The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-28-2015, 10:22 AM

Default Case color change

I know this has been discussed before, but I'll be darned if I can find the thread now.

When I purchased my Martin 000X1 a couple of months back it came with a HSC. The case that came with it says it is a RTKL, 3-ply, 12C0012 000 - X-Hippie case. As you may know the color is "different". It's not TOO bad with the case closed, but open that case and

I'm wondering if there is a way to change colors to something that doesn't hurt my eyes. Anyone know/recommend a spray or sponged-on dye that I can use that will not screw up the guitar or the case?
Old 01-28-2015, 10:31 AM

WOW..................

I've tried various finishes on guitar cabs which should be similar and found nothing that sticks. Decent new cases can be had for around $100 and I see used cases on CL for half that.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm Williams View Post
WOW..................

I've tried various finishes on guitar cabs which should be similar and found nothing that sticks. Decent new cases can be had for around $100 and I see used cases on CL for half that.
I was sort of hoping to avoid that, but that may be the only option.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:10 PM

Unless you want the color to transfer to your guitar, I would advise you to not try to color the lining.
Believe it or not, there are some who think those colors are just fine. In that light, I would just sell it or trade it for one with more boring colors.
BTW, black cases are the most popular, but a light-colored exterior is cooler if the sun shines on it.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Unless you want the color to transfer to your guitar, I would advise you to not try to color the lining.
Believe it or not, there are some who think those colors are just fine. In that light, I would just sell it or trade it for one with more boring colors.
BTW, black cases are the most popular, but a light-colored exterior is cooler if the sun shines on it.
I can deal with the lining. It stays closed most of the time. But, I sure don't like that yellow exterior and when the case is open,
Old 01-28-2015, 05:12 PM

if you go camo, nobody will even know it's there...
Old 01-28-2015, 05:33 PM

Wow - was that case made for Martin's new Ronald McDonald signature OM-28?

Seriously though, it's certainly different and I'd probably keep it because it's weird and funky and kind of retro-cool.

If I didn't like it, I'd sell it privately and pick up a black Martin case to replace it.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited by RoosterX; 01-28-2015 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
I can deal with the lining. It stays closed most of the time. But, I sure don't like that yellow exterior
I'm not sure what that case is covered with but if you turn to automotive finishes, there are many brands of finish designed to adhere to vinyl and plastics. I have changed the color of interior parts both hard and soft with great results. Sem offers many adhesion promoters and color options for several different industries. http://www.semproducts.com/

I forgot to mention, it sort of looks tweed and I like that.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:30 PM

Location: Darwin, Australia, 12.5 degrees south of the equator

Like Joe said, you can get spray cans made for vinyl, I have used them on motorcycle seats and it is pretty good (sticks well) it will abrade off but is fairly tough. If you were just around the corner I would just buy the case off you, looks great and I don't like a black cases for the reason John pointed out.
If I chose car racing instead.
Jim Schofield
Old 01-28-2015, 10:26 PM

My suggestion? Cover it with stickers!
Old 01-29-2015, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

I like it! But, if I didn't, I'd try to sell or trade it for one I liked rather than try to paint it, but at the end of the day, it's just a case. It'll probably fade in time and with exposure to sunlight.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:58 AM

Why not just sell it to one of the many x-hippies on this forum? It would go perfectly with their Vanagon.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe white View Post
I'm not sure what that case is covered with but if you turn to automotive finishes, there are many brands of finish designed to adhere to vinyl and plastics. I have changed the color of interior parts both hard and soft with great results. Sem offers many adhesion promoters and color options for several different industries. http://www.semproducts.com/

I forgot to mention, it sort of looks tweed and I like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.S View Post
Like Joe said, you can get spray cans made for vinyl, I have used them on motorcycle seats and it is pretty good (sticks well) it will abrade off but is fairly tough. If you were just around the corner I would just buy the case off you, looks great and I don't like a black cases for the reason John pointed out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjp View Post
My suggestion? Cover it with stickers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
I like it! But, if I didn't, I'd try to sell or trade it for one I liked rather than try to paint it, but at the end of the day, it's just a case. It'll probably fade in time and with exposure to sunlight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick guard View Post
Why not just sell it to one of the many x-hippies on this forum? It would go perfectly with their Vanagon.
Thanks for the suggestions. In regards to the paints: Has anyone tried this? I was headed this way but thought I'd check with TKL. They advise against it because it might affect the guitar's finish. Well, it doesn't HAVE a finish. It's a Martin 000X1. Top is natural spruce with HPL B/S and a StratoBond neck. So, what could there be to affect? Just bouncing out some thoughts.

As far as stickers... I'm thinking (depending on the color patterns of the stickers), it could make things worse.

Any X-hippies want to buy this thing?
Old 01-29-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Top is natural spruce
The top does have a sealer on it.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Not worth it, too risky and will likely not come out as well as might be hoped.

Sell the case for $50

Buy a brand new case from MF for $80

For $30 and zero time and effort you get a black on black case.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair