The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-09-2013, 09:11 AM

Default Medium Strings Can Go on a Shorty!

I emailed RainSong again as I wanted to get a clear answer. It is simpy a matter of how you like your action. Medium strings can be used. Here is their response:

Hi Lisa:

The Shorty was designed for light gauge strings in standard E tuning.

While using medium strings in standard E tuning will not damage your instrument, the added string tension will cause the action to go up. The saddle and/or truss rod may need to be adjusted.

Best Regards.

On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 7:02 AM, Lisa Bromfield <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi there!

Another question! I have a guitar tech set my Shorty up with Elixir Polyweb medium strings .13-.56. I play one whole step down, in D.

Can I play the guitar in standard E tuning?

Thanks!

Lisa

Sent from my iPad

--
RainSong Sales/Customer Service

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 07-09-2013, 08:41 PM

Did not think it was an issue but I know some of the earlier responses from rainsong were lukewarm as to using mediums......good to get that affirmation. In a Stuart Smalley sort of way......

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 07-09-2013, 10:19 PM

It wasn't easy to get Elixir Polyweb medium strings in Singapore. Managed to track down the only official distributor last week (and even then, he has only 4 sets of mediums)

Before purchasing the mediums, the dealer enquired which guitar am i using it on; he has seen too many guitars damaged by the higher tension of the medium strings. He cited that the 90% humidity here as the chief culprit.

I was only allowed to purchase the Elixir mediums after i replied that i'm using them on the Composite Acoustics Cargo (carbon-fiber and slightly shorter scale length).

Didn't know that high humidity & higher string tension can damage wooden guitars...
2009 GXi Wine
2009 CA 12-Strings Sun-burst
2010 X-Performer Carbon-burst
2011 Cargo Red

Emerald Soloist
2012 X20-OS Vintage Amber

Blackbird Soloist
2013 Super OM Carbon-burst with italian racing red sound-holes

http://pinterest.com/charming01/carb...forced-guitars
Old 07-10-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoloff View Post
Did not think it was an issue but I know some of the earlier responses from rainsong were lukewarm as to using mediums......good to get that affirmation. In a Stuart Smalley sort of way......
I agree. The initial response I got from Jeanne was confusing so I emailed them again. And I believe the unidirectional top is their lightest top, so one would have to assume mediums would work on their other models too with a proper set up.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 07-10-2013, 07:15 AM

RAINSONG does not warranty the playability of an instrument... whose string gauge is different than the factory standard.

I think this statement on the Rainsong website has cause a lot of consternation over the years. Some have interpreted it to mean that you will void your warranty if you put medium strings on a guitar that ships with light gauge strings. However, all they're saying is that strings other than the gauge the guitar is deigned for may cause the guitar to have playability issues and they will not fix those playability issues under warranty. Besides, those issues will resolve themselves if you go back to the recommended string gauge.

In other words, if you put on medium gauge strings and find you have too much relief, Rainsong will not address the extra relief under warranty. The way to fix it is to go back to lights (or find a way to live with it by lowering the saddle, etc.).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber