The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-23-2020, 06:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Fender Setting Sales Records in a Pandemic Year

I assume some of you other folks saw this as well. I've spoken to several other vendors in the industry experiencing the same thing.

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/fen...in-its-history
Old 11-23-2020, 07:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

It's unlikely (though not impossible) that we'll have our best year ever, but it's going to be a very good year no matter what. Since the pandemic started, website traffic is up dramatically, and sales are up consistently vs the last couple of years, which weren't bad by any stretch.

One of the biggest turnarounds that we're seeing is brand new, high end guitars. With such a fertile and soft used market, it seemed that it was all about used for brands like Collings... but this year, brand new sales have come back in a major way. Still regular inquiries and satisfying sales numbers on the upper end of the used stuff (used Brazilian guitars, etc) because a lot of people seem to be thinking "If not now, when?"

Healthy sales of Calton flight cases, even though few are traveling. Even the people who are happy with their guitars and mandolins are sometimes in a position to spoil them with new digs.

For better or worse, we saw a huge banjo sales spike (no pun intended) at the beginning of the pandemic, but it has come back to normal levels now.

Acoustic Music Works
Guitars, Banjos, Mandolins & Good Company

A top dealer for Collings, Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopp, Baleno Instruments, Eastman, Pisgah Banjos, OME and ODE Banjos, Northfield Mandolins, and more!

(412) 422-0710
www.acousticmusicworks.com

Friend us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
Check out our YouTube channel!
Old 11-23-2020, 07:43 PM

For guitar enthusiasts, this is wonderful news.
"The Guitar is dead .. Long live the Guitar."
1977 Alvarez Yairi DY 57 / 2002 Martin DC-1E/ 2010 The Loar LH-700-VS/ 2012 Taylor Mini GS / 2015 Taylor 150e / 2015 Taylor 324ce SEB / 2018 Taylor 214e DLX / 2020 Taylor AD12e / 2021 Gibson J-185ce / 2022 Martin 000-15M
... and some electrics and such.
Old 11-26-2020, 02:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMW View Post
It's unlikely (though not impossible) that we'll have our best year ever, but it's going to be a very good year no matter what. Since the pandemic started, website traffic is up dramatically, and sales are up consistently vs the last couple of years, which weren't bad by any stretch.

One of the biggest turnarounds that we're seeing is brand new, high end guitars. With such a fertile and soft used market, it seemed that it was all about used for brands like Collings... but this year, brand new sales have come back in a major way. Still regular inquiries and satisfying sales numbers on the upper end of the used stuff (used Brazilian guitars, etc) because a lot of people seem to be thinking "If not now, when?"

Healthy sales of Calton flight cases, even though few are traveling. Even the people who are happy with their guitars and mandolins are sometimes in a position to spoil them with new digs.

For better or worse, we saw a huge banjo sales spike (no pun intended) at the beginning of the pandemic, but it has come back to normal levels now.
That's great to hear. We too have had a record year. Totally unexpected.

cheers!
scott
Old 11-27-2020, 07:54 AM

It's not just Fender. Back in Sept, Taylor, Martin, Gibson also stated that they have seen a significant sales jump (not sure if record year). Amazing.

Watch for lots of used guitars to hit the market next year when some people who picked up the guitar decided not to stick with it.
Old 11-27-2020, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
It's not just Fender. Back in Sept, Taylor, Martin, Gibson also stated that they have seen a significant sales jump (not sure if record year). Amazing.

Watch for lots of used guitars to hit the market next year when some people who picked up the guitar decided not to stick with it.
I wonder if increased sales are mostly Baby-Boomer related or if, finally, younger folks are now embracing guitars?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 11-27-2020, 02:58 PM

I think some credit should go to the coronavirus. Having people locked down and cooped up means more time to find things to do.

(I was made to quarantine on a trip recently. I am grateful I had my travel guitar with me, because I spent a lot of time on it!).
Old 11-27-2020, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpuhan View Post
I think some credit should go to the coronavirus. Having people locked down and cooped up means more time to find things to do...
I'm frankly not surprised and thought that this would be a good year for the online sale of music gear to the extent that gear was available....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-27-2020, 03:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post

I'm good friends with the folks from Eastman, and yes, you're correct, they're having a record year. Nice to hear that others are doing equally well.

sm
Old 11-27-2020, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpuhan View Post
I think some credit should go to the coronavirus. Having people locked down and cooped up means more time to find things to do.
For sure, doubt anyone would disagree with this and it’s consistent with other interests, disciplines, hobbies, second or renewed professions. Cooking is the obvious one, but I know a few non musicians who have also purchased keyboards to tackle a “someday” aspiration. This is THE mother rainy day of all rainy days.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 12-12-2020, 12:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroberts View Post
For sure, doubt anyone would disagree with this and it’s consistent with other interests, disciplines, hobbies, second or renewed professions. Cooking is the obvious one, but I know a few non musicians who have also purchased keyboards to tackle a “someday” aspiration. This is THE mother rainy day of all rainy days.
I've been mountain-biking for over 30 years. Recently I went to my local bike shop to get a quick tire change. They had no bikes in their huge, now-empty showroom. I thought, "Oh no, the pandemic has hit them so hard that they're going out of business."

A few weeks later I met a guy on the trail and we took to chat. I told him about the local shop and shared my concern about the local shop. He laughed and said, "No, it's the opposite. So many people have taken up riding since the pandemic started, they can't keep anything in stock."

I was glad to hear this.

sm
Old 12-12-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I'm frankly not surprised and thought that this would be a good year for the online sale of music gear to the extent that gear was available....
And yet Guitar Center files for bankruptcy, again.....
Old 12-12-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroberts View Post
Apparently, home decorating is also on the rise, including Christmas decorations. Wanted to buy a string of lights to add to those that I drape over a tree in our front yard (trees tend to grow, you know). All the usual places are nearly sold out of any lights. One large store that usually has a whole wall of lights marked down at the end of the season had only a small table with a few dozen strings of light left...about 1/5th of what was on sale last year on December 26. And there's still 2 weeks before we get to the holiday!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion