The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-22-2019, 12:20 PM
Guest 728

Thumbs up Played a Mule today!

I heard that the local vintage shop had a used Mule single-cone steel resonator in stock, so I went in and took it for a spin today. No way can I justify dropping that kind of coin right now, but what a player!! I A/B'd it with a 1930s National, and it totally held its own. Immaculate construction.

Anyone got one? Pics? Impressions?
Old 03-22-2019, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

I've wanted a good resonator since seeing Son House play here in Rochester, New York, back in November 1964. Back in the late 1970s, I had an American-made, metal-bodied Dobro that was pretty nice but wanted the National mojo but never followed-up on it. Mule resonators have an excellent reputation and so does Republic. Have you compared Mule to Republic? Given your druthers, would you buy a comparable-model of your choice in a National, Mule or Republic?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 03-22-2019, 01:14 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Have you compared Mule to Republic? Given your druthers, would you buy a comparable-model of your choice in a National, Mule or Republic?
I have owned two Republics -- a tricone and a parlor. Both were of such shoddy construction that I would never even consider buying another.

My National M2, on the other hand, is a wonderful guitar -- flawless in tone, build, and playability. I've long planned to get myself a steel-bodied National NRP one day, but after today's experience, I would be thrilled to have a Mule.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
I have owned two Republics -- a tricone and a parlor. Both were of such shoddy construction that I would never even consider buying another.

My National M2, on the other hand, is a wonderful guitar -- flawless in tone, build, and playability. I've long planned to get myself a steel-bodied National NRP one day, but after today's experience, I would be thrilled to have a Mule.
Thanks, Willie! Well, it looks like it comes down to a Mule or a National!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 03-22-2019, 07:16 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Thanks, Willie! Well, it looks like it comes down to a Mule or a National!
Yep -- can't make a bad choice with either!
Old 03-22-2019, 09:22 PM

They sound great in YouTube videos. I think they definitely have a cool vibe. Great name, too. My only issue with Mule is that because they are sold out months in advance and thus charge a high premium for their reso's, National Resophonic seems to have responded with escalated prices as well. Haha. Too many dang people want reso's now. It's driving up the price. Ha.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:58 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
My only issue with Mule is that because they are sold out months in advance and thus charge a high premium for their reso's, National Resophonic seems to have responded with escalated prices as well. Haha. Too many dang people want reso's now. It's driving up the price. Ha.
Even though a handmade-in-USA resonator costs three grand these days, that's still less than a lot of boutique guitars. For quality, I'd put the guys at NRP and Matt Eich of Mule up against any of them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments