The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-22-2018, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Default Felix preamp settings for k And k mini

Can anyone tell me what settings they use on felix preamp when using guitar with k and k pickup. thanks Steve
Taylor mini Koa,
huss and Dalton 00 sp Engelmann and rosewood back and sides
Felix preamp
Aer compact 60/3
Fishman loadbox performer
bose s1 pro
Old 05-23-2018, 06:11 AM

I have to say it depends on your guitar
and placement of the transducers.
But like all pres for acoustic one generally low cuts the bass
around 125-200 hz scoops the mids and boosts the treble.
i will try to take a pic of mine later but again my
guitar is different than yours as is my ear.
i use the low cut dip switch as opposed to the notch
setting on ch 1 for my guitar . But i use the notch
on ch 2 for my mandolin. (nasty low mid thump from the pickup)
The Felix can be a bit daunting at first but
once understood it is a fantastic pre.
for the mids i would try turning the left of the 3 knobs to minus 12 (fully counterclockwise)!
put the Q Knob(right mid knob) about 10 o'clock and then slowly turn the center mid
knob (frequency knob) from left to right until your guitar
sounds good to you. Slow is the key as small
changes can make a big difference here. once you find that sweet spot
try turning the Q knob slowly to see if it sounds better in either direction.
There is a dip switch on the side to change the mid frequency range from low to high.
If you don't find what you like from the instructions above
try flipping the switch and repeating the procedure .

Last edited by varmonter; 05-23-2018 at 06:27 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:34 AM

Settings vary sowo much. A K&K user will come on here and tell you settings for his gear, his room, and all of the other variables, then that may not work for you. My Dazzo through my Alix sounds really good set flat. But if I were to use it in a Sunday morning at church with a full band, I would first set the high pass filter around 125hz because we have a bass player and that sounds right to my ear throughout our crappy monitors. I will add some treble because my strings are dead. I then may cut some mids around 2.5 K (or not), because when I crank the mid dial and sweep the frequencies I am trying to find the worst sound to cut, not because I have to, but because I can. When I find the most offending sound, I cut that barely. Sometimes it is lower in the 700-800K range or lately it’s been the 2.5K range.

You have a great surgical tool in the Alix. Use you ears. Start at the bottom. Turn the bass knob and leave it where it has the right amount of Bass for you. If it is just too tubby or boomy, the high pass filter is a magical tool. For the mids, use the technique I described above to find the most offending sound to you. Remember to use the switch on the side to change frequency range. The rest is frosting.

If you get stuck, come back and tell us what you are hearing. When I used to have K&Ks in my guitars, I always had to EQ like heck to get them close. But then adjusting for different rooms was difficult. I just wasn’t one of the lucky ones.

Good luck.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 05-23-2018, 07:03 AM

Too many variables. Including the most important variable... our respective hearing. In general, I agree with what Varometer wrote. For me, the mid cut can vary from about 700 Hz to 1.5KHz, with a Q from 1 to 3, and a cut of 3-12dB. That's a HUGE variation depending on the guitar and the room. I also think the K&K needs the highs boosted with EQ, or "restored" with a mic or IR convolver like the TonDexter.

My theory is that a well installed and placed K&K system will "hear" all of the bass, mid and high frequencies inside the guitar, just like a mic would. But, the lower frequencies, like any internal mic, dominate the output signal. So, by cleaning up the low and mid frequencies, you can start to hear the highs come through better. Then, depending on the volume of your stage, you may need to boost them even further to make them cut.

Hope this helps
Old 05-23-2018, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Too many variables. Including the most important variable... our respective hearing. In general, I agree with what Varometer wrote. For me, the mid cut can vary from about 700 Hz to 1.5KHz, with a Q from 1 to 3, and a cut of 3-12dB. That's a HUGE variation depending on the guitar and the room. I also think the K&K needs the highs boosted with EQ, or "restored" with a mic or IR convolver like the TonDexter.

My theory is that a well installed and placed K&K system will "hear" all of the bass, mid and high frequencies inside the guitar, just like a mic would. But, the lower frequencies, like any internal mic, dominate the output signal. So, by cleaning up the low and mid frequencies, you can start to hear the highs come through better. Then, depending on the volume of your stage, you may need to boost them even further to make them cut.

Hope this helps
what he said :-)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification