The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-02-2023, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

A couple more detail shots of the Orbit. I just love not only how they connect the main vertical tube to the base but how they did it in such a beautiful way. And we haven't had a chance to put these stands to use yet as Gee has been completely focused on her performing three nights last weekend at The Hollywood Bowl in the Nightmare Before Christmas show with Danny Elfman and a whole cast of characters. But she was part of a group of three featured soloists playing her Hohner Morino accordion. We have several sessions coming up in the next few weeks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Triad-Orbit_0980_600.jpg (63.8 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg OrbitBase_600.jpg (59.1 KB, 88 views)
'02 Goodall GC
'20 Gibson Southern Jumbo
Deering Maple Blossom
'62 Danectro Longhorn Bass
UAD Apollo x8p, Apollo Twin
Genelec 8351B's Studio Monitors
Genelec 7370A Sub
Lauten Audio LT-386
Old 11-02-2023, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatchian View Post
A couple more detail shots of the Orbit. I just love not only how they connect the main vertical tube to the base but how they did it in such a beautiful way. And we haven't had a chance to put these stands to use yet as Gee has been completely focused on her performing three nights last weekend at The Hollywood Bowl in the Nightmare Before Christmas show with Danny Elfman and a whole cast of characters. But she was part of a group of three featured soloists playing her Hohner Morino accordion. We have several sessions coming up in the next few weeks.
Those are fine photos.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 12-02-2023, 11:12 AM

I'm thinking about buying a 2200 or 3300 straight stand (without the main boom, making it slightly more affordable).

I don't have another mic stand, but as some have said, it's probably wise not to skimp on a stand. I like the design of the Latch Lake bases, along with their overall construction quality and stability.

I'm thinking about also buying an XtraBoom to hold a mic at guitar level, and I would put a vocal mic on top of the main stand, or on another XtraBoom if the main stand proved to be too tall.

Do you think that not having a main boom would be a hindrance for simple guitar\vocal work? I could always buy one later.
Old 12-02-2023, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayen View Post
I'm thinking about buying a 2200 or 3300 straight stand (without the main boom, making it slightly more affordable).

I don't have another mic stand, but as some have said, it's probably wise not to skimp on a stand. I like the design of the Latch Lake bases, along with their overall construction quality and stability.

I'm thinking about also buying an XtraBoom to hold a mic at guitar level, and I would put a vocal mic on top of the main stand, or on another XtraBoom if the main stand proved to be too tall.

Do you think that not having a main boom would be a hindrance for simple guitar\vocal work? I could always buy one later.
A Hinderance no---- but convenience wise depends on if you are talking about sitting when recording ?

If sitting ?
Then first off no need for 3300 stand as the it is the same base weight as the 2200
and only thing the 3300 has over the 2200 is an extra straight extension to get even higher

Also if sitting,, then the lowest the 2200 goes is 49 inches so unless you are on a higher stool of some kind , with a regular chair hight you will need another XTra Boom to get the vocal mic down to mouth level--- Plus sitting or standing you would likely want to do that (two booms) anyway ,, because it will give you option to move both the guitar and vocal mic positions in and out horizontally for optimum balance

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 12-02-2023 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-02-2023, 02:20 PM

Thanks very much, Kev.

It looks like the 2200 and 3300 are the same price, and I noticed that the 3300's minimum height is 1" lower than the 2200's, so have been thinking it might be better to get the 3300. I'm not sure I'd ever need the extra height, but it would be available.

I think two Xtra Booms might be handy. I was thinking about trying to record guitar and vocals separately, in which case one Xtra Boom might do, and I could stick the vocal mic on that or on top of the main stand, and adjust height as necessary.

At least the system is modular, and you can buy components as you need them.
Old 12-02-2023, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayen View Post
Thanks very much, Kev.

It looks like the 2200 and 3300 are the same price, and I noticed that the 3300's minimum height is 1" lower than the 2200's, so have been thinking it might be better to get the 3300. I'm not sure I'd ever need the extra height, but it would be available.

I think two Xtra Booms might be handy. I was thinking about trying to record guitar and vocals separately, in which case one Xtra Boom might do, and I could stick the vocal mic on that or on top of the main stand, and adjust height as necessary.

At least the system is modular, and you can buy components as you need them.
Humm where are you seeing the 2200 and 3300 as the same price ?
On Sweetwater the 2200 straight is $369 and the 3300 is $499

Besides IMO that one inch (if it is even accurate) is not really going to help Now if you think you might get into a situation where you might need 10 ft of height because 7 ft just will not do then yes the 3300 would be the logical choice

Well if you know you will be recording vocal an guitar separately then 1 boom will do

Another thought is Sweetwater is currently offering the 2200 crome full stand and Boom at $639 a hundred dollar discount from the normal price of $739

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ng-2200-chrome

Now if one is going to mic'ing ensembles and or bands then the 3300 might be a reasonable consideration
But honestly for my personal use the height and reach of the 2200 stand and boom is way more than I will ever use BUT hey everybody is different

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 12-02-2023 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-03-2023, 04:42 AM

Thanks again, Kev.

I might have been wrong about the 2200 and 3300 being the same price. I'm in the UK, and had looked up prices from a place that advertised them, and thought they were the same. However, I'm now seeing that they don't list the 2200, so maybe I'd seen the price for the black and chrome versions of the 3300 instead. I'll give them a call sometime this week to check.
Old 03-16-2024, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticDreams View Post
I have been using the Latch Lake Jam nuts. Very inexpensive and make a difference in proper securing.
Additionally I bought the Triad-Orbit IO-RA quick release. I use it for both the microphone itself, and the microphone boom arm. This allows me to quickly put away the boom arm for more studio space. And then allows me to put back in the same position when needed in but a couple of seconds. Very secure system
I am considering buying the Latch Lake boom arm and attaching it to my Atlas stand for $180.
How do you connect the Orbit coupler to the boom? The mic stand has a male thread, and so does the coupling.
Old 03-16-2024, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
How do you connect the Orbit coupler to the boom? The mic stand has a male thread, and so does the coupling.
On the left side is the female thread. This fits on the male End of the Stand(without the boom arm)

The adapter (Far Right) has a Male end which fits into the bottom of the Boom Arm swivel.

The faceted rod then fits into the adapter.

For myself this has been helpful. My recording bay has been down for over a year now. And I am getting ready to put it back up. This allows me to store my stands into a smaller space by being able to take off the boom arms at will. In the end, it is a small difference. as you can fold down the boom arm for storage. But it has proved helpful for my situation especially when I need a quick convert. Also helpful when I experiment with different boom arms. As sometimes I need a long arm and sometimes a short one. This allows me to change boom arms without having to reposition the stand.

Old 03-17-2024, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Please excuse the poor photography. I just took down my photo studio last week. Took picture indoors with my pocket camera and a white photo-board. Turned it to black and white to bring out a little more detail.

As you can see: Boom arm fully connected via Triad-Orbit. At the end of the boom arm is half of the Triad-Orbit with out its male counterpart.

Old 03-19-2024, 09:59 AM

Have any of you camera nuts (that’s me too) looked in to the KUHO lighting stands? Around $250. Very heavy (doubt that I will gig with it) but it is dead steady and the clutch is SOLID! Like real solid. And very easy to tighten/loosen.
I used a short boom (8”) extension for the mic attachment. I have not used the stands being discussed so I cannot compare but the KUHO works well for me. I am glad I bought it before you folks made me buy one of those zillion dollar ones……. And I would have….
Old 03-19-2024, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbigfly View Post
Have any of you camera nuts (that’s me too) looked in to the KUHO lighting stands? Around $250. Very heavy (doubt that I will gig with it) but it is dead steady and the clutch is SOLID! Like real solid. And very easy to tighten/loosen.
I used a short boom (8”) extension for the mic attachment. I have not used the stands being discussed so I cannot compare but the KUHO works well for me. I am glad I bought it before you folks made me buy one of those zillion dollar ones……. And I would have….
No links available?
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 03-19-2024, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbigfly View Post
I am guessing you mean KUPO ? If so,, not sure what you mean by-- "those zillion dollar stands" Given KUPO's high end stand is $4,279.95

https://kupogrip.com/kupo-jumbo-stan...braked-wheels/

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 03-19-2024, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I am guessing you mean KUPO ? If so,, not sure what you mean by-- "those zillion dollar stands" Given KUPO's high end stand is $4,279.95
Kupo makes a lot of stands but everything I'm seeing in the $250 range is a tripod base that I'd never use for anything other than a cheap mic. A good mic stand is mic insurance. My stands aren't falling over even if someone falls against them.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 03-20-2024, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Kupo makes a lot of stands but everything I'm seeing in the $250 range is a tripod base that I'd never use for anything other than a cheap mic. A good mic stand is mic insurance. My stands aren't falling over even if someone falls against them.
Exactly in other words as far as cost to what you actually get performance and security wise, as with most things it is all relative and pretty much you get what pay for. And I completely understand everyones budget is different. But I was simply pointing out the juxtaposition and irony of calling Latch Lake et. al. "those zillion dollar stands" when KUPO's top of line is almost 4 times the price of the top Latch Lake

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD