The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-06-2021, 08:42 AM

Default OK I want to start filing my own nuts

OK so I can do everything to setup my guitars EXCEPT for nuts, so I want to add that piece so I can finally do complete setups. Can someone recommend a good set of nut files that would make it easy for me? I normally use 11's or sometimes 12's, so what size files should I get? Would these be a good choice?

https://www.musicnomadcare.com/Produ...s/#prettyPhoto

The smallest they have though is .013" for the high E
Old 08-06-2021, 09:06 AM

A couple thousandths extra width for the slot is fine.

I'm going to pick up a set of the Music Nomad files when I get around to it. Sweetwater has them in stock.
Old 08-06-2021, 09:23 AM

The reviews I’ve read for them have been favorable. Initially it seems like there may have been issues with binding the abrasive dust, but it seems they sorted that out. A few people have commented on the handle making it hard to see the cutting edge.

I’ve got the old style Japanese nut files, the ones that look like short hack saw blades. Since the Music Nomad files cut both directions, just remember to go very easy on the filing, since you’re removing such a small amount of material.
Old 08-06-2021, 01:13 PM

More important than the file is an expendable set of feeler gauges. Usually can be found in a sale bin at auto parts stores. Make sure an appropriate width is in front of the nut on the fingerboard before you saw.

I have StewMac files which are not cheap but work well.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 08-07-2021 at 05:07 AM.
Old 08-06-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
More important than the file is an expendable set of feeler gauges. Usually can be found in a sale bin at auto parts store. Make sure an appropriate width is in front of the nut on the fingerboard before you saw.

I have StewMac files which are not cheap but work well.
Yes I already have feeler gauges. Thanks
Old 08-06-2021, 04:37 PM

I suggest OP purchase an X-acto saw, as fine a kerf as they make and a set of needle files, and learn to use those first. Also needed is some kind of vise to hold the nut while working on it.

The most important tools abide in the hands of the person using them. Learn to use the inexpensive tools first in order to develop some preferences for (maybe) fancy nut files later. Those expensive tools will only work as well as the person controlling them. Lots of fancy tools are sitting gathering dust. And the person selling them has a new boat. Expensive tools work only as well as the person using them, and cannot substitute for practice and experience.
Old 08-07-2021, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

I’ll go the other way and say you will do better learning with a set of proper tools. Stewmac and Philadelphia luthier sell good ones. Not cheap but they work great. In for a penny, in for a pound.
Old 08-07-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
I suggest OP purchase an X-acto saw, as fine a kerf as they make and a set of needle files, and learn to use those first. Also needed is some kind of vise to hold the nut while working on it.

The most important tools abide in the hands of the person using them. Learn to use the inexpensive tools first in order to develop some preferences for (maybe) fancy nut files later. Those expensive tools will only work as well as the person controlling them. Lots of fancy tools are sitting gathering dust. And the person selling them has a new boat. Expensive tools work only as well as the person using them, and cannot substitute for practice and experience.
Easy enough to make a "nut vise" to let you work off-instrument for slot cutting and refinement.

Old 08-08-2021, 10:41 AM

If you're setting up a guitar and just lowering the nut, not making one from scratch, is there anything wrong with knocking out the nut and sanding down the bottom on a shooting board?
Old 08-08-2021, 10:49 AM

Sometimes some strings are fine, some need lowering. Sanding the bottom lowers them all. Sometimes it will work sometimes not.
2004 Taylor 214
2011 Taylor GC4
1964 Fender Stratocaster
1965 Fender Jazz Bass
Fender Twin Reverb
Old 08-08-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Ham View Post
If you're setting up a guitar and just lowering the nut, not making one from scratch, is there anything wrong with knocking out the nut and sanding down the bottom on a shooting board?
That would only work if ALL the slots are too high and that is rarely the case.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Ham View Post
I had to do this on a replacement nut a few times to get the height close. Then some fine tuning was required on some [but not all] nut slots which still needed filing.
Old 08-09-2021, 09:26 AM

I guess I tend to not worry about it too much. My experience with factory guitars has been the nuts are cut with the proper radius. So removing a uniform (close to) amount from the bottom, if necessary, does it for me.

I'm not too picky about the slot being a few thou wider than the string, so I just use a tapered file. You can probably just buy the set that accomodates the heaviest gauge you play.

Getting some economical practice nuts might be a good idea
Old 08-09-2021, 09:42 AM

just to be clear....I'm not looking to make my own nuts from scratch..,just to file down nuts that are too high as part of the setup process.
Old 08-11-2021, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
just to be clear....I'm not looking to make my own nuts from scratch..,just to file down nuts that are too high as part of the setup process.
Jack, I'm considering getting a set when the price comes down a bit in the UK. I do make my own nuts and I do have two sets of nut files already. What I like about these is that the diamond cutting face goes up the side of the blade and the holder has a rounded plastic end. Standard nut files, like the StuMac ones, are notorious for getting stuck and they have sharp ends - just perfect for digging into the headstock when they become unstuck!!!! I've not had a go with the Music Nomad files but they do look like they are going to be easy to use and will cut quickly and smoothly.

They are expensive, but anything that lowers my blood pressure and stops me having to start yet another new nut from scratch because the cut has drifted would be worth it.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair