The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-15-2007, 05:10 PM

Default song topics

hey guys i was bored one day and decided to start writing my own songs. i wrote one and discovered that its really fun to write songs. but i ran into a problem, i cant think of anything to write about. any help? if yall could just splurt out some topics that would probly spark something in my head and i could keep writing in my spare time because i enjoy it. then once i get i my guitar for my birthday, put 2 and 2 together and hey you never know u may hear me on ur radio soon! haha jk but i need ideas! thanks for ur help!
Old 07-15-2007, 08:02 PM
"Big Daddy"

Feelings and personal experiences are usually a pretty good inspiration for writing songs. Give that a try.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:24 PM

Take a look at Mark Knopfler's Shangri-La for some examples that anything can be the subject of a song.

He has a song about Ray Kroc and the beginning of McDonald's, a song about Sonny Liston and another song about a fisherman and his boat.

Jim
Old 07-15-2007, 10:17 PM

Go to your parent's or grandparent's house and ask to look through their photo albums. Every person in those pictures is a song. Every person you've ever known is a song. Everything you've ever done. Every place you've gone. Everything you've experienced.........You've already got all the material you will ever need. Picnics, arguments, jobs, schools, women, men, bums, heroes, villians, winners, losers, lovers, cheaters. Don't waste time looking for something that you think is incredible. You're own experiences are incredible and worthy of a song. All you have to do is start writing.

The Missouripicker's YouTube Channel
URL:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMissouripicker

Gibson J100 Walnut, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Dove, Gibson J45TV, Gibson AJ RW, Gibson AJ Koa, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Gibson J15, Martin HD28, Alvarez MFA66SHB and many other guitars, banjos, mandolins, dobros, dulcimers, and strays.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:44 AM

Write about what you know; things you like or dislike. Hard to go wrong using knowledge and emotion as a springboard to your songwriting.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 07-16-2007, 06:36 AM

My pal is a wonderful lyricist....and shared with me her method of songwriting...

She has a "theme" of sorts, grabs an A4 sheet of paper and has a brainstorm, writing paragraphs of stuff about the subject, how she feels about it...sometimes she'll write a short story about someone or something...

An issue from the heart can be a good source, although the imagination can come into play too...

Then she starts to "refine" the writing, grabbing a Thesaurus, trying to condense key elements into poetic structure, which then in turn, can be put to music.

I got top grades in English and STILL find that difficult to do!
Old 07-16-2007, 07:20 AM

Cant come up with topics? Thats the easy part. GO to the cemetery and read the headstones. Make up a story about the names you see, how they lived and died. Or draw off your personal experience. Draw off others stories and modify them enough so they are original. Write the 1st idea that pops into your mind and expand on it. Randomly point in the dictionary for a starting word and expand from there.

The possibilities are endless.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:21 AM
"Big Daddy"

Lot's of good ideas for subject matter. Let us know what you end up doing!
Old 07-16-2007, 11:46 AM

I just saw Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny and now I'm fully convinced you can write a song about ANYTHING.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

There are some great books on lyric writing. I suggest getting one or more and read up on the process.

Most successful writers carry a notebook around to jot down ideas. Or you can type them into computer docs. (I keep an "ideas" folder on my computer. Anytime I see something; like on a forum; I cut and paste it into a doc and save it.)

Once while walking through and airport, I noticed how many people were wearing headphones. And in the middle of all the crowded hub-bub, they seemed oblivious to what was going on around them. Like being in a world all their own. I wrote down; "headphones" in my notebook. Out of that experience/realization/idea, came a song titled (what else?); "Headphones."

(The quote below is from that song)
Old 07-16-2007, 01:25 PM

How about Iraq? You could become a protest singer... just like Dylan.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:52 PM
happiness

You could write about things you feel strongly about - things that you love or things that really annoy you. Things that have hurt you - but if it's too painful write it as if it's happening to someone else. Things you dream about, things you'd love to do one day. Your holidays (sorry, should that be "vacations"?) Your pets. Your guitar. Tidying your room. Doing the ironing. Your job. A night out with your friends. Someone's wedding. Things you collect. Things someone you know collects. Your favourite place. Your least favourite place. Places you've never been but would like to. Doing the food shopping. Food. Drink. TV shows. Celebrities. Your shoes. The furniture. Snails. Trees. A love story. A humourous love story. Your computer. This forum.

Is any of that any help?

Fliss
Old 07-16-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliss View Post
You could write about things you feel strongly about -

.......Snails

Is any of that any help?

Fliss

Fliss................

GIRRRLLL, you CRACK me up!!!!!!! Best laugh I've had all week!!

Of course, the post you wrote in the proper unedited context is absolutely correct.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:59 PM
happiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishmannah View Post

Fliss................

GIRRRLLL, you CRACK me up!!!!!!! Best laugh I've had all week!!

Of course, the post you wrote in the proper unedited context is absolutely correct.
Glad to be of service! And I didn't even mention chocolate - or, for that matter, waffles whether with cream or maple syrup....

I'm going to go and writea song about waffles...

Fliss
Old 07-16-2007, 02:00 PM

Repeat after me:

"I woke up this morning...."(fill in the rest)

Alot of songs start with this.

Acoustic Guitars:
2006 Taylor 314ce Fleur de lis
Samick "slammer" (my first love)

Acoustic Amplifiers:
Fender Acoustasonic SFXII

.......Got my rider by my side

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell