The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-16-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
And what can you say about a nephew who bad-mouths his uncle?
Quite a lot I think.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 08-16-2018, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What a bunch of Pollyanna's! All sweetness and light, it's all good, our days do not darken. So sweet I almost want to puke. Someone has to represent reality. My nephew K is the real culprit, he's been there and done that, and he knows better. I think he's just spoiled. And what can you say about a nephew who bad-mouths his uncle?
What can you say? In the words of the philosopher inmates of Cellblock Tango: "He had it coming..." (the musical Chicago reference)

Old 08-17-2018, 05:55 PM
Guest 928

WOW Jim, I didn't know you'd been in Cellblock Tango--I suppose that helps explain all the biker stuff. Was Tango where you got your navigational skills.? Did a prison program help you go straight (more or less)?

And you are certainly right, Mr. K has it coming. But he's a young, brash whippersnapper and I don't wish him ill.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
WOW Jim, I didn't know you'd been in Cellblock Tango--I suppose that helps explain all the biker stuff. Was Tango where you got your navigational skills.? Did a prison program help you go straight (more or less)?

And you are certainly right, Mr. K has it coming. But he's a young, brash whippersnapper and I don't wish him ill.
Well, since Cellblock Tango was in a women's prison, I was not incarcerated there. Help me go straight? Yeah, I am too pretty to go back to prison.

I think we all knew the "he" I was referencing.

Kramster is young? I think he's only a year or two behind me. Kids these days.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Kramster is young? .
I sure was.... Define young if you remember
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-18-2018, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
I sure was.... Define young if you remember
Young and old are personal relative terms. I've defined old as: 15 years older than you are currently. When you're 10, 25 is old... when you're 25, 40 is old... etc.

Some say "young" is a state of mind. These days, I define young as: anyone who can move better than me. So, even though your "uncle" is older than either of us, he may still be young.

Playing guitar keeps you young at heart.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:56 AM
Guest 928

Anything younger than 75 is young.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Default It's heeere...

So, after declaring my preference from the non-woody model and ordering same, I changed my mind and ordered the Padauk X20. Set me back a few months but it arrived today. Quick reactions:

1) prettier in person than the picture, which hopefully is included here.
2) every bit as comfortable as I recalled when testing.
3) I had a chance to test it side by side with a Rainsong WS 1005NS and liked them both equally for sound. Thought the Emerald was marginally brighter and the Rainsong a bit more pronounced bass, but that could easily have been the strings (fresh on mine, who knows on the one in the store). Pretty sure that I would not be able to all them apart if I turned my back. Had someone else play and had same reaction from in front.
4) also tested side by side with H&D 0 size and Martin 0 size to see if this Emerald will solve my small-body cravings as well. Jury is out on that - will have to go back for a retest after I get used to the X20. Definitely a difference in sound when played back to back. Neither one was better - just different. Not sure I will be willing to spend 3K for the smaller wood model..... maybe for an X30 though.
5) have not tried using the pickup. I do like that you have to look for it to know it's there.

I was going to record a side by side with my 1998 HD28, but I suggest you look at byudzai's X30 comparison instead. Same conclusions and much better presentation than I could have done. Not to mention the playing.

If I'm lucky, the Emerald photo of this actual guitar is here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1kqdza58y5...1-1.1.jpg?dl=0

Note: I was hoping to embed it but it looks like it is at least reachable.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:18 PM
Guest 928

That is a very beautiful guitar--makes me want to reach out and give it some play.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations - it’s a beauty! I didn’t think I’d spend for a woody either, but rathe impulsively ordered a stock woody X7 last week, got it yesterday. I also have a plain carbon X20. These guitars should last as much of a lifetime as we want them to, so the extra cost for a veneer is pretty easy to absorb in that context. We know they’re great guitars - if you do or don’t like them as much as wooden acoustics is a matter of individual taste.

Enjoy it and use it well!

-Ray
Old 11-30-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Anything younger than 75 is young.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 11-30-2018, 07:01 PM

Congratulations on your X20 she's a beauty, but than again, aren't they all. Every time I read a post about someone receiving an X20 increases my desire/jealousy/GAS for one myself. I've resisted so far but my X30 and Gibson don't like each other.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

ssjk - here ya go...

Congrats! That is a real beauty!
Old 12-01-2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Every time I read a post about someone receiving an X20 increases my desire/jealousy/GAS for one myself. I've resisted so far but my X30 and Gibson don't like each other.
Huh? Do they fight for your attention? Maybe a new stablemate would draw them closer together with a common enemy.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 12-01-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
Huh? Do they fight for your attention? Maybe a new stablemate would draw them closer together with a common enemy.
No it hasn't been much of a fight. Poor wooden Gibson has been sitting in the case ever since the X30 showed up. But I do think the X30 will get along better with his lil' brother the X20!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber