The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-16-2007, 05:22 AM

Default Direct miking through a Womanizer pedal

Hey all! I was trying some experiments in using my SM57 to mike my 310 and came up with this combination.

SM57-->womanizer-->slight reverb--->computer.

see how this sounds to you

Comments accepted....

My other passion
Old 07-16-2007, 11:14 AM
"Big Daddy"

Hey Paul, That sounded pretty cool, it sounded like you had a very slight distortion in the effects. Had a nice velvety sound. Good Job!
Old 07-16-2007, 03:03 PM

Nice--but what, pray tell, is a Womanizer pedal? No estrogen involved, I hope!

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:22 PM

Hey Sandy!

No...a womanizer is a pedal designed to give a "woman" tone for electric guitar but I found if the thing works decent as a preamp if the compression is backed off.

TNuT

My other passion
Old 07-16-2007, 06:51 PM

I saw some kid demoing the Demonizer and man can that thing sing. Metal chuga chuga to shred. Didn't stay long enough for the Womanizer.

I'd like to try one at home with my gear but they're quite expensive.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Nice. But it seems like you're trying to make a good sounding acoustic guitar through a good microphone sound like an amplified guitar with a pickup.

The playing is great. Seems a little harsh sounding to me, though. But I have a thing with piezo pickups. They grate on my nerves. And that's starting to sound a little piezo like.

Feel free to ignore me though.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:38 AM

Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Seems a little harsh sounding to me, though. But I have a thing with piezo pickups. They grate on my nerves. And that's starting to sound a little piezo like.

Feel free to ignore me though.
Naw...I won't ignore you! I am trying to nail down this recording thing witht the equipment I have right now...I may end up having to go to condenser mics but Christmas is a ways off. I already reached my wife's tolerance level this year on purchases

I need to mess with it some more. I have a couple of other samples on Soundclick with different set ups if you care to listen...

My other passion
Old 07-17-2007, 11:09 AM

Post Gotta agree with Marshall

While an SM-57 (Standard or Beta) is not the greatest mike for recording acoustic guitar, it is still capable of producing an acceptable sound without processing or distorting the signal. Condenser mikes would. of course, be a better choice, using any effects through the mixer rather than miking an amp. The best solution is a pup mounted internally, such as the K&K Pure Western Mini or a Baggs I-Beam. Keep the signal path simple and add any effects to the acoustic guitar through the effects buss on your mixer. Remember, this is an ACOUSTIC guitar, not a Les Paul, Strat or what have you, so make sure it sounds ACOUSTIC!

1969 Martin D-41
1988 Martin D-12-28
(Both equipped with K&K Pure Western Mini)
2007 Martin OMC AURA
1925 Orignal Washburn Parlor Guitar restored by Jim Craig of Hogeye Music, Evanston IL
2009 Rick Turner Reniassance 5 String Fretless Bass
2008 Michael Kelly Dragon Fly 5 String Frettless Bass
Original 1970 Sho-Bud All Maple Pedal Steel Guitar
Old 07-18-2007, 05:29 AM

Default More questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle dizzy 60 View Post
While an SM-57 (Standard or Beta) is not the greatest mike for recording acoustic guitar, it is still capable of producing an acceptable sound without processing or distorting the signal. Condenser mikes would. of course, be a better choice, using any effects through the mixer rather than miking an amp. The best solution is a pup mounted internally, such as the K&K Pure Western Mini or a Baggs I-Beam. Keep the signal path simple and add any effects to the acoustic guitar through the effects buss on your mixer. Remember, this is an ACOUSTIC guitar, not a Les Paul, Strat or what have you, so make sure it sounds ACOUSTIC!
Thanks for the response. I have a K&K Pure Western in my 310 already but wasn't really thrilled with the sound through my preamp DI. Any tips?

TNuT

My other passion

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell