The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-24-2018, 04:29 AM

Default Running a Pedal at 9v or 24v - what are the benefits?

I'm just about to receive a Diamond CPR1 Compressor pedal and it can run on a 9v to 24v power supply with a negative tip.

My two questions are:

1) Are there any beneifts to running a pedal at a higher voltage?

e.g. A CPR-1 review I read stated: The input gain control allows this pedal to be useful with an instrument of any output level, which is a valuable feature. However, a very high-output instrument (or very aggro playing) can cause clipping at the input stage. This can be completely fixed by powering the Diamond with a supply of higher than 9VDC, up to 18V. But a more normal-level signal will not have problems even with 9V powering.

2) On a multi power supply like a T-Rex Fuel Tank Junior which has 5 x 9v outputs, could/can I use a 'Y cable' and combine two 9v outputs to run a pedal at 18v without any problems?

(update) It would seem that 'Y Cables' can be in 'Series' or in 'Parallel'. In series would double the voltage, whilst in parallel would double the mA?

Thanks for your insight

Last edited by JazzyJ; 05-24-2018 at 04:39 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:08 AM

It might be worth checking out what current the unit needs. I use a Chioks DC10 which has 9v, 12v and one 15v output. The 9v outputs have different current ratings and the red LED on each output shines brightly when the unit is getting the current it needs.

I can’t remember which pedal it was (possibly TC Flashback x4) that seemed to be struggling but I checked the ratings and realised it only needed a 9v supply but needed more current than the output it was connected to. I moved it to one of the stronger outputs and it’s been fine since then.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 05-24-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJ View Post
I'm just about to receive a Diamond CPR1 Compressor pedal and it can run on a 9v to 24v power supply with a negative tip.

My two questions are:

1) Are there any beneifts to running a pedal at a higher voltage?

2) On a multi power supply like a T-Rex Fuel Tank Junior which has 5 x 9v outputs, could/can I use a 'Y cable' and combine two 9v outputs to run a pedal at 18v without any problems?

(update) It would seem that 'Y Cables' can be in 'Series' or in 'Parallel'. In series would double the voltage, whilst in parallel would double the mA?

Thanks for your insight
1) If you are clipping (distorting) the input stage of the pedal with a really hot signal. Alternately you turn the volume control down on the driving instrument/pedal. Most mixers have a mic trim and many acoustic guitar pedals have an input trim pot for these situations. Given the very high SNR of modern electronics, getting a little more with a higher power supply (6 dB for each power supply doubling, out of something on the order of 80+ to start with) seems like something truly inaudible.

2) Depends on the design of the power supply, but I think it is safer to say NO for both options in the general case. However, for the T-Rex Fuel Tank Jr, they spec that it can be used this way and sell the appropriate cables.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification