The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-27-2018, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Default What's the deal with fly fishing????

I've reduced my bicycle rides to flat paved trails and today's sojourn took me to a nice path along the South River in Waynesboro, VA. The banks of the South River, really more of a creek in size, have long shared real estate with chemical companies so the South is a restorative work in progress. It's been stocked with trout for the past decade or so, and a small but dedicated group of anglers support these efforts.

I don't consider myself a fisherman although I have fished in the past. I've never really understood the enjoyment of what seems like the very complex past time of fly fishing. I re-pondered this question today when I observed a couple parked next to me at the trail. They had arrived before me, and seemingly prepared for their outing. I unloaded my bike, did the preparations for my ride and then pedaled for about 45 minutes. When I returned to my car, they were still futzing around with their gear. Don't know if they were tying specific flies to match the hatch or what, but it seemed like an awful lot of parking lot prep time....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 05-27-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:09 PM

Many things are as simple, or as complex as YOU make them. For example, I cannot fathom driving, so that you can get on your bike for 45 minutes. I just get on my bike at home and ride.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-27-2018, 12:35 PM

to each their own I guess...

I started fly fishing at around 10 years old, was tying flies professionally by age 12, and was running a fly shop while the owner was on vacation at age 16...

there really isn't that much fiddling required when it comes down to it...any fishing endeavor may require waders and what not...so perhaps this couple was having other issues you didn't catch.

as far as tying flies for anything specific, I'd think you'd notice a vice and all the other stuff required sitting about...I did that in the evening before going to sleep if that was desired, in general one should have most all flies ready to go with prior knowledge of what exact insects are hatching (this being a dry fly thing) and present in the ecosystem.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:55 PM

Default Fly fishing

One should not confuse fishing with catching

BahPa

2015 Taylor GS-Mini Hog
2002 Martin 000-18 Sunburst
2005 Martin 000-28
2011 Martin 0-12VS
1972 Ovation 12 string
2015 Fender P-Bass Sunburst
2008 Fender Tele Thinline
2011 Fender Tele Sunburst
1998 Washburn BT-9
Old 05-27-2018, 01:02 PM

Fishing is not really about catching fish.
If you catch a fish then your hands will smell like fish the rest of the day.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I have fished in the past. I've never really understood the enjoyment of what seems like the very complex past time of fly fishing.
Some don't understand why you'd take the time to learn, practice, and play an instrument for music when you can just turn a radio on.

I admit to tying flies for musky, needing bouldering skills, and even a specialty boat called a drift boar or dory, but those are not exactly necessary to catch a fish.

If you head to the spring creek 15 minutes west of my house on this hot sunny afternoon you probably do need a very tiny and particular type of fly tied to catch the brown trout there.

If you want the experience of catching more musky than most imagine is possible you need a drift boat, strong river running skills, and expert fishing skills.

There's extreme ritual with bike riding too - you build your own trails.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I've reduced my bicycle rides to flat paved trails and today's sojourn took me to a nice path along the South River in Waynesboro, VA. The banks of the South River, really more of a creek in size, have long shared real estate with chemical companies so the South is a restorative work in progress. It's been stocked with trout for the past decade or so, and a small but dedicated group of anglers support these efforts.

I don't consider myself a fisherman although I have fished in the past. I've never really understood the enjoyment of what seems like the very complex past time of fly fishing. I re-pondered this question today when I observed a couple parked next to me at the trail. They had arrived before me, and seemingly prepared for their outing. I unloaded my bike, did the preparations for my ride and then pedaled for about 45 minutes. When I returned to my car, they were still futzing around with their gear. Don't know if they were tying specific flies to match the hatch or what, but it seemed like an awful lot of parking lot prep time....
45 minutes is way excessive to simply suit up, ( waders ect. ) string a rod and tie on a fly. Perhaps they were having other fun while you were gone

So what ever the complexity of fly fishing might be, that particular situation most likely involved other variable's and is not really pertinent to your main question ( what's the appeal of fly fishing) Not to mention matching the hatch takes place on the stream not in the parking lot, unless one has some kind of super magnified vision

If your not an fly fisherman/person then it may be hard to explain or understand

But take the same question into a different context ,one could ask what's the appeal of the complexity of learning to finger pic when you can just strum away at chords ?

So here is why I, after growing up an avid fisherman with spin and trolling tackle, decided to take up fly fishing at age 30 or so, when we moved to Jackson Hole Wyoming.
#1 it is for me personally anyway, (being a bit ADD) a bit more interactive
#2 I think there is is more challenge and skill involved in mastering the casting .
#3 I think there is more direct and subtle feel with what is happening in the rod itself and at the hook end.
#4 I personally also like tying most of my own flies.
#5 For me personally it has taken me well beyond my own local area (not that this can't be done with spin tackle BUT ) places like the Kamchatka Peninsula in Russia - Kodiak Island Alaska -Chile - The Bahamas - The Yucatan and Baja in Mexico.

Now for a visual response as to appeal for me.

The Yucatan

Bahamas

Alaska

Kamchatka

Baja

Kodiak

Local Wyo and Co

Probably way more than enough

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 05-27-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:56 PM

The rivers here in my area are at flood stage, so fishing is out, ( I can't stand lake fishing.)

But in a few weeks I will be able to leave work, drive to the fishing access, change clothes, gear up and be fishing in less than 20 minutes, so either there was lunch involved or some lessons going on with the couple you were observing.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:32 PM

KevWind, awesome! That's some great fishing!

I sometimes pass the guys who look like they just bought their outfits from L.L.Bean and BassPro and wonder if they even know what a fish is. Not to judge too harshly but, I mean, are you rockin' or are you just worried about your hair?
Old 05-27-2018, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
...For example, I cannot fathom driving, so that you can get on your bike for 45 minutes. I just get on my bike at home and ride.
True dat. I've lived and enjoyed biking in other areas at other times when I'd hop on my bike and go. On other hand, while researching Mountain Bike! Virginia, I spent long hours enroute to explore new and "undiscovered" off-road spots. However, at the age of 68 and living in a rural area of hilly, twisty, narrow roads, I just don't feel comfortable competing with often high speed vehicular traffic on local roads. I should also add that my questioning this sport is not in any way meant as a critique. I just don't get it and would like to understand better...

Great shots, Kevwind, as usual.....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 05-28-2018 at 05:49 AM.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
Fishing is not really about catching fish.
If you catch a fish then your hands will smell like fish the rest of the day.
Fishing is gross. You have to touch that thing. And if you eat them you have to engage in more nasty grossness. No thanks.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooh View Post
KevWind, awesome! That's some great fishing!

I sometimes pass the guys who look like they just bought their outfits from L.L.Bean and BassPro and wonder if they even know what a fish is. Not to judge too harshly but, I mean, are you rockin' or are you just worried about your hair?
Huh? Not quite sure I understand the question. . What I am worried about is my skin and protecting it from sunburn (I have had to go through 2 chemical treatments for pre cancer sun spots on my face , along with numerous spot freeze's )

As for my " Outfit" Can't speak for anyone else but my gear and clothes are for function totally . And even on overcast days I always where a hat to shade my eyes so the polarized glasses are at maximum efficiency for seeing into the water. In the tropics I usually where a buff for maximum face skin protection.

If you have a specific question about a piece of gear or clothing I will be happy to explain it's function

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 05-28-2018, 02:42 AM

I used to go fishing all the time when I was younger but not anymore. However, I do love to eat fish - it's probably my favourite food.

To that end, I spend around 45 minutes every day preparing and cooking our main meal which only takes about 5 minutes to eat. I know it's a disproportionate amount of time in preparation just to satisfy my love for food but I would simply die without it.

YouTube
Old 05-28-2018, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Huh? Not quite sure I understand the question. . What I am worried about is my skin and protecting it from sunburn (I have had to go through 2 chemical treatments for pre cancer sun spots on my face , along with numerous spot freeze's )

As for my " Outfit" Can't speak for anyone else but my gear and clothes are for function totally . And even on overcast days I always where a hat to shade my eyes so the polarized glasses are at maximum efficiency for seeing into the water. In the tropics I usually where a buff for maximum face skin protection.

If you have a specific question about a piece of gear or clothing I will be happy to explain it's function
Sorry, I didn't explain myself well.

First, I complimented your fishing. Seriously. Some nice photography there too!

Second, my following remarks were general and not a comment on you but on the fact that I often encounter fishermen who look like they are more concerned about their appearance than on fishing. Their streamside etiquette can be an indicator as well. The term poser comes to mind. Perhaps I should have said, are they rockin' or are they just worried about their hair? (Kind of riffing on a music analogy.) You don't look like those guys at all. Sorry I made it sound that way. Your pictures show function and practicality. I'm impressed.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooh View Post
Sorry, I didn't explain myself well.

First, I complimented your fishing. Seriously. Some nice photography there too!

Second, my following remarks were general and not a comment on you but on the fact that I often encounter fishermen who look like they are more concerned about their appearance than on fishing. Their streamside etiquette can be an indicator as well. The term poser comes to mind. Perhaps I should have said, are they rockin' or are they just worried about their hair? (Kind of riffing on a music analogy.) You don't look like those guys at all. Sorry I made it sound that way. Your pictures show function and practicality. I'm impressed.
Well first thanks. And no worries I am too old to take Forum remarks seriously or be insulted by what other people think. Heck even my wife tells my my fishing getups look dorky but I still wear em anyway

And just for anecdotal fun I'll snap and post a photo of my beat to snot 12 to 15 year old Simms waders with the 20 or 30 repair spots . In fact this year I will have to get a new pair because the gore tex is now so old and worn that they are starting to weep tiny drops of water randomly ,even where there are no visible punctures .

And while no doubt some people are concerned about appearance or trying to impress others...But really "who cares" .We all could be probably be a bit more carful and might benefit personally from being less inclined to make such observations . We all could perhaps get more into the practice of looking in the mirror first, before judging others . For example posting a list of 20 some guitars in ones sig. line could be "judged" by some, to be a "poser" type move . Now while I personally don't look at it that way (even remotely) , it could certainly be looked at that way a stranger. Just sayin'

And just like a beginner with a higher end guitar or room full of guitars , their skill set , experience , or personal motivation , does not relate to me and does not matter to me. It is something I no longer even think about. And trust me it took a fairly long time for me to get there, but that is a very comfortable and pleasant place to be. Life is much much better and enjoyable from that view.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 05-28-2018 at 07:12 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic