The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-15-2011, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

Question Newtone Masterclass strings-any user reviews out there?

which have you tried: phosphur bronze or the 80/20 bronze?

what guitar do you use it on( top and back wood also if you don't mind)

thanks
d
Old 07-15-2011, 09:50 PM

Yes - I've recently used them on my tour of strings. D-28 Marquis (Indian rosewood back/sides - Adirondack top), medium gauge phosphor bronze:

Beautiful tone - woody, lets the guitar through. No jangle, full classy heart, very clear trebles. Would be on my short list of A+ strings but for the fatal flaw of having severe intonation problems.

Now I have used just one set, and I couldn't begin to explain the geometry behind a certain string brand making a guitar an intonation nightmare, but it is so. Struggled with them for 12 hours, took them off, replaced with D'Addario medium gauge PB and my intonation snapped back into true. The D'Addario sounds loud, strong, firm, bright, secure, and without a hint of class. This tale of two strings was a Ferrari that spent more time in the shop than on the street and a Toyota Camry that always showed up on time.

For my D-28, neither string made the grade.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:25 PM
Charter Member

Are these roundcore strings?

If so maybe that might be the culpret based on how you strung them up(cutting before adding some tension), just a thought.

Thanks for replying
D
Old 07-15-2011, 11:42 PM

Well - I've got the cutting after the tension thing covered, but una nunca sabe, eh Vato? All strings on the tour are round core PB.

Try them - might work well for you. My favs are Thomastik-Infeld by a long margin. Simply sublime. These are dark chocolate-toned gems from deep in the soul. If your guitar has no sparkle, these might not work. My D-28 has much of everything and these TI mediums cradle like liquid cotton. These, you must try if you're onto Newtone Masterclass. All intonation being equal, Newtone are a distant second.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
which have you tried: phosphur bronze or the 80/20 bronze?

what guitar do you use it on( top and back wood also if you don't mind)

thanks
d
Daryl, apart from the occasional experiment with other strings, I have used nothing but Newtone Masterclass PB 12-54 for several years now on the following guitars - Cedar/mahogany Lowden S10 and Fylde Ariel; cedar/rosewood Fylde Alexander and Lowden O25; spruce/rosewood Fylde Oberon.

Love the tone and feel. In UK they are very cheap too. For me they last as long as any uncoated string. And yes, they are round-core.

Landru - I have never had any intonation problem with these strings, and must have used several hundred sets by now.

Keith
Old 07-16-2011, 09:55 AM

On that recommendation, I'm happy to try the Masterclass again - a truly beautiful sounding string.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

thanks guys

i have some ordered, i've heard them to be very nice in the past, so i'm excited to give them a whirl

d
Old 07-16-2011, 12:30 PM

I've tried about four sets of them, among others during the last three months. I run thru a set about every 40 hours or so, or ever two weeks or less.

The good: A really nice sounding set of strings. (I really need to add that I'm speaking about the double wound Masterclass, which more than a couple friends noticed when I didn't cut them... sooo retro!)

The bad: I did notice intonation issues on my Lowden O25, but not as bad as my old standby GHS Laurence Jubers. When I went to some Wyres strings though the intonation issues went away. They also really faded at the end.

For the price, I'm looking the Wyres direction, although I'm still experimenting with type and size. I switch back and forth to different tunings and standard tuning about four times daily daily so that really wears out a set of strings. (Yeah, I wish I could afford a second guitar for alt tuning... I'm trying!) The Wyres strings, who's tone and longevity I like the best also had an achillies heel, that being I've broke two strings in the past two weeks. Including them, I've only broke three strings in the past three years since I started so that could be a problem.

All in all the Masterclass aren't bad. For me I like a couple other brands a little bit better but I don't think one can go wrong with them.
-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster

Last edited by jay7347; 07-16-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:06 PM

I am loving Newtone Masterclass strings on my OM. I tried a set of .013 80/20s, which I like quite a bit, and I currently have a fresh set of .013 Phosphor Bronze on her right now. I can't decide whether I like the bronze or the brass better, but I love Newtones. The are responsive, feel great, sound beautiful, and last about 6 weeks for me.

I did not love the Masterclass double-wound strings as much. The felt great under the fingers, but the sound was very dark - too dark for my tastes. Some people would love them!

2009 Huss & Dalton TOM-R
1925 Washburn 5200
Old 07-16-2011, 04:57 PM

i haved been using newtones almost exclusively for about four years now

brilliant strings!

the masterclass 80/20 aren't great and there are better 80/20's out there

the phosphor bronze are truly superb

however the real gem of the newtone line is the double wound masterclass

my ultimate string and they make my OM into a cello

warmth, rich, and powerful

i adore them and stock up them whenever i can
Old 07-16-2011, 05:14 PM

Masterclass double-wounds are dark, warm, rich, powerful? Sound so intriguing.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:55 PM

I've used (and sold them) for about 8 years now. I do get the odd string that needs to be spanked and replaced. One in a while there are intonation issues. I have the double wound Master class on my '58 D21 and they sound really warm. I think I might change out to the standard Master Class for a little more brightness. I love the Heritage Lights on my 1898 00-18 They have the tension of gut, but they let the guitar sing.
My '28 018K has thomastik Plectrum strings at the moment and they sound fantastic on this guitar. Also on my Thompson T2X. My 47 D-18 has Medium Lights and they are perfect for this guitar.

All in all, my favourite strings are the Thomastik Plectrum series and the Newtone Master Class.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:24 PM

I'm amazed and a little satisfied that the Masterclass have reported intonation issues - that means I still have some marbles left in me brine.

Anyone have experience with Pyramid or Wyres strings?
Old 07-16-2011, 07:42 PM

I use the 80/20 version because I like that worn in sound from the off which they give me...the PB's are too warm on my already warm EIR/European spruce 000. The sustain is excellent and has a textural quality in the bass without being jangly. They are also very long-lived for uncoated strings.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:48 PM

stringjunky; What brand of strings are you referring to?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion