The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 08-17-2021, 05:39 PM
Guest 33123

I don't like some of her tunes but this I did enjoy, which is weird because I'm not a big fan of the Fahey school of playing.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:12 PM

I just found some more of her music on YouTube. It's sooo cool! Besides I like American Primitive guitar music. I get tired of having to just doing kumbaya chording in the church band, and while I like some folk, Americana, and bluegrass, I also get bored with them on occasion.

For people like myself and Gwenifer, who come from a heavy music background (me, I played in rock bands as a lead guitarist, playing music that was of the heavier variety [not always metal, but the very least, hard driving], Gwenifer played in punk, & grunge bands), being able to rage on acoustic guitar is like a breath of fresh air. The big difference, is that nowadays, women can get away with it more, than 20 or 30 years ago, when I was younger, and had to tone it down, when I played acoustic, to keep from being viewed as being a weirdo.

My Smile Makers:

Guild OM-120
Guild F-2512E Deluxe 12-string
Eastman E3DE
2013 Ibanez AFJ-95

Last edited by EllenGtrGrl; 08-18-2021 at 04:35 AM.
Old 08-18-2021, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenGtrGrl View Post
For people like myself and Gwenifer, who come from a heavy music background (me, I played in rock bands as a lead guitarist, playing music that was of the heavier variety [not always metal, but the very least, hard driving], Gwenifer played in punk, & grunge bands), being able to rage on acoustic guitar is like a breath of fresh air. The big difference, is that nowadays, women can get away with it more, than 20 or 30 years ago, when I was younger, and had to tone it down, when I played acoustic, to keep from being viewed as being a weirdo.
Ellen, you make a great and unfortunately relevant point. I say unfortunate because of the history that makes your statement authentic. I am deeply sorry for any societal limitations and impositions you have experienced on your very being. I can, though from an admittedly different perspective, relate. I do think things are changing now, and there is more space in society for various gender affiliations and other marginalized communities. In many ways, these upheavals are uncomfortable for many today but are eventually positive and hopefully will lead to a more open and tolerant tomorrow.

It would be interesting to see if there would have been some difference to how some folks respond to Gwenifer's music if she were more intentionally provocative, or demure, or were to adhere to other stereotypes typically assigned to women. Or, even, say, from a "normalcy" standpoint, if responses to her music would be different if she wasn't so carefree (I am so glad she is!) and willing to share her penchant for taxidermy, clowns and the macabre, or even if she didn't record her videos with those wide-eyed, heavily-kohled, stark and deadpan expressions. I personally find all of it quite charming. Just like Nathan Salsburg's gentleness is so bloody charming or Daniel Bachman's profound earnestness and his inclusion of the natural world into his music is charming.

She is a bright, creative, brave and beautiful human being; I have been listening to her music for a few years now and greatly appreciate her contributions. I will continue to look forward to all she will share with the world in the future. I find her use of dissonance to be remarkably musical and brave. She has taken that aspect of AP to a whole other level, and we can only thank her for this.

In some ways, she reminds me of Roscoe Holcomb. Not entirely the same, of course, but I think she shares some of his haunting aura. Besides, she has an energy that just demands attention. And I am happy to give her mine.

I am glad she has the courage to simply be her self and, as you imply in your signature -- just play the kind of music that puts a smile on her face and shines a light on her (wonderful) personality.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN