The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-27-2018, 06:32 AM

Default Weekly sunday post 5 of 12 - More Fahey - Horses

A shorter one this time
Old 05-27-2018, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Very nice job on this Vincenzo! Also, very nice scene out your window there!

- Glenn
Old 05-27-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Very nice job on this Vincenzo! Also, very nice scene out your window there!

- Glenn
Some more insteresting scenes coming up
Old 05-27-2018, 04:24 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Really good job!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-27-2018, 04:32 PM

Very nice playing on this Vincenzo. Sounds like you put a lot of time into this. Well done.

I knew John Fahey fairly well back in the day, and he had what I would describe as a little more ragged style than you show here, perhaps a little looser. And he used fingerpicks when I knew him. He liked Martin guitars, recording his first record (Blind Joe Death) on a little rosewood Martin New Yorker, a single O if I recall correctly. He later had a 1928 Martin 12 fret 0028 (seen on the cover of Album six) and a D35 which he used quite a bit later in life, in his forties. He also had the well known Bacon and Day Senorita, and the Recording King that he smashed.

Anyway, keep of the good work, beautifully done.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 05-28-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
Very nice playing on this Vincenzo. Sounds like you put a lot of time into this. Well done.

I knew John Fahey fairly well back in the day, and he had what I would describe as a little more ragged style than you show here, perhaps a little looser. And he used fingerpicks when I knew him. He liked Martin guitars, recording his first record (Blind Joe Death) on a little rosewood Martin New Yorker, a single O if I recall correctly. He later had a 1928 Martin 12 fret 0028 (seen on the cover of Album six) and a D35 which he used quite a bit later in life, in his forties. He also had the well known Bacon and Day Senorita, and the Recording King that he smashed.

Anyway, keep of the good work, beautifully done.
The main difficulty was getting all 12 songs good enough in the short span of 2 days. Some of them I haven't played in months and had to remember on the spot.
I have some trouble loosing up, haha.
I used fingerpicks for 4 years... But them started having issues with my finger joints thx to a mosquito transmitted disease. So I got away from them to be able to play softer, putting less strain on the joints and also get some more accuracy in stressful situation like playing open mics. I'm getting back to the thumb pick after buying the fred kelly's fast, they help even more not putting stress on the thumb joints since you don't need to keep your thumb completely parallel to the strings to hit them the right way. And it also helps with the technique since it doesn't catch on the strings.
His Bacon and Day and his Recording King were probably the best. The D35 I always found to harsh with the fingerpicks.
I'm getting my dream 00 12 fret brw in june. There are some really good stuff waiting to be recorded after I get it and a pair of reasonably good mics.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell