The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-06-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
As does performing in a coffeehouse for beans, a bar for tips or any other venue taking advantage of the hobbyist to say nothing about the lowering of the wage scale for full-timers.

Flame suit on...
No flame from me, I just simply think this line of reasoning is flawed.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:58 AM

Consider a laptop that opens past 180 degrees. You may not want that but consider it.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:15 AM

I use a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10. It has a very nice 12" screen. Three months ago I scored it off ebay for $400. It was nearly new in its original box + keyboard + power supply. It's the perfect size for displaying music sheets.

In our gigging duo I've reduced each song down to a single sheet, which I store in PDF format. I'm a software engineer so I wrote my own program to use when gigging. It reads in a file that lists each set and the songs in that set. This way we can keep different set list for 3-hr gigs, 4-hr gigs, different venues, etc. I can tap on the table of contents to immediately display any song. There are then FWD/BACK arrows that take me to the next song in the list so I'm always 1 finger tap away from displaying the next song.

Other features I've included: The bottom margin always displays the next 3 song names in the sequence, so I always know what's coming up. It shows the time, so I always know that I'm beginning/ending on time. It tells me how far I've progressed in the set (i.e. currently song 4/15). I can bookmark a page, so that if a special request comes in, I can quickly find the request, play it, then return to the bookmarked song.

I'm now working on a visual metronome. It's a small button that blinks at a rate specific to each song. We'll only use it to count it a song, since it's sometimes hard to get a new song tempo in your head.

Our tablets are great tools to use, but with all that said, we use them only to cover all the "senior moments" when we forget how to start a verse, etc. A quick glance puts you right back on track. We don't "stare" or "read", and they remain very unobtrusive when fastened low on a mic stand.

I feel absolutely no shame in using a tablet. I would probably feel different if our patrons were paying admission fees to see a 'concert', and they were seated, facing me. But where we play at pubs, restaurants, corporate events, etc. the people are there to eat, converse, and hopefully enjoy the ambience that we provide.

Good luck in your quest!

Tim
Old 10-06-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
As does performing in a coffeehouse for beans, a bar for tips or any other venue taking advantage of the hobbyist to say nothing about the lowering of the wage scale for full-timers.

Flame suit on...

I disagree here the place where your playing at has little effect on your professional status; unless your playing at bar that should be condemned / shut down for health concerns or some kind of wackjob event like a natzi death rally. Many major artists started out playing in dive bars / coffee houses / friends backyards and other low to no paying gigs.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmanmatty View Post
I hate to say this but, using a tablet makes you look unprofessional. It tells people that you can't be bothered to actually put in the effort required to learn the songs or don't have skills to do so and have to read off of a cheat sheet instead. I would try and learn the songs / chords / charts / scales / licks rather than read them off of a tablet if at all possible.
You state that as fact, but it's an opinion. An opinion that many don't share, including many well-known professionals.

OP - If you're going to be reading charts from several feet away, go big on that tablet. Size matters. A lot.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I disagree here the place where your playing at has little effect on your professional status; unless your playing at bar that should be condemned / shut down for health concerns or some kind of wackjob event like a natzi death rally. Many major artists started out playing in dive bars / coffee houses / friends backyards and other low to no paying gigs.
Were they using iPads or sheet music?

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
No flame from me, I just simply think this line of reasoning is flawed.
So I'm guessing that you don't play music for a living. I think that's a prime definition of "professional".

Old 10-06-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
So I'm guessing that you don't play music for a living. I think that's a prime definition of "professional".
Ah, yes. I agree that playing for money makes you a professional, by definition. I thought you were saying that if you played coffee shops, bars, etc, you weren't a professional. I've seen hobbyists that were better than those that make a living with music and I've seen those that make a living with music do low paying or free gigs. Sorry for my misunderstanding.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Were they using iPads or sheet music?
No, they weren't using ipads because ipads didn't exist until 8 years ago, and they weren't using sheet music either .
Old 10-06-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
Ah, yes. I agree that playing for money makes you a professional, by definition. I thought you were saying that if you played coffee shops, bars, etc, you weren't a professional. I've seen hobbyists that were better than those that make a living with music and I've seen those that make a living with music do low paying or free gigs. Sorry for my misunderstanding.
For purposes of discussion, let's observe the distinction between the noun professional (as in someone working within a chosen field) and the adjective form (professional level/standard/behavior, etc).

Let us also be cognizant of the difference between music and entertainment...

That said, the Galaxy View has one big a** screen and a USB port. In comparison, the primary reason for the ubiquity of the iPad is that it has been around the longest. The View is a recent entry into the market. Just think how handy it would be if the iPad had a functional USB port.

Old 10-06-2016, 12:42 PM

nice to get back to my original post!
Really only concerned on the applicable uses of tablets compared to my 20 years in the mac camp.
Thanks Twitch, on the surface pro unit, will look at that as well.
And yes a 12" screen would suit my eyes well and still be smaller than my binders.
And you are right Wyllys, the ipad has the default position due to its length of time in the market place.
I am annoyed at myself in this situation for being so loyal to a company.
Got to look with both eyes wide open..
Old 10-06-2016, 12:52 PM

I gig unprofessionally. I do so for free, for peanuts, and very occasionally for dollars. I look forward to a long "career" of lowering the ability of professionals to make a living in an ever more competitive and soulless marketplace, and of course, I use an iPad with unrealBook to display a few hundred PDF's.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:00 PM

PROFESSIONALS

When "free" just won't do...

This is why I provide quality, professional sound reinforcement for events. While you're up there playing for free, I'm making a comfortable living providing the stage, power, sound system and engineering. I then go home and pick a bit of music for the cats.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:34 PM

Quote:
I hate to say this but, using a tablet makes you look unprofessional. It tells people that you can't be bothered to actually put in the effort required to learn the songs or don't have skills to do so and have to read off of a cheat sheet instead. I would try and learn the songs / chords / charts / scales / licks rather than read them off of a tablet if at all possible.
It really depends on the situation. I do pickup gigs & studio work all the time. In both cases I'm handed a chart when I get there (or it's emailed the night before if they're well organized). You have to read to do the gig. You don't have time to memorize.

I also do pit bands, where there are rehearsals...but a show can have more music than you'll be able to comfortably memorize in it's run...and you have to watch your cues. So having your music in front of you is a must.

If you're just gigging at bars/coffehouses/etc, yeah...it's better to just have your repertoire memorized. But those gigs don't pay nearly as well as the the others.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 10-07-2016, 07:07 AM

personally, I would rather sound like a pro than look like one.
Visual charts re-enforce my ability to play in a professional manner.
Thanks again for all the recommendations, now to get out and physically look at some tablet models.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write