don't know if anything has outdated in this area.

When speed or expense was a factor we'd often choose to go with booths. In other situations the company would build purpose-built studios, including room within room and all the trimmings. But design/permits/construction work for purpose-built took time and even though booths weren't cheap, they were cheaper. They did provide good sound isolation--not so I could talk loudly outside one with a live mic (I have a loud voice!) but not so normal quieter environmental noise made it on air. Sound wise, even the news folks were picky about audio quality and approved of the sound that came out of them.

We usually used stuff made by Wenger who have a web site at wengercorp.com

A common use for Wenger's products is practice booths for music schools/classes. They claim reflections are taken care of along with the considerable degree of sound isolation. Yes, they can be linked to HVAC or a fan.

If one has the money for this sort of thing, one could contact them or a similar vendor to talk about your needs.

Good info, thanks, I will investigate wengercorp.com.
Old 11-27-2020, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Second the silent guitar through headphones options. I liked the concept so much I upgraded to one that I can travel with anywhere and use in quiet hotel rooms

Last edited by Acousticado; 11-27-2020 at 10:17 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD