The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-08-2013, 08:41 PM

Default Looking Forward to the Rainsong Parlor Road Trip!

Steve continues to post some wonderful feedback about the P12, and I can't wait for the MacNichol road trip! I will get to play my Shorty side by side it, and I suspect it will be instant love.

I think Ashvin and Ted put together a great guitar, and that a parlor will be a sweet spot for the market.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 04-09-2013, 12:21 PM

Lisa,

Is Michael actually doing a road trip? I'd love to spend a week with the P12 for sure.

Is he doing both P12 and P14?

JD
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 04-09-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDes View Post
Lisa,

Is Michael actually doing a road trip? I'd love to spend a week with the P12 for sure.

Is he doing both P12 and P14?

JD
Yes, he is doing a road trip!!!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 04-10-2013, 09:16 AM

It will interesting to see how the shorty players rate this guitar. I would just have to think it would be a step down, its basically a Shorty with a smaller body and sound board? How could it compete? I would mention the "cute" word but I find its brings out the worst in macho players? Lol. Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 04-10-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
It will interesting to see how the shorty players rate this guitar. I would just have to think it would be a step down, its basically a Shorty with a smaller body and sound board? How could it compete? I would mention the "cute" word but I find its brings out the worst in macho players? Lol. Steve
I only played the Parlor in Michael's shop for a few minutes, but if you A/B it with a Shorty, it does just have a little bit less bottom end. I prefer the tone of the Shorty to the Parlor, but I don't think that one is necessarily better than the other. For someone like yourself with a bunch of guitars, I could see really wanting a Parlor to have that unique tone that a smaller bodied guitar gives you.

Seriously though, it is way cute, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a hint of buyer's remorse. Even just the case is so sleek and sexy. It almost looks like a Les Paul case or something. I wouldn't trade my Shorty for a Parlor, being that it's my only CF guitar. But if I had the money, I would probably prefer to have a Parlor and then a fuller bodied guitar, like a rainsong jumbo or a GXi or an X20-OS or something.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 04-10-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyB View Post
I only played the Parlor in Michael's shop for a few minutes, but if you A/B it with a Shorty, it does just have a little bit less bottom end. I prefer the tone of the Shorty to the Parlor, but I don't think that one is necessarily better than the other. For someone like yourself with a bunch of guitars, I could see really wanting a Parlor to have that unique tone that a smaller bodied guitar gives you.

Seriously though, it is way cute, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a hint of buyer's remorse. Even just the case is so sleek and sexy. It almost looks like a Les Paul case or something. I wouldn't trade my Shorty for a Parlor, being that it's my only CF guitar. But if I had the money, I would probably prefer to have a Parlor and then a fuller bodied guitar, like a rainsong jumbo or a GXi or an X20-OS or something.
It's not either or CB, I mean I don't see folks selling their Martin OM's because they bought a Martin 0-15. The Shorty and the Parlor are two very different guitars, each bringing something different to the table.

If you want or need a parlor or a great travel friendly acoustic than you can do a lot worse than the P12, but it's not a replacement for the Shorty. In fact a few weeks ago a good client came in to look around and just fell in love with the P12 so he bought one. After a week he came back for an adjustment and while he was waiting he picked up one of our custom Shorty's and realized he preferred the added bass response. Since he really didn't the small size of the P12 he ended up going home with an SG-FLE.

I often hear manufacturers say they are afraid to come out with something new for fear of cannibalizing the sale of an existing model, and given some of the posts here comparing the Shorty with the Parlor I can see why they would think that, but they are wrong because eventually folks will figure out the difference and either choose one or maybe decide they "need" both, which has been the case with Rainsongs two latest models.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:53 PM

I agree I don't see the Parlor taking other sales it is pretty unique. Perfect timing really, parlors seem to be all the rage now. We love more guitars and it is a type not as many people have. The wood area is full of parlors now. A carbon should get its share. It would not be my main guitar but I have enough of those. And the ability of this one to morph into a travel, helps to rationalize any purchase.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 04-10-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
It's not either or CB, I mean I don't see folks selling their Martin OM's because they bought a Martin 0-15. The Shorty and the Parlor are two very different guitars, each bringing something different to the table.
I totally agree. It's kind of either/or for me just because of money, but I feel like the Shorty serves my needs better than the Parlor. However, my needs aren't everyone else's needs. I think the Parlor will be a hit, but I don't see it cannibalizing the sales of the Shorty. And I don't really see the Shorty cannibalizing the sales of any of Rainsongs existing offerings, except maybe the CO-OM models, just because you get the same body shape and top material for so much cheaper (if you like the 12-fret neck and short scale).

At any rate, I think it's a valid concern for manufacturers, but I feel like Rainsong specifically doesn't have too much overlap. Especially with the Parlor. I mean, people were begging for a smaller guitar from them, and I don't see a lot of people selling their older Rainsongs because they got a Parlor, unless they have a strict 1-in 1-out policy. But who has that kind of self-control.

I think another valid concern that CF manufacturers are running into is innovation. Taylor has some of the same concerns. I am a huge fan of innovation, and applaud manufacturers who are always pushing the envelope, but it can harm used sales. Granted, used sales don't make the manufacturer any money, but you may be hesitant to buy a new guitar if you think the next hot thing is just around the corner, and then you're gonna be left holding the "old" one.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 04-12-2013, 10:16 AM

From what I recall in my last visit to Ted's, the P12 didn't sound like a CF guitar to me whereas the shorty did. THAT, to me, is a big deal and a huge difference between the two. But maybe I need more time with the P12 to verify the observation.

JD
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 04-19-2013, 07:40 AM

I have just been playing the Parlor alot, it really continues to be an irrestable couch guitar. And I tend to play alot on the couch. Continue to like the size (fit) and tone. Though I hate barndoors it really was very convenient when I took it to Praise Band practice last night. I was tired and caring it into church in a gig bag is like carrying nothing. The preamp gave me a great EQd sound very quickly through the system. That preamp is pretty versatile and really can adjust as well as my Dtar unit maybe a little better.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber