The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-25-2010, 12:17 AM

Default Is a CA Cargo Guitar Worth Keeping?

Hello everyone,
I'm new to this site, really enjoy your comments and I'm learning alot from you all.
I have a CA Cargo Guitar (Raw) which I got about 6 months ago before Composite Acoustics went out of business. I enjoy the sound and tone especially for a small body guitar, but for what ever reason I'm not really connecting with it as compare to a nice wooden one. I'm considering turning it in or selling it to help finance another guitar. I'm considering a Martin 000 or Taylor GC or a higher end Koa model. I already have a Taylor GA 7 and 414 LTD ce which I love playing.
My Question: Since the CA Cargo is not longer made, I was wondering whether it's worth keeping? Not sure whether it would eventually become a collector's item. I know Peavy has brought the company and be may be producing more carbon fiber guitars later. I don't want to get rid of it and have regrets later. Any thoughts on this?
Old 08-25-2010, 12:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymaki View Post
I don't want to get rid of it and have regrets later. Any thoughts on this?
Regret that you could have sold it for a lot more money if you kept it a while? I doubt that a significant increase in price will ever happen. If you are not connecting with it and don't see any real use for it as a travel or knock around guitar you might as well get rid of it.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-25-2010, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymaki View Post
but for what ever reason I'm not really connecting with it as compare to a nice wooden one.
That thought ran through my mind recently... Had a CA OX Raw, and didn't play guitar at all for nearly nine months. Traded it in last week for a Taylor GC4 that I just received this week. I guess there's something about genuine wood that makes me actually play and cherish a quality guitar made out of it.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:35 AM

Thanks for the comments. The Cargo does have it's own positives too, but I definitely hear what you're saying about genuine wood, can't beat it. Tough decision. You got a great guitar in the GC 4. Hope you're enjoying it.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

There are a lot of uses for the Cargo, one of which is making music. When camping, use it to cook food in or eat food out of (or both). Defend yourself against predators, both when camping and when playing a gig in a rough place. Play baseball or cricket or even croquet with it. Hammer nails with it or paddle a canoe with it. Instead of water balloons, through Cargos at passing cars and people from the third floor. These things are quite versatile.

Tony
Old 08-25-2010, 06:01 AM

The Cargo is one of the most popular CA's and on ebay they always sell. I think you can sell it with no problem and in this market that is saying something. Will it be a collector, no I don't think so. The Cargo was CA most popular model before they went under, I guarantee you the Peavey will have this model out there as soon as they get going with production. Your risk is they could improve it and with their volume actually might come in at a better price point. If you need the cash to move up to a full size wood guitar, I would do it.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 08-25-2010, 06:02 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I loved mine, loved the tone, loved the playability. The 22.5 scale made me unable to play long scale! I kept missing (worse than usual).
It will only go up a bunch in value if they quit harvesting Carbon Fiber
Old 08-25-2010, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Carbon fiber is already on the endangered species list along with Superman and Krypton.

Tony
Old 08-25-2010, 08:42 AM

Here is a quote from Tarpman on the thread talking about Peavey buying CA.

"I spoke to the Peavey rep handling the CA account and I was told they will offer all models, prices will remain the same "for now", and as for finishes we will see high gloss first than RT. (no decision on a RAW finish yet) "

Note that they will start with the high gloss finish, than the RT and may or may not offer the raw finish. The high gloss finish added a great deal to the cost and the RT a fair amount. So, a raw Cargo will probably be considered quite the bargain if Peavey isn't offering the raw finish. (In other words, your Cargo might be very affordable compared to the early offerings and will probably be very easy to sell.)

Personally, I'd suggest holding onto it, though. A near-indestructible travel guitar is pretty valuable in my book.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:50 AM

Default Raw Cargo ...

If you still have the Cargo and are not into it, you should sell it to somebody (me) who would appreciate it for what it is ( the perfect travel guitar ).
Seriously, I am looking for a Cargo and would love to get one in the raw finish... How much would you want for it?
Cheers,
Rick

[email protected]
Old 10-03-2010, 05:57 AM

It's the best travel guitar I've tried. Big sound but small enough to fit in a packed car for family vacations.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:09 AM

FWIW... I bought a Cargo, I liked it a lot, especially how much sound you could get out of it. But we never bonded and I took it back. 30 or so days later CA went out of business. I questioned my decision for a moment and decided if we didnt bond... So long Cargo!
Old 10-03-2010, 08:03 AM

yep. i never bonded either. just not a guitar sound. they will never increase in money
Old 10-03-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmonsh View Post
yep. i never bonded either. just not a guitar sound that I could find a use for. they will never increase in money
There. Corrected that for you. Just thought you should be aware that the fault certainly doesn't lie with the Cargo.

I don't use mine too often, but I haven't sold it because an indestructible travel guitar that can be left in the car without worry, regardless of weather, is a unique an functional item that also happens to be able to make music commensurate with the abilities of the musician using it.

If, however, I needed or wanted something that had a greater perceived value, it would be a mo brainier to sell, specifically because they are so consistently salable.

Collings OM2Hss -- Collings 0001A -- '79 Guild F30 -- Waterloo WL-14L
'37 National Rosita "Eurydice" -- NRP Radiotone Bendaway "Kokopelli" -- NRP Collegian
Old 10-03-2010, 09:44 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
The Cargo is one of the most popular CA's and on ebay they always sell. I think you can sell it with no problem and in this market that is saying something. Will it be a collector, no I don't think so. The Cargo was CA most popular model before they went under, I guarantee you the Peavey will have this model out there as soon as they get going with production. Your risk is they could improve it and with their volume actually might come in at a better price point. If you need the cash to move up to a full size wood guitar, I would do it.
I agree. I own two CAs including a Cargo, and since I got it in March 2008, I play it more than any of my guitars. Why? It's the perfect couch guitar and I leave it there which always encourages me to just reach out and play it. Of course, it's probably the least best sounding of my guits, but for what it is, it sounds so good that it doesn't matter when most of the time I'm just noddling around. I tarvel with mine from time-to-time and in a couple of years I'll be retired and RVing. I could bring my CA GXi, but most likely the Cargo will be with me -- strapped to the Harley -- hiking -- campfires -- backup boat paddle. Mine's a keeper. I hear you and you obviously feel differently, so you should sell yours.

Edit: My son plays guitar. He has a Godin Norman B20 acoustic and a Fender Strat. He plays the Strat a lot in his room, but spends a lot of time in the living room and very often picks-up the Cargo. I'd say he probably plays the Cargo most. I do believe he likes it a lot.

Last edited by Acousticado; 10-03-2010 at 10:33 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber