The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-03-2012, 05:53 PM

Our local coffee shop has live music every Saturday night. We usually attend. Last week, a really good blues singer/guitarist twice quit playing a song during the first verse because he forgot the lyrics. Completely stopped, fumbled around and apologized... then, started a different song.

Two weeks ago, a guy hummed lines for several songs because he forgot the lyrics.

This seems to happen every week for people without lyric/chord sheets. I'd much rather they had them and sang the songs correctly.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
Our local coffee shop has live music every Saturday night. We usually attend. Last week, a really good blues singer/guitarist twice quit playing a song during the first verse because he forgot the lyrics. Completely stopped, fumbled around and apologized... then, started a different song.

Two weeks ago, a guy hummed lines for several songs because he forgot the lyrics.

This seems to happen every week for people without lyric/chord sheets. I'd much rather they had them and sang the songs correctly.
Is that a lack of lyric sheets or simply not being ready to perform?

When you go to a movie or play, you don't expect actors to be reading from scripts, it detracts from the believability of the performance, same with music at that level. It is expected with multi-part classical performances but that's about it.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Is that a lack of lyric sheets or simply not being ready to perform?

When you go to a movie or play, you don't expect actors to be reading from scripts, it detracts from the believability of the performance, same with music at that level. It is expected with multi-part classical performances but that's about it.
Definitely a lack of lyric sheets.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:15 PM

I think I will use one when I perform again. Try as I may, I cannot remember the lyrics and chord changes to all of my music. I do different sets, country, rock, 80s, 70s and 60s. Phil Ochs, changes, has like 12 verses. My Stan Rogers pieces have like 6 to 12 verses.

I simply cannot remember all that. I was teaching karate tonite and forgot the Japanese word for ridge hand strike. Now, 2 hours later, I remember, its called Haito. I called it ridge hand in class.

olldddddddddddd....
Old 07-04-2012, 11:32 AM

Well, I play solo instrumental acoustic gigs, all fingerstyle stuff. Have a repertoire of around fifty songs, many of them pretty complex and several pages long. Am sixty two and, simply put, there is no way I'm going to memorize all that stuff. Besides, I'm shuffling new songs at the rate of at least two per week into my sets.

Don't use a music stand though, I've scanned all my arrangements into .pdf files that are then loaded onto my iPad using ForScore software. Invested in a bluetooth page turner that I simply tap with my foot to turn pages forwards or backwards. A crutch? Yes. Not nearly as intrusive as a music stand though.

Works great!
Old 07-04-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Last week, a really good blues singer/guitarist twice quit playing a song during the first verse because he forgot the lyrics. Completely stopped, fumbled around and apologized... then, started a different song.
I would have made a joke out of it if I called attention to it at all. Most likely I'd have sung a different verse, made one up, played a break while I gave it some thought or segued to a different song on the fly. I would not have apologized, that just makes everyone uncomfortable. This guy just needs a little seasoning, not necessarily a music stand.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregEL View Post
Well, I play solo instrumental acoustic gigs, all fingerstyle stuff. Have a repertoire of around fifty songs, many of them pretty complex and several pages long. Am sixty two and, simply put, there is no way I'm going to memorize all that stuff. Besides, I'm shuffling new songs at the rate of at least two per week into my sets.

Don't use a music stand though, I've scanned all my arrangements into .pdf files that are then loaded onto my iPad using ForScore software. Invested in a bluetooth page turner that I simply tap with my foot to turn pages forwards or backwards. A crutch? Yes. Not nearly as intrusive as a music stand though.

Works great!
You da man, GregEL!! Exactly what I do. iPad attached to the mic stand, Pageflipper, set lists already programmed in. For me, the perfect solution. You're 62 and I'm 57... great to see that we... er, ... more mature folks have embraced modern technology.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Exactly what I do. iPad attached to the mic stand, Pageflipper, set lists already programmed in. .
I don't have an ipad, but my wife says she can't see hers in the sun. So what do you do for an outdoor gig? Or do you have a newer model?
Old 07-04-2012, 01:47 PM

I don't play outdoors (just coffee shops, wine bars, etc.) but in the setup you can make your iPad screen brighter (which I do). Also, ForScore has a crop feature that allows one to make the .pdf files fill the screen nicely.

Forgot to mention that I use a mic stand with an iKlip attached and the iPad angled up.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:49 PM

Doesn't anybody just tape the lyrics to the upper bout anymore?
Old 07-04-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Doesn't anybody just tape the lyrics to the upper bout anymore?
Quarterbacks do that
Old 07-05-2012, 04:26 AM

Default Funny Posts on music Stands

Im new to the forum and got quite a kick out of reading music stand opinions . I've been playing over 30 years and with the 100 or so songs i play I HAVE to use one. no matter how many times I play a song, they will be times a chord can not be thought of quickly - or a lyric line lost , most embarassing , so i rely on one , a VERY SMALL ONE in the very small notebook type so less noticeable altho there . it makes me much more comfortable to have the crutch not being a " Professional " Musician , something which is brought about by beginning to play in puberty I think ... while I started at 25 BIG DIFFERENCE . I had a duo in West Palm with a Lead player who was self taught from AGE 6 . He was tremendous but couldnt Sing and didnt know why . I Had to tell him , you have to transpose the song to suit YOUR VOCAL ABILITY . almost all of my songs are transposed somewhat or capo played a couple frets . MANY Do not understand this concept but makes for much more comfortable singings and listening. took me years to figure that one out .. Kudos to all with brilliant memories who can remember every chord and lyric of every song ... I wish I could ...
Old 07-05-2012, 11:36 AM

as usual on the AGF, if you wish to use a music stand, use it. if you don't, don't! no one will think badly if you do or don't. it is entirely up to you.

note that orchestras still use them and i would venture to say they have practiced their musical pieces much more than we would.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 07-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
as usual on the AGF, if you wish to use a music stand, use it. if you don't, don't! no one will think badly if you do or don't. it is entirely up to you.

note that orchestras still use them and i would venture to say they have practiced their musical pieces much more than we would.

play music!
True enough. The big bands used them too, as did the Lawrence Welk orchestra and others like them. Nothing wrong with a music stand. I agree with your post and there is enough historical precedence to support it. It really is a matter of choice, and as some have mentioned in this thread, it can also depend on the musical style and venue.

Tony
Old 08-15-2012, 02:46 PM

Default Guy Yelled

I remember decades ago i was playing out somewhere with a BIG MUSIC STAND , and some guy yelled HEY MOVE THE MUSIC STAND WE CANT SEE !!! It was THEN I knew I had to do something to not have this happen again , other than not using a music stand , so now, I Have downsized all my songs to the smallest size notebook available 6 x 8 inches I think , and LAY THE MUSIC STAND ALMOST HORIZONTAL so there is only about a 2 inch " foot print " from looking from an AUDIENCE View.... so it isnt even noticed...Easier to see the songs also .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write