The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-27-2020, 12:37 PM

Last Spring, after looking at similar guitars, it came down to a Martin (on sale) and the Fender CC-60S. It was so close, but when I was able to get the Martin 000X-1E for $350 brand new, I went with it.

The Fender was so easy to play, had a solid spruce top, was Concert-sized, and the finish was impeccable. It was also a lot less expensive, but I was shopping for the best sound in that price range.

Link:
https://www.amazon.com/Fender-CC-60S...askcomdelta-20

I tried and rejected the Yamaha FS800, since it was a step down in sound and finish quality. After trying several, I moved on. It felt sterile and didn't "speak" to me.

I'm probably the only one here with that opinion, so take that for what it is worth.
Old 11-27-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseflesh View Post
but I'm also 75% sure that even if it was, its size would not make it a good choice for the long term
Yes, this is exactly what I knew when I took one look at my daughter holding that used Taylor 110 that I had so lovingly sought out for her and paid to have the full neck shim set-up.

We went on to a model that's somewhat between 000 and 00, not quite as small as a classic parlor. Although, size terminology in smaller bodies is getting pretty open to interpretation from a marketing perspective. The 12 fret decision just came about by accident as we liked what we heard.

Yes, I agree with others that a good set-up is very important. I'm also sure that in our case the size contributes to additional play time as well. I find myself sneaking off with my kids every chance I get. A lot of folks on the site use these sizes.

I really believe it helps to try a bunch, which certainly isn't as easy right now. You seem to be on the right track. As long as you bring them home, she'll let you know when you've found it.

Best regards,

Mac
Old 11-29-2020, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Another vote for Orangewood. They extended their Black Friday sale.

http://www.orangewoodguitars.com
Old 11-29-2020, 01:20 PM

Thanks again everyone for the advice. We decided to go Orangewood. The Oliver is a 00/Grand Concert which will surely fit her better than the enormous Fifty Dollar Takamine.

An Orangewood is not as cool as finding a good price on a Seagull S6 next door, but it seems to be a pretty safe pick. Having bought it on sale, there seems to be a good chance that if she hates it, I can flip it for a small loss. And, since they come with a proper setup, no chance of more cost/delay as could well be the case with a used instrument.

It is kind of fun scouring Craigslist and Reverb for a deal on a groovy guitar. I will keep an eye on used stuff but I needed to break out of Analysis Paralysis and make a decision.

We did get the Live version since we actually have a musician's PA that we use for karaoke. She can practice strumming and singing if she likes and I can load it up with reverb and chorus effects ... enough fx make anyone sound good, right? Hah.

A couple of months ago we had zero guitars, today we have four. It better stop here, at least until we can PLAY something.

Now I can stop researching acoustic guitars and get back to figuring out how to play my bass. (Though, I do want to get the tools and figure out how to set up the Takamine.)
Old 12-07-2020, 09:09 PM

The Oliver Live arrived today and our initial impressions are that it is a good fit for her. It's much easier to handle than the Fifty Dollar Takamine dreadnought. And I think the wider neck was a good move.

I am a novice but the setup seems good out of the box, as they promised. The neck seems laser-flat... I cannot see any relief which I thought was unusual, but there is also no fret buzz anywhere that I can find and I guess that is what counts.

It was interesting to compare it to the Fifty Dollar Takamine, which very clearly is louder and nicer-sounding. But it doesn't matter how it sounds if you don't like picking it up.

Thanks again for all the advice, it was much appreciated!
Old 12-07-2020, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

That’s great! 😃
Old 12-08-2020, 10:31 AM

Seagull S6 if you bump your budget up a bit.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:05 AM

Even though the Orangewood arrived, I have a short list of guitars including the S6 which I'll be watching out for.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:55 AM

But the standard Seagull S6 is still a dreadnought sized guitar. You should specifically search out a folk (or orchestra) sized S6. That would still make a great guitar, had an S6 Folk (cedar top/laminate cherry bottom and sides) - nice guitar!
Old 12-09-2020, 09:47 AM

First off, has to be a dreadnaught. Best sound all round for a beginner, size is a bit scary at first, but its all about the sound. A Dread will suit any music she wants to play.

I starting learning back in March, My tutor advised get a Yamaha, Fender or a Cort dreadnaught, in that order. I wanted to buy a Yamaha in that price range but didn't like the sound, too plain/modern for my ears.

I liked the sound of a Sigma dread and a Fender CD140SCE, the Fender came with a free hardcase so was a bargain. I bought the Fender and it has been flawless, just changed the strings for the first time and its even better.

I would have gone for the Fender CD-60S instead as i didn't need the cutaway or the electrics but I couldn't get stock at the time, its the same guitar with no cutaway or electrics. There are solid spruce top and Mahogany top options. Knowing more about the sound i like now i would have gone for the Mahogany top, but Spruce is the best all rounder.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion