The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 03-10-2019, 01:18 PM

Default PBS Woody Guthrie?

Watched their Woody tribute pledge drive program from 1970 last night which was pretty interesting. The uncut coiled strings seemed to be the in thing
back then. Kind of silly now. I'm curious about what two guitars I saw were, one a 12 string slot head by Pete and one I couldn't ID played by Odetta. Also wondered what kind of and what thickness a pick Havens would have been using
back then. You could see why his Guild had a double pickguard.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:56 PM

My wife asked me about that and I said that was a thing back then. I always thought it was because us hippy guitar players could never find anything to snip 'em with.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

I enjoyed it too. I recognized some of the players and others I didn't. Good show though. I don't really know what Peter Fonda or "Grandpa Walton" added to it but some of Woody Guthrie's words were good to hear. I really liked the singing of Odetta.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:47 PM

The young Joan Baez strongly resembles the young Julia Louis-Dreyfus.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Old 03-10-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arktrav View Post
I enjoyed it too. I recognized some of the players and others I didn't. Good show though. I don't really know what Peter Fonda or "Grandpa Walton" added to it but some of Woody Guthrie's words were good to hear. I really liked the singing of Odetta.
I have not seen that program however as someone who is a Guthrie fan I think the reason why Will Geer (Grandpa Walton) appears in the program is because he was a very good friend of Woody's. When Geer moved to California Woody visited him and lived for a short time with Geer and his wife. I would imagine Peter Fonda is in it representing his father Henry Fonda who was in the movie adaptation of "The Grapes Of Wrath" which influenced Woody's songwriting.

Anyhow I would like to check out that show.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryfly View Post
Watched their Woody tribute pledge drive program from 1970 last night which was pretty interesting. The uncut coiled strings seemed to be the in thing
back then. Kind of silly now. I'm curious about what two guitars I saw were, one a 12 string slot head by Pete and one I couldn't ID played by Odetta. Also wondered what kind of and what thickness a pick Havens would have been using
That show looks pretty cool. I'll have to check it out if/when it airs local to me. Here's the trailer and such...https://www.thirteen.org/programs/pb...review-ytchbr/
Old 03-11-2019, 12:07 PM

When I first started playing in 1971 (wish I had stuck with it now) I left my strings coiled and untrimmed. Primarily it was because I would stick the filter end of my lit cigarette on the business end of the low E. I thought I was way cool. Stupid in retrospect.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 03-11-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geichel View Post
My wife asked me about that and I said that was a thing back then. I always thought it was because us hippy guitar players could never find anything to snip 'em with.
I suspect this was a large part of the reason. Folks didn't have guitar techs or necessarily carry a small toolkit all the time. I think I saw one shot of Joan Baez's guitar headstock in the concert with one loose string end, and I wonder if it was a case of single broken string replaced--which would be another thing that even performing folkies might do then, but would (almost?) never do now.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 03-11-2019, 02:37 PM

Enjoyed it.

Ry Cooder in the backing band too. And I had to find out who the guy I didn't recognize who was playing guitar, singing backup and I think even autoharp on one song. Found out it was John Pilla, who played with Arlo Guthrie around that time.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 03-11-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I suspect this was a large part of the reason. Folks didn't have guitar techs or necessarily carry a small toolkit all the time. I think I saw one shot of Joan Baez's guitar headstock in the concert with one loose string end, and I wonder if it was a case of single broken string replaced--which would be another thing that even performing folkies might do then, but would (almost?) never do now.
For real? If one string breaks you're supposed to change all six?
Old 03-11-2019, 04:18 PM

Default The guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryfly View Post
So anyone know what the guitars I mentioned are?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN