The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-26-2013, 07:21 PM

Default Which Rainsong Has the Woodiest/Warmest Sound?

I do not have a dealer near me to play their different models side by side. This thread maybe a bit controversial as some don't want a carbon fiber guitar to sound like wood.

Jeremy has posted on MacNichol some amazing recordings of Doug Youngs songs played on the Shorty. I think if one were to close their eyes you would not know it is a carbon fiber guitar.

Composite Acoustics has had a reputation of having more of a wood like tone. Anyone get a chance to go to Teds shop and play some Rainsongs side by side?

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo

Last edited by Kindness; 03-27-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:21 PM

I was also looking for the warmest-sounding Rainsong, and I ended up getting the Bluegrass model.

Here's a video comparison with another model: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb9i0tadhN4

This video to me really gives a good sense of its sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv9QpJgj5E8. Mine sounds very much like this (but it's not played so well). Another one by the same guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXkxtdlLdWU.

Last edited by Geof S.; 03-27-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:45 PM

Doubleneck just posted a comparison of five guitars on MacNichol. Wow, the Parlor and the OM1000 sound great!

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 03-27-2013, 07:29 PM

The descriptions of each Rainsong model on their website within each class are the same!!! Opening paragraphs don't differentiate the models at all.

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 03-27-2013, 07:33 PM

Hello Lisa...To my ears,(have not played them yet), any of the unidirectional tops seem to sound pretty woodie to me. Kind of like a cross between a spruce and cedar top. But that's just listening thru the Internet connection...so really no help to you...
Old 03-27-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytone View Post
Hello Lisa...To my ears,(have not played them yet), any of the unidirectional tops seem to sound pretty woodie to me. Kind of like a cross between a spruce and cedar top. But that's just listening thru the Internet connection...so really no help to you...
The Uni top is what turned me on to Rainsong guitars! Three years ago, I played a CO-WS1000N2 and fell right in love. I couldn't believe how woody it sounded.

Wow, seeing so much discussion around their guiars and now people posting sound clips is really exciting. At the same time, I want to try every model out!!

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 03-27-2013, 08:50 PM

Having owned four Rainsongs in my time, I'd have to say the JM1000 has the warmest sound of all, especially when using just fingers; no picks.
Variax 700/podXt Live
Yamaha C40 Classical
(Chinese) Acrylic Strat
Old 03-27-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itself View Post
The Uni top is what turned me on to Rainsong guitars! Three years ago, I played a CO-WS1000N2 and fell right in love. I couldn't believe how woody it sounded.

Wow, seeing so much discussion around their guiars and now people posting sound clips is really exciting. At the same time, I want to try every model out!!
Ditto that Lisa...Even worse, I want to OWN them all!!! I see the next few years getting pretty expensive around my neck of the woods...sigh...
Old 03-27-2013, 09:44 PM

Over time I have owned 9 different Carbon Fiber guitars. CA, Rainsong, Blackbird and Emerald. Now I'm down to two - a pre-Peavey CA OX and a Rainsong LA2-LE 12-Fret WS. I almost bought a Shorty from Ted but held off. A couple of months later, after hearing Ted describe the LA2 on the phone, I bought it sight unseen. I play very light fingerstyle and have found it to be the warmest carbon guitar I've experienced. That is also the response I've gotten from friends who've heard the other carbons that have spent some time with me.
Check the LAGuitarSales website to see if he still has any available.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdcee View Post
Over time I have owned 9 different Carbon Fiber guitars. CA, Rainsong, Blackbird and Emerald. Now I'm down to two - a pre-Peavey CA OX and a Rainsong LA2-LE 12-Fret WS. I almost bought a Shorty from Ted but held off. A couple of months later, after hearing Ted describe the LA2 on the phone, I bought it sight unseen. I play very light fingerstyle and have found it to be the warmest carbon guitar I've experienced. That is also the response I've gotten from friends who've heard the other carbons that have spent some time with me.
Check the LAGuitarSales website to see if he still has any available.
Interesting. And if you go to Ted's website, and look at all of the descriptions of all of the RS guitars, it is clear that the LA2 is described as the warmest.

For me, the lower bout is a bit wide at 15.8", which is about 1/2 inch wider than my Shorty. I have cervical disc issues, and need to have a smaller sized guitar. I always find it fascinating how just small changes in dimensions make such an enormous difference.

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 03-28-2013, 08:37 PM

I am back in visiting with my mom and twin brother and played a bit for them tonight. When I told them I was thinking of trading my Shorty for a Parlor, the room filled with noise of objections, saying how warm and wonderful the Shorty is and how much they love it!

The audience truly is the best judge, isn't it! I love this guitar!

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 03-29-2013, 01:34 AM

I love this little Parlor but I can't imagine that the Shorty is not better given its the same guitar only bigger body. Plus you have all that abalone?
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 03-29-2013, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
I love this little Parlor but I can't imagine that the Shorty is not better given its the same guitar only bigger body. Plus you have all that abalone?
Yes, I love my Forum Limited Edition Shorty, and the story behind that edition is really special to me. But somehow I know my powers of persuasion might be able to talk Ted into doing a Parlor Forum Limited Edition. And maybe even trump the Shorty and get Ted to install some really nice tuners with black buttons. The two would be quite the special pair...

When I was lugging my Shorty through the airport the other day, I kept thinking how nice a small Parlor would be to travel with! That being said, I am patiently waiting for a solution from Reunion Blues.

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo

Last edited by Kindness; 03-29-2013 at 05:07 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:37 AM

I am sure Ted will concoct a special Parlor he loves to do that. This would be interesting because a Parlor tends to be plainer in design. I think the plain fret border and simple rosette is appropriate but doing that simple thin design in abalone with maybe one abalone design higher up the fret board?
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 03-30-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarget View Post
Having owned four Rainsongs in my time, I'd have to say the JM1000 has the warmest sound of all, especially when using just fingers; no picks.
Ditto; my wife and I own a JM1000/JM3000 his-&-hers set, and I like to think of it as the big, round, full, and clear sound Bob T. hears in his head but can't quite achieve with all-wood construction...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber