The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-01-2021, 10:33 AM

Default Renewing a Parlor

Hi my name is Elia, I'm italian and I'm new to the forum and also new to the world of instruments repairing.
A couple of weeks ago I bought and old german parlor on ebay becaused it seemed pretty good even though it had a few works to do.
So the guitar it's 88,5cm lenght, 30cm wide ( from the widest points) and 8 cm high; the neck and the headstock are made of beech, the fretboard should be rosewood or dark walnut, the back and the sides are made of poplar and the top SHOULD be in cypress wood but we haven't still figured it out.
As you may see from the photos I'll add the guitar back was partially unglued, but that's was the mayor problem.
As first thing I removed all the mechanics, brass made just like the saddle.
I've also chanched the bridge pins as one was broken so I've replaced them all with similar ones ( rosewood with abalone on top).
Then, after covering the fretboard and the bridge I've started sanding in with various paper from 80 to 120 to 160 and now the guitar It's paintless.
After that I've removed the back with a small spatula and the help from a heating gun.
After the back was removed I've noticed that two of the three braces were loose so I've decided to take all of them off and sand the inside too.
With the help of a friend we reglued the guitar braces and then the back. Since the guitar was very old probably the sides o the back lost a bit of shape so it had a bit of sides outside the lines but I've sanded them so Iit's smooth now.
Yesterday I wen't from a friend restore who add a lay of alcool witha bit of shellac to rise the grain, and then with a 1200 sand paper I've smooth it all.
So that's the last thing I've done becasue I would like to paint the guitar as usually old parlors are were made, I think. I would like to keep the top clear so that the grains can be seen, but the sides, the back and neck and headstock darker.
This is my idea:
I would do this with anilines water dye, as many hands it needs.After that they recommended me to add tp the guitar some straw yello oil and the with a help I would start the shellac finishing on the guitar.
That's my ideal plan.
If anyone has and suggestion,reccomendations or advices feel free to answer, as I'm willing to learn.
Also I bought for this guitar a set of John Pearse Folk strings (16-43), as I read that small bodied guitars need minor tension strings.
Many thanks and feel free to answer
Here there are the photos
https://imgur.com/a/7uCS6XT

Last edited by EliaNu; 09-02-2021 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-02-2021, 06:59 AM

You can upload your photos at a hosting site and use the direct links provided there to add photos here.

Imgur is popular here as a photo hosting site and is easy to use.
Old 09-02-2021, 07:22 AM

Done, many thanks
Old 09-02-2021, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Imgur link didn't work for me.
Old 09-02-2021, 09:57 AM

Ok now should work
Old 09-03-2021, 07:00 PM

When you click on your picture on the site, it comes up with a list of option (or you go to the "View and edit post" (Get share link, select Forums), click on the picture on the top right hand corner and it give a few to select from), copy the one that says, "BBCode (message boards & forums)" and then past it directly in your text here, you do not need to hit the picture button here.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair