The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-27-2020, 04:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default A fortunate meeting, remembered.

On April 16, 2017 I got an invitation to meet Ben Harper at John Monteleone's shop. John & I have a very long friendship going back to 1972 when I taught him Dobro in exchange for a new guitar neck.....but I digress.....

Ben was picking up a custom 16" archtop lap slide that John made for him, the next day.

Though I arrived mid afternoon, as luck would have it they had been so busy with talking, etc that Ben still hadn't seen his instrument. I was very fortunate to bear witness to the moment, which I video recorded.

I hope Ben will one day make it public, but I will say that it defines the Yiddish words 'kvelling' & 'verklempt'; Ben was both!

If you'd have told me back then that Ben would ask me to arrange one of his early instrumentals, and later on write liner notes for one of my CD's, I'd have been very skeptical. Now I'm just awed, and thankful.

If you enjoy good interviews, Jeffrey Pepper Rodgers did a beautiful job interviewing Ben in the latest edition of Acoustic Guitar Magazine. Highly recommended reading for guitar nut cases like us!

John took this shot moments after Ben caught his breath.

Old 11-27-2020, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

I just finished reading that article in AG magazine. Another fine guitar story, plus the background to his instrumental album, featuring that guitar.

What a treat for you. Along with nice stories of your own.

Over and over, I read these stories where a small music store and/or luthier have a huge impact. That's no surprise to those of us "in the know". But it's nice to see such stories put out to a broader audience. I read every interview in AG mag, and many of the interviewees mention having spent time at a small music store/open mic........

John

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 11-27-2020, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

...cool stuff Howard...so is that side port on the lower bout of Bens guitar for the purpose of directing the sound to a microphone?....or just to get the sound out to listeners in an acoustic environment...or both...likely both right?...
Old 11-27-2020, 11:09 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
...cool stuff Howard...so is that side port on the lower bout of Bens guitar for the purpose of directing the sound to a microphone?....or just to get the sound out to listeners in an acoustic environment...or both...likely both right?...
Yes.

:-)

Howard
Old 11-27-2020, 11:41 AM

Sweet story, thanks for sharing.
Old 11-27-2020, 02:19 PM

Howard, is Mr. Harper playing that archtop Spanish or Lap style? (He is extremely proficient in both) That is an awfully big nut there...
Old 11-27-2020, 02:39 PM

Cool story. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-27-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Howard, is Mr. Harper playing that archtop Spanish or Lap style? (He is extremely proficient in both) That is an awfully big nut there...
Never mind...

Sweet low end.

And...

Old 11-27-2020, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Great story, Howard!

I love hearing stuff like this! And that guitar that Ben has on his lap -- Holy Cow!!!

- Glenn
Old 11-27-2020, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

Great story. I live not too far from his parents’ folk center. Went to the 60th anniversary party a few years ago. He and his mom handed out cake to us. Best part of the night aside from great music was standing in line behind and chatting with David Lindley as we waited to get in.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:19 PM

Definitely a great story!

The first time I heard him was around 1996. I was in a used CD store (remember them?) and I heard this soulful guitar playing and singing over the store's speakers. Asked the salesperson what was on, she said Ben Harper, and I left with one of his CDs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion