The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-24-2021, 08:52 AM

Default First time changing strings on classical guitar

I think I viewed about 4 hours of videos on how to change classical guitar strings. Seems like everyone has slight variations including which end of the wound strings to use where.

I found this website of Douglas Niedt had the most in depth information. I used his detailed information to perform my first string change which took a few hours as I went slowly and kept referring back to the videos.

I think the strings on my 2016 Amalio Burguet Vanessa had never been changed as they were so neatly done like I've experienced with factory installed strings. All is well that ends well!
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 08-24-2021, 09:07 AM
Guest 928

Birdman;

Good for you. I remember being baffled by the string tie art, but once I got the hang of it I found it enjoyable. It's also important in that the widest range of nylon strings are designed to be tied. If you have the time and inclination I would like to see a photo of your string art.
Old 08-24-2021, 11:37 AM

I had a heck of a hard time getting used to it myself. The bridge ties took a while to get the hang of, but were straight forward on how to do. The ties at the tuners took me half a dozen tries (over the course of a year+) to start doing it without reviewing a tutorial first. Not to mentioned there's multiple ways to do it. Took me a while to find what way I wanted to do it, and what actually got me to a point of not having to think is...

I mocked up an oversized tuner out of a cardboard tube (left over from old toilet paper) and twine. Poked a hole through the tube, fed the twine through it, and tied it over and over and over and over and over from both left and right sides. A couple hours of that, and I haven't had an issue since. I kind of wish this was a drill teachers make students do, because 2 hours of drilling it on Week 1 will save a lot of hours down the line. I mean, most of us only change strings every 2-3 months, some only a couple times a year, so one only gets practice several times a year, and never repeatedly in any one sitting (well, I guess they get six repetitions each time).

I'd also love to see your fine string art :-)
Old 08-24-2021, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

You will be down to 10 minutes before long. Does take some time for the nylon strings to settle into a steady pitch.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-24-2021, 11:54 AM

First time changes are daunting.

I've done this many times, yet, I dread the whole thought of it when it's time, like right now..

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 08-24-2021, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btbliatout View Post
I had a heck of a hard time getting used to it myself. The bridge ties took a while to get the hang of, but were straight forward on how to do. The ties at the tuners took me half a dozen tries (over the course of a year+) to start doing it without reviewing a tutorial first. Not to mentioned there's multiple ways to do it. Took me a while to find what way I wanted to do it, and what actually got me to a point of not having to think is...

I mocked up an oversized tuner out of a cardboard tube (left over from old toilet paper) and twine. Poked a hole through the tube, fed the twine through it, and tied it over and over and over and over and over from both left and right sides. A couple hours of that, and I haven't had an issue since. I kind of wish this was a drill teachers make students do, because 2 hours of drilling it on Week 1 will save a lot of hours down the line. I mean, most of us only change strings every 2-3 months, some only a couple times a year, so one only gets practice several times a year, and never repeatedly in any one sitting (well, I guess they get six repetitions each time).

Awesome post!!!! I love the memory training you went through, hats off to u. i kept trying to act like a boy scout when i first went through that at 12 yrs old. even now at 53 still takes me an hour or so to do it OCD proper...still takes a day or 2 for the 3 nylons to settle... i found silk ones even longer to settle in. LOVE YOUR POST

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 08-24-2021, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
You will be down to 10 minutes before long. Does take some time for the nylon strings to settle into a steady pitch.
I noticed that. Even after hand stretching them multiple times last night, all were out of tune by a semitone or more. I was hoping there was a magic stretch out there.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Timberline T60HGpc
SunnAudio MS-2
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 08-24-2021, 06:19 PM

As requested.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mj2R94]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mjazG8]
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Timberline T60HGpc
SunnAudio MS-2
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488

Last edited by tbirdman; 08-24-2021 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-24-2021, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btbliatout View Post

I change my steel strings about once a month and I still look at the video sometimes. Actually got those down pretty well following the video at Justinguitar.com.

I think I have it down fairly well. The tuning pegs is which way to you make the knot to ensure the 1st and 6th string wrap around to the outside while the rest of the strings wrap to the inside. again I'm just following the recommended method from the website that I posted. Interesting is the guy didn't like the string tails to be captured by the next strings bridge tie.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Timberline T60HGpc
SunnAudio MS-2
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 08-24-2021, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

I'm not a classical player, yet I have a Cordoba C5 that I play around with from time to time. I bought those tie blocks which makes the tie off at the bridge a non-problem.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-22-2021, 05:55 PM

Two reccomendations I have for changing nylon strings are:
1) Get a plank poster cardboard from the local dollar store and cut out a protective shape that fits around the bridge. If a string snaps your delicate top will be protected. I learned the hard way.

2) After putting new string on, I use my phone app to tune. This particular app shows the frequency of the string as it is being tightened. I avoid over tensioning the strings in this way. The frequencies for normal tuning are:
Low E 82 Hz
Low A 110 Hz
D 146 Hz
G 196 Hz
B 247 Hz
High E 329 Hz

For drop D tuning, tune low E down to 73.Hz.
Yamaha FGX-830C
Old 09-22-2021, 07:53 PM
Guest 928

Tbird;

Nice job--clean and neat. I tried the tie blocks but found I didn't like the look and the normal string tie is fast enough for me.

Nylons always take a while to settle in. Part of that time is due to the strings, the wood also moves and necessitates retuning. I've found that carbon fiber and Ekoa guitars require a lot less tuning.

Thanks for the pictures.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapido Eduwardo View Post
Two reccomendations I have for changing nylon strings are:
1) Get a plank poster cardboard from the local dollar store and cut out a protective shape that fits around the bridge. If a string snaps your delicate top will be protected. I learned the hard way.

2) After putting new string on, I use my phone app to tune. This particular app shows the frequency of the string as it is being tightened. I avoid over tensioning the strings in this way. The frequencies for normal tuning are:
Low E 82 Hz
Low A 110 Hz
D 146 Hz
G 196 Hz
B 247 Hz
High E 329 Hz

For drop D tuning, tune low E down to 73.Hz.
I've only broke one string by over tuning on my steel string guitar. I should had known as the tuning peg was getting hard to turn. Ah, dummy, maybe you should back off. LOL

However I always wonder if they make tuners that attached to the headstock with frequencies displayed. That would be a great first time after string change addition. Of course using an app works as well I suppose.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Timberline T60HGpc
SunnAudio MS-2
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 09-23-2021, 08:44 AM

Now the question is how often will I change the strings. I change my steel guitar strings about once a month. I play both the steel and nylon string each daily and most of the time twice daily.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Timberline T60HGpc
SunnAudio MS-2
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 09-23-2021, 09:11 AM

There are different ways, but there is NO QUESTION about which edge ties to the bridge. It. should NEVER be the end of the string with looser, fewer winds.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical