The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-23-2017, 04:16 PM

Default Lucky 13 tone/volume compared to Rainsong Shorty, CA Cargo?

I am interested in the lucky 13. No where to play them around me. I have owned a Rainsong Shorty and a ca cargo. I prefer the tone of a cargo to the shorty. I was wondering if anyone could chime in on how the lucky 13 compares to these two and others. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:15 PM

Where do you live? Might be someone close enough to take a drive if you are feeling Lucky.

I really liked the Cargo, but I haven't played one in a few years so my memory could be sketchy. The Lucky is more guitar sound and feel than the Cargo, but of course it is bigger too.

I have played a Shorty more recently, but I didn't have both with me to A/B it to my Lucky. They feel pretty close in size. I think the Shorty is a little more bell like than my Lucky, but I played the Shorty in a store and the sound could have been more subjective than objective. I also think the Lucky has better projection, but again the caveat.

In 2014, I did research (meaning go to several stores and play) Rainsong, CA, Gibson, Martin, Blackbird and even a few Taylors after I got my Emerald X20 (in 2013). I ended up with the Lucky as I decided after a few months of wondering the stores that I was looking for a bluesy guitar to fingerpick with. I still believe it was the best I could actually touch before buying.

Have fun hunting. If you are really ambitious and want a vacation, run over to SF and chat up Joe at his shop.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 09-24-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndworshipper View Post
I am interested in the lucky 13. No where to play them around me. I have owned a Rainsong Shorty and a ca cargo. I prefer the tone of a cargo to the shorty. I was wondering if anyone could chime in on how the lucky 13 compares to these two and others. Thanks.
The Lucky 13 definitely has as much volume and projection as the Shorty. Tonally it's not quite as warm as the Cargo, but definitely warmer than the Rainsong. If you call me during showroom hours, 11-4 Mon-Thursday, I can give you an in hands description of all three.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:37 PM

Some people have said the lucky 13 is jangly/ blues boxy. Can anyone expand on that definition. Other have said it's been revoiced and it's a very good all a rounder. I'm so confused.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Some people have said the lucky 13 is jangly/ blues boxy. Can anyone expand on that definition. Other have said it's been revoiced and it's a very good all a rounder. I'm so confused.
It was revoiced about 2 years ago? You can tell the revoiced cause they added the soundport at the same time. I liked the revoicing in that to me it became less bluesy and more of a “normal” guitar sound. Terrible word to describe a sound but all I can think of. Sold mine cause I was getting back into wood guitars and only kept my Rainsong JM-1000 and Emerald Doubleneck.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 09-26-2017 at 05:33 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:01 PM
Guest 928

Double;

Very nice collection of fine musical instruments. And nice choice of carbon fiber options. I hope you keep us posted on whatever new instruments you may obtain, as part of the competition between wood and CF.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
You know, I got one of the first Lucky 13's, maybe even the fist one that Blackbird shipped out, and I didn't think it sounded jangly. And while it was definitely capable of playing the blues, I would not have called it a "blues box". I think that description stuck because the size, shape, and 13-fret neck are similar to the Gibson L00 Nick Lucas on paper, but as an owner of a Lucas, I can tell the L13 was, and is quite different. Joe did tweak the voice very early on to provide a fuller, more open tone, but it was a subtle tweak, something I was very happy for.

When I get a chance tomorrow I will a/b the Lucky 13 with some wood guitars and share my findings.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:21 PM

I got to hear my Lucky played by someone else this week for the first time, and it sounded great. Fuller or richer than I expected for being in front of it vs. playing it. Jangly is not a term that comes to mind for me with the Lucky, and it does handle blues well for the little I play them, but it also handles most of my fingerstyle songs well.
Call Ted, great info there.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:05 AM

I've played both versions - although it was quite a while ago now - my take on it was that I thought the original Lucky 13 was quite "bluesy" - I don't think boxy is quite the right word - but definitely in the mid range of things. Jangly - not at all. The revoicing gave it a richer, warmer tone in my opinion. Less "bluesy" but more versatile.
I did a youtube video of each version if you're interested on my channel, although I recorded them differently. Special Rider Blues on the original version, Early Morning Blues on the revoiced version.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 09-25-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
I've played both versions - although it was quite a while ago now - my take on it was that I thought the original Lucky 13 was quite "bluesy" - I don't think boxy is quite the right word - but definitely in the mid range of things. Jangly - not at all. The revoicing gave it a richer, warmer tone in my opinion. Less "bluesy" but more versatile.

I did a youtube video of each version if you're interested on my channel, although I recorded them differently. Special Rider Blues on the original version, Early Morning Blues on the revoiced version.

I am very interested in the video you did. Can you attach it to this thread?
Old 09-25-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
......while it was definitely capable of playing the blues, I would not have called it a "blues box". I think that description stuck because the size, shape, and 13-fret neck are similar to the Gibson L00 Nick Lucas on paper.....
I can understand this -- that is the way I approached this guitar when shopping and looking. I wanted a smaller body size but generally described it as an L00-style blues box.....because that was the easiest way to describe the body size and shape. Mine sees a lot of fingerpicked ragtime and blues, but not exclusively. It also goes to bluegrass jams too and strums rhythms nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
It was revoiced about 2 years ago? You can tell the revoiced cause they added the soundhole at the same time....
I presume you mean the side sound port -- the L13 has always had a center sound hole, to my knowledge. The first one that I saw in the flesh was in March 2016, and mine arrived in October 2016. I was actually torn between the Lucky 13 and the El Capitan, but was seeking a smaller body. El Capitan isn't as big as you might think despite the outward SJ-200 appearance, and it is a pretty good duplicate of my Taylor GA's in feel, size and sound.

Everyone who has heard my Lucky 13 has commented on how loud and projective it is out front. Those who have played it are happy with the neck comfort and playability. I have to admit, it is the handy little guitar that I reach for most often.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:49 AM

I've only had hands on the Shorty (own one) and Cargo (got to play one a bit), and I can tell you the Shorty is louder and has more presence by a mile. The Cargo just struck me as sounding dead-ish. Like, no real sustain or responsiveness. Maybe I held a dud, and some of the rest are better, but I wasn't impressed. Good luck on your search!
Old 09-25-2017, 11:38 AM

I think I have used those terms to describe it. My Lucky is set up pretty low, so any moderate to aggressive plucking will cause a buzz for all the strings (hence jangly and blues box - but probably still a way better beast than Rob Johnson ever held not even counting the carbon fiber aspects).

No buzz with my finger picking though. I think if I raised the stings a smidge then it could handle strumming better, but I like it like it as is as I just use the flesh of my fingertips on the strings. If I want to strum a song to sing along, then I pick up my X20.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 09-25-2017, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
I think I have used those terms to describe it. My Lucky is set up pretty low, so any moderate to aggressive plucking will cause a buzz for all the strings (hence jangly and blues box - but probably still a way better beast than Rob Johnson ever held not even counting the carbon fiber aspects).

No buzz with my finger picking though. I think if I raised the stings a smidge then it could handle strumming better, but I like it like it as is as I just use the flesh of my fingertips on the strings. If I want to strum a song to sing along, then I pick up my X20.
Different horses for different courses. Any guitar will buzz if you get the action low enough and the force used high enough. Nice to be able to have each set up for the way you will use them.

You can try using less force on the strumming, but that will likely affect the tone, as well. I have the action on my x20 a bit lower than on my x7, but I am a strummer/picker; that works for me.

I have respect for you fingerpicking folks. I tried that for a while, but it just didn't have the full backing sound I like with the vocals. Of course, this is just another reason we need more than one guitar.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Of course, this is just another reason we need more than one guitar.
Well said! Of the two guitars I play most at the moment I like the X20 best all around, but I love that little Lucky.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber