The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-16-2018, 06:39 PM

I think you're right on there, Mr. Jelly! Now my Mahogany came from this area as well. It's very flamed on it's top.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
And I have a '29 OM - and its an absolutely fantastic guitar! Richard is very picky about the mahogany they use, and the '29 series are wonderful. I just saw Catfish Keith perform at Mighty Fine Guitars and it was his first performance using his custom '29 0 - what a guitar, and what a performer!!
I agree! Nobody plays the guitar quite like Catfish,,,,and I wish I could play that way too! He tunes down all of his guitars and often plays a full step lower than 440. Hence his wicked string bends around the lower end of the neck.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:22 PM

OT: The V necks on the 1929's? What are your impressions of the feel of those necks? I know it's relative but are the V necks comfortable to play?
Old 03-16-2018, 10:36 PM

I find it very pleasing for me. Course I love and mostly own bigger V necks, as a general rule.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
OT: The V necks on the 1929's? What are your impressions of the feel of those necks? I know it's relative but are the V necks comfortable to play?
Personal pref, I’m not a fan of the hard V, but many of the ‘29s have the mod-v neck, and some have the C neck, both of which are very nice - depends on the original dealers preferences when they ordered - have to ask about the specific guitar you are looking at -
Old 03-16-2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Personal pref, I’m not a fan of the hard V, but many of the ‘29s have the mod-v neck, and some have the C neck, both of which are very nice - depends on the original dealers preferences when they ordered - have to ask about the specific guitar you are looking at -
tadol,

I am looking at a OOO. Per Carolyn at SCGC, it has a V neck.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

I would never, ever disagree with Carolyn -

But I also know you will not be buying from her, but from a dealer. Ask them what the neck is on the ‘29 you’re interested in. The V is standard spec, but the great majority of their builds are custom, and a great number leave the shop with other necks specified. I had a ‘29 000 before this OM, and it definitely had the softer mod-V neck on it, and a number of others I’ve seen have also had the mod-V neck. Some have had the true V, but not all. I even just now looked at the picture of the back of the neck on their website, and that looks very much like a C neck to me -
Old 03-17-2018, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
The V necks on the 1929's? What are your impressions of the feel of those necks?
I call mine a soft V neck. It's not as pronounced as the Martin V neck. Personally I love the SC V neck that I have. It's the perfect neck shape. Though I am not that picky about neck shapes if they are within reason. The neck shape is one of the things I notice about my guitar when I pick it up. When I grab it I think hold good it feels. So yes, I like the SC V neck.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion