The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2021, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsehockey View Post
My wife and I just finished watching it upon your recommendation. Beautiful film. Thank you.
Glad you guys enjoyed Bill. It really is a wonderful movie.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:09 AM

I watched episode 1 of season 1 of Narcos last night- it eerily reminded me of a couple of books I've read by Don Winslow-
Old 11-14-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
Except for a few sports events, I watch YouTube almost exclusively. I find so many interesting posts and topics that I can't begin to list them all. Some of the musical talent is extraordinary. I'm not talking about well-known commercial artists, either. I'm talking about people you never heard of somehow scratching a living out of their YouTube channel. I had no idea this was an occupation.
I, too, spend a lot of time watching YouTube. I like the videos from the MonaLisa Twins...interesting song selections.
Old 11-15-2021, 08:10 AM

For those into watching TV- here's an interesting tid bit

Yellowstone’ Season 4 Premier Got TWICE The Audience of CMAs

Personally, IDC about awards shows and haven't for I guess, 30 years - I do like Yellowstone though- but, I wouldn't like it near as much without the musical aspect-
Old 11-15-2021, 02:39 PM

I just read that last month Netflix Canada (and US) started streaming Season 8 of The Blacklist. I dropped Netflix in Jan but I'm picking it up again today for this show.

Any Blacklist fans? No Spoilers!
Old 11-15-2021, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Just finished “The Forgotten Battle” on Netflix. Quite good I thought, and rather an interesting chapter in WWII. After capturing Antwerpen, the allies essentially ignored the estuary of the Schelde river, which was still occupied by the Germans, rendering Antwerpen useless as a port. Monty had to have his advance into Germany with Market Garden. We all know how that turned out, so then the allies started to clear out the estuary and open up the port of Antwerpen. “The Battle of the Scheldt” is the anglicized name, and was fought by a large international contingent, mostly led by the Canadians.

The backdrop of the film is the battle for Walcheren, at the entrance to the Schelde estuary. As kids my brother and I loved visiting miniature Walchren, a scale replica of the island. It was quite close to my grandparents’ home in Blankenberge and an easy trip. The Canucks also liberated Blankenberge and always had a special place in my Mom’s heart for what they did. She grew up with her town occupied by Nazis. Fun.

Anyway, the film is quite good. Cinematography and acting are excellent.

Last edited by Dirk Hofman; 11-15-2021 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-16-2021, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

A favorite that we have watched twice is "To Walk Invisible: The Bronte Sisters" on Masterpiece Theatre which we get through Prime. I have enjoyed this as much as anything I have watched I believe. It led me to read Jane Eyre and I am grateful for that.
Old 11-17-2021, 07:45 AM

Watched the first 2 episodes of Lonesome Dove, again, again, again last night.
I've watched it so many times I can't even count them.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

We just finished the second season of Manhunt. Martin Clues is excellent in the lead role, and the supporting cast is terrific. The kind of detective show that the Brits do so well.

Speaking of which, we’ve just started Dalgliesh, another British series based on P.D.James novels. This one is equally good, and highly recommended if you like this genre.

Both on Acorn.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-17-2021, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

I thought 2nd season was great as well. I haven’t heard of Dalgliesh. I’ll check it out. We have a subscription to Acorn, Britbox, PBS Passport and PBS Masterpiece and look for series selected as Walter's Choice, which often are in this genre. We just watched Shetland episode 2 f season 6 last night. It’s another good one.

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 11-17-2021 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:22 AM

New season of "Shetland" just premiered on BritBox....
Old 11-17-2021, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
We just finished the second season of Manhunt. Martin Clues is excellent in the lead role, and the supporting cast is terrific. The kind of detective show that the Brits do so well.
I tried this but didn't get too far. I kept waiting for people to call him Doc Martin!
Old 11-17-2021, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
I agree with your assessment of Counterpart. It's one of the best sci-fi series I've ever watched, but it seems to have flown under-the-radar as you're the only other person I'm aware of who's seen it.
Its a slow burn, but well worth it. I thought the entire case, not just JK Simmons, knocked it out of the park. Sad that there will be no third season. Like finishing a good book.
Old 11-19-2021, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

I am not sure if this show has been mentioned yet but "The Great British Baking Show" is really fun, and is easily broken into small 15 or 20 minute segments when you just want a taste, pun intended, of tv. An additional benefit is when we watch my wife bakes more.
Old 11-19-2021, 08:17 AM

I bought the entire, "Cannon" series as a DVD box set.

"Cannon, a Quinn-Martin production."

"Name's Frank Cannon. I'm a private detective." I like William Conrad.

The best episodes are around the time that Frank starts driving the baby blue Lincoln with the white vinyl top with an opera window.

I also have, "The Rockford Files". Also very good. And I have the entire, "Columbo" series.

"Oh, uh, one more thing, ma'am..."

I'm hoping to get, "Mannix" soon.

They don't make 'em like they used to, if you ask me. If you watch TV at my house, it's like you've stepped back in time.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic