The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-17-2012, 09:17 AM

Default Carbon Fiber Nylon Stringed Guitars

Emerald Guitars broke the barrier with an X20-OS Nylon stringed guitar, pictured here: http://macnichol.com/forum-post/5297

Truly beautiful. It sounds like he has another nylon project in the works.

Leviora also has a nylon stringed guitar in the works. Thomas is very open to ideas, and there is some great discussion on the MacNichols forum.

And of course, Blackbird has the Nylon Rider.

CF guitars are no longer the plasticy sounding ones of the past. There is real substance to them, and the CF luthiers are really thinking out of the box. Voicing a nylon guitar will be challenging. But something tells me that Alistair and Thomas are up for the task.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 12-19-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itself View Post
Emerald Guitars broke the barrier with an X20-OS Nylon stringed guitar, pictured here: http://macnichol.com/forum-post/5297

Truly beautiful. It sounds like he has another nylon project in the works.

Leviora also has a nylon stringed guitar in the works. Thomas is very open to ideas, and there is some great discussion on the MacNichols forum.

And of course, Blackbird has the Nylon Rider.

CF guitars are no longer the plasticy sounding ones of the past. There is real substance to them, and the CF luthiers are really thinking out of the box. Voicing a nylon guitar will be challenging. But something tells me that Alistair and Thomas are up for the task.
FYI Rainsongs founder, Dr. John Decker was a classical guitarist at the time he started the company and in fact Rainsong built a really nice, traditional looking classical well before anyone else used graphite for guitars. Not sure why they dropped it but it's good to see others haven't given up on a graphite classical.

BTW, Dr. Decker is still plays and builds classical guitars.

http://www.guitarmasterworks.com/abo...hilosophy.html

Last edited by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales; 12-19-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:56 PM

I have spoken with Dr Decker via email and he is such a nice man. His guitars in Maui are simply gorgeous.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 12-20-2012, 11:00 AM

yeah! Alistair have some secret plans about a nylon guitar. Somewhere in a near future he'll surprise us with something really special. a huge expectation is really building up around that model
Wes Lambe 8-strings
Avalon dread
...and some old fender, basses, violins, harps...
Old 01-20-2013, 10:23 PM

Smile

I own the Rainsong WS9000 that was featured at the 2004 NAMM. I wouldn't trade this thing in for anything - it and it's two brothers (JM1000/JM3000) will be my guitars of choice until I can't play them anymore. The WS9000 is loud, sounds marvelous plugged in, and I've never quite understood how this guitar sat on a Kentucky store shelf for four years. Yeah, I know - it was waiting for me.

D.W.
Variax 700/podXt Live
Yamaha C40 Classical
(Chinese) Acrylic Strat
Old 01-30-2013, 10:25 PM

First take on a Corea tune I liked but hadn't played till this week. When I was ~16 playing in Detroit and doing a lot of sessions this was just becoming one of the hot session tunes but I was more into gigs by that time so I think I never got a chance to play it.

So at about 3 minutes 45 seconds into this thing, the battery on my video gave out and since I wanted the audio track up , I slyly switch to some wild animal footage taken minutes ago in my house which is completely terrible but "any port in a storm".

The recording is mostly mic'd with a Rode NT1 with a little help from the pickup. The backing track was just a remix I did on some "iReal B" track. Credits to the author. Oh yeah: For the guitar geeks out there that care: For the first time I'm using Phosphor Bronze strings (12-54) that give a brighter and tighter tone and feel which I really like. I had to change all the magnetic screw adjustments to work with the bronze and steel mix.

These are all first takes , flubs and all

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber