The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-15-2009, 02:21 AM
Charter Member

+1 for Dr Z, I don't think the maz18 is what you are looking for if you want high gain, but there are several models that will do that. Check out http://www.drzamps.com/ there are forums devoted to each amp.
FWIW I have a house full of fender tweed and blackface amps but the Dr Z Maz18 w 2/10's is my favorite amp for my electric gigs. I do not use a lot of modern rock high gain sounds.
Glad you are liking the Deluxe.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zb0430 View Post
FWIW, when you get into a lot of these high end amplifiers with huge transformers, you're not going to find much under your weight range.
I Have to agree with ZB0430 on this one. Big tone typically will mean big iron and will be heavy. Matching a head with say a smaller 1x12 ported cabinet may be a good answer. Just means an extra trip to the car .

Here's a Mystik 1x12 cabinet I had built. Small footprint/big tone.

I know this isn't really helping you get that "matchbox 20" tone. But I've been in your shoes. And when expectations run high and price is no longer an object I would start some amp consultations

Best of luck on your quest for tone and make great music.

MF

Martin OMC-18 L. Juber
Kronbauer Ziricote/Spruce MJ Cutaway
Kronbauer EIR/Spruce Dread. Cutaway
Taylor '93 K12C Koa/Englemann
Taylor GC6es
Daedalus Cabinets/Taylor K4/D-Tar Solstice
Old 10-15-2009, 06:49 AM

I agree with all of the comments about weight. The only way to make it more manageable is to either go with a head/cab combo, or to go with a lower powered amp like a Bad Cat Cub 2 R or a Matchless Lightning.

How much power do you want/need?

What type of venues are you playing or is this for a living room or studio?

Generally I love Bad Cats and Two Rocks. They get you there in either British or American style respectively and both have (defeatable) master volumes that work great. They both have a range of power ratings and options.

If money is truly not object - find a Trainwreak (if you can).

I strongly suggest that you pose this question at The Gear Page - it is this place only electric. You also might want to check out Birds and Moons which is a PRS forum. Both forums see a lot of high end amp traffic.

Good Luck.

Chris
Old 10-15-2009, 07:53 AM

also try the alessandro range.

http://www.alessandro-products.com/main.html

i have one of his cheaper "working dog" amps (rottweiler 40 watts), and it is great at what you are looking for. also very light at 36 lbs

i also believe however that if you want portability, and moving heavy amps is a problem for you (as it is for me), it is easier to carry a head and a cabinet than a combo of similar weight..
Old 10-15-2009, 08:06 AM

I would first try to decide whether you want a British sound (Vox, Orange, /13, Valvetech, etc.) or a American Fender-ish voicing (Allen, Tone King, Bruno, etc.). That will narrow down your search considerably. I'm no expert on high-end amps, so I can't give you a specific recommendation, but I can list a bunch of builders that you can check out! Most of their sites have sound clips, so you can check out the different tones. Also, check out thegearpage.net; these guys know what they are talking about, and many of the builders post there as well.

Vox
Orange
Divided by 13
Pure 64
Valvetech
Fargen
Allen
Tone King
Bruno
Two Rock
Bad Cat
Carr
Quinn
Fuchs
Bogner
Matchless
Victoria
Rivera
Ceriatone
Carol-Ann
Germino
Dr. Z
Cornford

Or, you could just go big and get a Dumble or a Trainwreck!
Old 10-15-2009, 09:35 AM

this is the "HOLY GRAIL"!!!

Tone King Metropolitan

www.toneking.com

-43lbs
-0.1-40watts
-Power scaling that's more advanced than what you see on Suhr, Reinhardt, or Carr.
-Black Face clean to-early marshell gain
-Two channel with foot switch
-1x12" combo
-Owner builds them all by himself one at a time

***Only 3K but it will eat Carr mercury like Dorritos!

Last edited by songman; 10-15-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:37 AM

Old 10-15-2009, 09:57 AM

I don't know what "holy Grail" means at this point. One person's "Holy Grail" is another person's "Holy Trash". ALOT of very expensive and GREAT amp suggestions offered here but MANY of them are WAY PRICEY!!!!!

A new Heritage Series Vox AC15H1TV will do all that you ask is a FABULOUS platform for pedals and costs about 1/2 the price!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-15-2009, 10:20 AM

I think I'm getting a feel for your taste and expectations...

Sorry to offend anyone, but you can go ahead and cross Orange off your list... Doesn't belong with the other amps listed in the thread, IMHO...

In a perfect world, online clips would be useful. But this isn't a perfect world. I've heard some online clips doctored to the point of sounding way better than the actual amp, and others that had incompetent online clips that did absolutely nothing but hurt the amp's true character (Matchless clips, anyone?).

Don't always believe what you hear through samples, but some of them can give you a general idea. Others, not so much!
Old 10-15-2009, 10:23 AM

And FWIW...

I'm a bit uninspired by my friend's new Tone King... Maybe it will just take time to warm up to, but still... Sounds just like any other decent blackface clone, which I don't think is what you're looking for to nail Matchbox 20 and Creed tones, to say the least.

But if you're going for another blackface amp, it does sound good, I'll give it that.

I'm already curious to see what you get. I'm sure it will be an awesome amp!
Old 10-15-2009, 10:31 AM

here's some good tones...
http://davidbrayamps.com/soundclips.html
Old 10-15-2009, 11:46 AM

I agree with everyone else on this. A combo with those requirements are few and far between so I'm going to suggest Pure Sixty Four. Give the propietor a call, he's a very cool guy. Would probably make you a combo too if you asked. It has the classic 6L6 or 6V6 type tones in 20, 30, 50, 100 watt packages.

I haven't personally heard one but this guy is confident and some of TGP's reviews are stellar. It seems to fit the bill for you though in terms of an all-encompassing amp that takes pedals well. And it wouldn't hurt to talk shop with an amp builder.

http://puresixtyfour.com/
Old 10-15-2009, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

I've got three Goodsell amps, #four has been ordered. I've plugged into a lot of amps in a lot of rooms my life. The goodsells have been the best.

check out the sounds and artists.

www.goodsellamps.com
Old 10-15-2009, 12:39 PM

Anyone try a Matchless Lightning Reverb 1x12 combo or a Louis Electric KR12 1x12 combo?
Old 10-15-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zb0430 View Post
And FWIW...

I'm a bit uninspired by my friend's new Tone King... Maybe it will just take time to warm up to, but still... Sounds just like any other decent blackface clone, which I don't think is what you're looking for to nail Matchbox 20 and Creed tones, to say the least.

But if you're going for another blackface amp, it does sound good, I'll give it that.

I'm already curious to see what you get. I'm sure it will be an awesome amp!
What model Tone King did you friend have?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification