The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-14-2012, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Default Repair Book

What would you recommend as the best acoustic guitar repair instruction book for the DIY player with some woodworking skills?
Thanks

Old 08-14-2012, 04:10 PM

Hey Brad. I just pulled a couple of my books of the shelf. I can't say whether they're the best or not but:

* Guitar Player Repair Guide 3rd Edition - Dan Erlewine (great all around book, moreso for includes electrics)
* The Acoustic Guitar Handbook, how to buy, maintain, set up, troubleshoot, and repair your guitar - Paul Balmer.

These are both available at Amazon so you can have a closer look.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Dru. I will check them out. Brad

Old 08-14-2012, 05:23 PM

The best that I've seen are two by Don Teeter. Not sure if they are still published. One by Hideo Kamimoto also quite good.
Tom
Old 08-15-2012, 09:34 AM

Not a book, but an on-line encyclopedia of guitar how-to's and construction knowledge, including tools, procedures, and case histories: Frank Ford's FRETS.com http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/pagelist.html

FRETS.com has been around for a long time and has been a treasure trove for many of us weekend tinkerers.

And be sure to check out Frank's FRETS.net (http://fretsnet.ning.com/), a forum for builders and repairers, professional and wanna be, like me.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:45 AM

I've also got Erlewine's book and it does have good, well organized advice. As Dru had mentioned though, it's got a lot of electric content and I'd say more so than acoustic.

Frankly, between general searches on the internet and in particular, the good people on this Build and Repair subforum, I hardly ever open that book anymore.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

I found the Erlewine and Balmer books used on Amazon for less than $10 for both, so at that price I ordered them. The frets.com web site is great also. Thanks for the heads up. Of course the combined knowledge of the fine members of AGF have been a lot of help. On that subject, I am going to build a replacement bridge with some rosewood I have. Any advice or things to look out for? I do plan on making it overall about 1/8" larger to cover the old footprint. Getting rid of the saddle box and screws also. How about which glue to use? I have tightbond and liquid hide glue. I will be putting a new bridge plate on also. I am concerned about the old bridge pin holes in the top. Plug and sand them too?

Old 08-15-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
I am going to build a replacement bridge with some rosewood I have. Any advice or things to look out for? I do plan on making it overall about 1/8" larger to cover the old footprint. Getting rid of the saddle box and screws also. How about which glue to use? I have tightbond and liquid hide glue. I will be putting a new bridge plate on also. I am concerned about the old bridge pin holes in the top. Plug and sand them too?
I use Frank's Glue Chart as a good baseline when it comes to glues:

This is part of his section on Glues from FRETS.com (referenced earlier): http://frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/.../hideglue.html

He also has a section of Bridges, including this step-by-step on making a new one: http://frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/...018bridge.html

Hope this is helpful - please post some snapshots when done!
Old 08-15-2012, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

I have one by Irving Sloane printed in 1973. There are newer editions here
http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Repair-...+repair+sloane

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-15-2012, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

thanks Misty. I found all the info very helpful. The glue chart is printed out and on a wall in my shop now.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom West View Post
The best that I've seen are two by Don Teeter. Not sure if they are still published. One by Hideo Kamimoto also quite good.
Tom
+2 Just about every tool stewmac sells Teeter shows how to build, plus excellent techniques.

EDIT - And yes you can still find them for sale.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair