The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-03-2016, 10:42 AM

Default CF Bouzouki?

I have a Composite Acoustic that I love, others have come through my collection. I'm now considering enerting in to the realm of Greek bouzouki (which is different from the Irish in both construction, tuning and playing style) and have been scouring the 'Net looking for any indication that anyone has explored CF bouzouki making. The closest I've come is a video but no sources on a baglama, which I think is a smaller, higher voiced type of bouzouki.

Anyone have any intell?

Thanks,

Yohannah
Old 06-03-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yohannah View Post
I have a Composite Acoustic that I love, others have come through my collection. I'm now considering enerting in to the realm of Greek bouzouki (which is different from the Irish in both construction, tuning and playing style) and have been scouring the 'Net looking for any indication that anyone has explored CF bouzouki making. The closest I've come is a video but no sources on a baglama, which I think is a smaller, higher voiced type of bouzouki.

Anyone have any intell?

Thanks,

Yohannah
There are/were 100% carbon fiber bağlamas in İstanbul. I played a couple that were early models in a shop called Naturel Müzik (http://www.naturelmuzik.com). The owner of the shop lived in the States for some time. I never met the actual builder, but the bağlamas were of different lengths and were not at all refined and perfect like you see with Emerald's guitars, more unfinished and natural looking. Sounded fine, played fine though.

Since players there are HIGHLY traditional when it comes to these instruments, wanting only what their favorite players play or father played, wood is king and wood instruments are not that expensive, generally. I was told that the CF bağlamas would not be expensive for this reason either since there wasn't much of a market.

I had a chance to visit some years later and did not see them there at that time--maybe the builder gave up---I don't know. Humidity isn't a huge issue there as it's like 45-60% most of the time. CF doesn't make a lot of sense till you get to the southeast desert areas.

You could look up and contact Naturel Müzik and see if they had any or could direct you to the builder to see if he could make something for you. I'm guessing if they still exist, they'd be less than $200 . . . a steal even if they don't have that perfect polish, etc. At least one person in that shop has great English.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:11 PM

Thank you, ac, for your quick reply.

I live in a place where humidity vacillates pretty extremely from season to season. During the winter I run humidifiers for the instruments, but that bouzouki round back just seems to be something that would be amazing with CF and possibly a disaster waiting to happen in a dry climate.

What got me to thinking about it was a maker with a model that clearly pings off of an Ovation soundboard design. Very non-traditional, but the Ovation lover in me just likes it a lot, hahahaa.

I’m not at the “seriously shopping” stage. I need to think through three vs. four courses and playing styles. I’m definitely more interested in the larger bouzouki than the baglama. I just think it would be amazing to have one with a CF back.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:22 PM

There are several sizes of baglamas and likely something close to what you are looking for.

I've seen a good number of the bowl backs that have cracked, split, or had holes in them . . . a bit fragile but gorgeous looking. Carbon fiber is the way to go, IMO. Whoever the builder was for the ones I saw, they could make them to any spec, I think. Since their essentially no relief--it's just getting the neck and the body in a straight line--there are less problems in getting angles "just right". Add as many or as few pegs or other type of mechanical tuning gear (not popular except for professionals), and you've got it.

This type of instrument is so common all the way from western China to the Atlantic--all with slight variations--so if you really want one in CF, I'm guessing it can be done.

Good luck.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:05 PM

i have been playing greek bouzoukis for over 15yrs. there were some halfhearted attempts to use lyracord back in the day which were disasters.i live in nyc never had a problem with cracks on the bowl and when they do occur they are usually very easy fixes. I have not seen any zouks made with cf. this is due primarily to the fact most are not factory made instruments, With the exception of matsikas. The luthiers who build these are very old world and their craft is with wood. If you are looking for a good sounding quality bouzouki you will ultimately not find one of cf which will work for you. if you insist on a c.f bowl it will ultimately be a one off and will be a hard find
best wishes
Old 06-06-2016, 05:55 PM

Thank you, Zovanou. What made the lyracord attempts disasters? Ovation had such great success with lyracord in the early days.

I do realize it's an old world instrument and very traditional. Do you recommend any particular luthiers? It cracked me up to see a bouzouki that so resembled an Ovation, making it very non-traditional.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

You might try contacting Alistair at Emerald guitars in Ireland. He seems to relish custom designs!

Best wishes in finding the instrument that surpasses your wildest dreams!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber