The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-15-2019, 07:36 PM

Default Parlor Opinions

Does anyone know the difference in the Alvarez MPA66 and the AP66? Also, how do they compare with the GS Mini? I have a koa and haven’t seen the Alvarez parlor around my area to compare, curious about tone and projection of the Alvarez.
Fender MIM Tele
Old 01-15-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor View Post
Does anyone know the difference in the Alvarez MPA66 and the AP66? Also, how do they compare with the GS Mini? I have a koa and haven’t seen the Alvarez parlor around my area to compare, curious about tone and projection of the Alvarez.
MP = Masterworks = All solid wood
AP = Artist Series = Solid Top, laminate sides.

I really hate that Alvarez calls this model a "Parlor" since they are a full size 00 instrument. In general, I like them quite a bit more than the GS Mini.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 01-15-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post

I really hate that Alvarez calls this model a "Parlor" since they are a full size 00 instrument.
Maybe it's for playing in your full-size parlor. It wasn't that long ago that parlor guitars were just called "guitars." And then some oaf shows up at a guitar pull with some home-made monstrosity that's like a McMansion among the Pasadena bungalows, and the gauntlet was thrown. Y'know, the Loudness War predates the record business by quite a bit.

Couch Standards
Old 01-15-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post

I really hate that Alvarez calls this model a "Parlor" since they are a full size 00 instrument. In general, I like them quite a bit more than the GS Mini.
Is there a set of dimensions that specifically defines what a parlor guitar is? Not being smart here. Just don't know.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:

There were none to try in my area but I ordered the Alvarez MPA66 from GC yesterday. Looking forward to its arrival.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:02 PM

Please report your thoughts when you get to play it.
Fender MIM Tele
Old 01-15-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
Is there a set of dimensions that specifically defines what a parlor guitar is? Not being smart here. Just don't know.
Parlor is essentially a Marketing Term. The first guitar I can think of that had the word Parlor in the model name was Matt Larrivee's "Larrivee Parlor" which came out in 1999 which was an 0 size.

Breedlove's Parlor is also an 0 size.

Pono makes both 0 and 1 sizes (I think they used to make a 2 or 2-1/2)

Alvarez's Parlor is a 00, and much bigger than anything else marketed as a Parlor size.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 01-16-2019, 01:13 AM

I have both an Alvarez "Parlour",and a G.S. Mini. As has been stated the Alvarez is larger than a true parlour, but not by so very much, its still compact and comfortable. In my opinion the Alvarez is much better than the Mini.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:02 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I'm sure you'll like the mpa66. I have the ap66 and it has none of that "boxy" sound many smaller guitars have.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-16-2019, 06:17 AM

I have 2 Alvarez 00s, an AP66 (Mahogany top) and an AP610ESBH (Sitka top). I love 00 size guitars. These both have good tone for laminate B/S guitars. I played an MP66 at GC once and thought the tone was better. Enjoy your new guitar.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Jim View Post
I have 2 Alvarez 00s, an AP66 (Mahogany top) and an AP610ESBH (Sitka top). I love 00 size guitars. These both have good tone for laminate B/S guitars. I played an MP66 at GC once and thought the tone was better. Enjoy your new guitar.
I recently traded my AP66SHB and kind of regret it. Sweet little guitar, and I have yet to play the AP70 which I think would have the brighter tone I prefer; I also wish Alvarez would use the double 'A' logo from the slot heads on all their guitars. It looks so much classier to me than the script.
Anyway, for me a 'parlour' guitar needs not only a small body, but a scale shorter than 24.75" to qualify.
I think this fits the bill:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHUJFSs-vcA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcEMKxnzYog
(not bad for a £250 cheapie!)
I also discovered that apparently Alvarez and Framus share the same design and features, most noticeably the distinctive pickguard. Same guitars, different badges?

Last edited by AndrewG; 01-16-2019 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
I have owned both and decided to keep the MPA66. It is lighter, more responsive, has a bit more note separation and isn't as boxy sounding. I used the AP66 as a travel guitar and liked it fine. As I thinned out some of my guitars, I decided that I liked the MPA66 a bit better.

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-16-2019, 11:03 PM

I got an AP70W (the new 2018 model with Walnut layered back and sides) for Christmas. Started falling for the MPA70 but decided against since I thought I wouldn’t be confident traveling with it being nicer and all solid wood. Anyway, got the AP70W as a travel guitar and have been MORE than impressed. Super loud and punchy for a 00 size. It’s amazing how much it punches with fingerpicking as well. It came with the original D’addario EXP16’s that were dead so I just put on a new set of the same strings to try them out (I’m an Elixir Nano PB user) and really like them so far. I will say that if you’re a strummer, experiment with lots of different picks because they really affect the tone and dynamics of this particular guitar. Hands down the best sounding guitar (for the body size) I’ve ever played in this price range. AND, I FULLY intend to put in an LR Baggs Anthem SL as soon as I can. It’s that good.
Fender Custom Shop Classic Strat
Fender '72 Tele Thinline Reissue (Curtis Novak P/U's)
Larrivee LV-03RE (Sold)
Larrivee DV-05E (Sold)

Last edited by Auguy21; 01-16-2019 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:32 AM

When the guitar arrives, I suggest you tote it down to GC and do a head-to-head. Pairwise comparisons (assuming the guitars are in good shape with decent strings) are going to give you the best outcome.

For what it's worth, in my search for a small guitar, the final group of favorites was the hog and spruce minis, and the two new Yamaha parlors. Ended up with a spruce mini, but I'm sure I would have been happy with any of the 4.

I would also suggest that the size of the small guitar is a really important consideration for comfort and versatility. At 5'9", I can play the mini in all kinds of positions comfortably. For example, last night I was practicing some new songs on the mini reclined in a recliner, with my chihuahua mix in my lap (she is trying to make this a regular thing!). A lot of the "small" guitars that get brought up in these conversations (e.g., the Martin D Jr) are large enough that they basically require a "normal" location and seating posture to play for someone my size. If that is the case, then it sort of defeats the purpose of the small guitar for me. I really like the fact that I can play it anywhere in pretty much any position.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:23 AM

The latest entry to Parlor sized guitars comes from Guild who will present their new model at NAMM this month. I have no idea what the retail price will be but it looks like it will be stiff competition for the AP66.

https://guildguitars.com/g/p-240-memoir/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion