The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-20-2010, 08:54 AM

Default Pavan?

I don't see anything here about Pavan... do any of you play them? I just "discovered" them online in the last few days, and they have several instruments in this price range.

Can anyone recommend or critique them?

Aparicio AA100 Classical Spruce/IR
Guild GAD-50e (meh)
Old 05-20-2010, 09:21 AM

They're supposed to be pretty nice. I've not played one of them, but they are pretty well-regarded. I don't think they do anything that classifies as a Crossover, though...
Old 05-20-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeddingGuy View Post
I don't see anything here about Pavan... do any of you play them? I just "discovered" them online in the last few days, and they have several instruments in this price range.

Can anyone recommend or critique them?
I can recommend them only on reputation, as I've never played a Pavan. But I've never seen a bad review of them, for that price range. I have one of Tom Prisloe's hand built classicals and he knows classicals. He inspects and sets the Pavans up himself and stands by them. (Not as in, stands next to them, but as in supports the customer. ) These are more traditionally sounding classicals. Some like that sound better than crossovers.

http://www.pavanguitars.com/

Last edited by David Hilyard; 05-20-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:34 AM

Talking

I just recently went back to my 1st Love which is a nylon string guitar. I got a Fender with a nice case and am totally happy with it for many reasons; one of which is, it fit my budget at the time. However, over the last 10 years I've had a few nicer, more expensive, nylons and; if money were not an object for me, I'd consider one of the two below.

1st - The Carvin CL450. I had one a few years back and wished I still did. It was the perfect crossover guitar for a Strat player like me with the thin body and sleek profile. Sounded very good unplugged, but absolutely shinned plugged in.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog...hp?model=cl450

2nd - A highend Taylor NS Series. I had a couple of these as well and they were great. I think mine was a NS64. Playability and tone were wonderful; I just didn't care for the larger body size.

Good luck in your quest!

~`vTg`~
Old 05-22-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageToneGuy View Post
I just recently went back to my 1st Love which is a nylon string guitar. I got a Fender with a nice case and am totally happy with it for many reasons; one of which is, it fit my budget at the time. However, over the last 10 years I've had a few nicer, more expensive, nylons and; if money were not an object for me, I'd consider one of the two below.

1st - The Carvin CL450. I had one a few years back and wished I still did. It was the perfect crossover guitar for a Strat player like me with the thin body and sleek profile. Sounded very good unplugged, but absolutely shinned plugged in.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog...hp?model=cl450

2nd - A highend Taylor NS Series. I had a couple of these as well and they were great. I think mine was a NS64. Playability and tone were wonderful; I just didn't care for the larger body size.

Good luck in your quest!

~`vTg`~

OOOOOOOh! That Carvin is SHAWEEEET!!! Something to definitely consider in the future.

I'm really loving my new Taylor NS32ce more and more each day!
Old 05-22-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric.Hope View Post
They're supposed to be pretty nice. I've not played one of them, but they are pretty well-regarded. I don't think they do anything that classifies as a Crossover, though...
I haven't played one either but have also only heard good things. I looked at the website and the closest they have to a crossover is still a 50mm nut which is 2 inches and has laminated sides and back so it is a different category of guitar than many of the others being discussed.
that's me on guitar
Old 05-22-2010, 02:46 PM

I'm going to throw in another vote for the Carvin CL450. Mine is a mahogany body with a flamed koa top and 1 7/8" nut. It's definitely a keeper.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical