The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-15-2019, 12:13 PM
Slothead56 Slothead56 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central PA
Posts: 942
Default Presonus Audiobox Bundleóopinions please

My wife gave me this combo unit for Christmas...havenít decided if Iím keeping it or not.

Iím kind of a technological knuckle head. (We gave my son a ďsimplifiedĒ Boss BR 600 digital recording deck several years ago and I got the chills just reading the introduction to the Manual.).

Home recording sounds like a good idea but a) I donít have a dedicated space to set this thing up and b) Where in the world will I find the time to learn how to use it?

Iíd appreciate your thoughts: Is this a good package? Are there better neophyte alternatives? Do I need a dedicated space to utilize the full functionality?

The clock is ticking on the return...I donít know how much she paid for it but if its overly complicated or beyond an entry learners ability....well, I just canít see keeping it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-15-2019, 12:19 PM
CASD57 CASD57 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Meridian, Idaho
Posts: 1,235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
My wife gave me this combo unit for Christmas...havenít decided if Iím keeping it or not.



Iím kind of a technological knuckle head. (We gave my son a ďsimplifiedĒ Boss BR 600 digital recording deck several years ago and I got the chills just reading the introduction to the Manual.).



Home recording sounds like a good idea but a) I donít have a dedicated space to set this thing up and b) Where in the world will I find the time to learn how to use it?



Iíd appreciate your thoughts: Is this a good package? Are there better neophyte alternatives? Do I need a dedicated space to utilize the full functionality?



The clock is ticking on the return...I donít know how much she paid for it but if its overly complicated or beyond an entry learners ability....well, I just canít see keeping it.



Thanks!
I got a Zoom R8, lol i know the feeling, look into YouTube video for help
__________________
I'm a Thread Ender.....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-15-2019, 12:50 PM
FrankHudson FrankHudson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,185
Default

Hard to give you an answer because your are so upfront about your fears with technology. I'm going to start by dividing up recording into three things that are different tasks that ask different things from you to do it yourself.


1. Just recording a "live" performance, a "digital tape recorder". Installing your software, jacking in the microphone and few minutes learning about enabling a track for recording and turning the level knobs on your interface to get a signal are your tasks, followed by how to save it as a digital audio file to listen to it back later. Not demanding of computer hardware at all, but for the technophobe even the software install can be daunting. Alternatives are the small digital recorders like Zoom sells. Those are easier to use for the technophobe, but you give up a lot of flexibility in the following two areas if you wish to enter them.

2. Recording multiple tracks and/or editing and modifying the recordings. This is the "recording studio in your computer" function. You can be a one-man band, or record friends adding new parts. You can edit out that false start at the beginning or even combine the best parts of several takes. You can add effects like compression and reverb without owning any extra hardware. There are stand-alone devices that let you do this too, but I don't find them nearly as flexible, and audio editing on a computer is often easier once you get over the hump of learning the software you use for this. Still, as stand-alone digital "portastudio" like device is more straightforward for multitrack recording, including overdubbing, as long as you don't want or need to manipulate or edit the recordings much.

Modestly demanding of computer hardware. You can learn as you go with all the functions your software allows. Your bundle has a "lite" version of Studio One, which I have almost no experience with, but it has a reputation of being as easy as any other software produce for this sort of thing.


3. Virtual instruments and the lot, "a whole musical instrument store simulated with software." Of lesser interest to most AGF members, but some of us are into this. Grand piano in your 10x10 foot office? String quartet in your basement? Pounding drums that don't wake the neighbors? Weird synths, vintage electric pianos, Hammond organs? Obviously this is an advanced topic, and the computer hardware needed can sometimes be considerable, but almost everyone does this on computers these days from hobbyist beginners to pros.

So, back to you after this simplified break-down. There's nothing I see "wrong" about your bundle. Let's assume you have a computer. It is a Macintosh computer? What are your immediate aims with recording? Do you have any further aims beyond the immediate aims?
__________________
Parlando - Where Music and Words Meet
-----------------------------------
20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6
'00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '07 Parkwood PW510
Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-15-2019, 01:20 PM
runamuck runamuck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,355
Default

From all you say, I'd advise you to return it. Getting into computer based recording is a definite time commitment. Maybe just get a hand held recorder like a Zoom.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-15-2019, 01:23 PM
Slothead56 Slothead56 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central PA
Posts: 942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
My wife gave me this combo unit for Christmas...havenít decided if Iím keeping it or not.

Iím kind of a technological knuckle head. (We gave my son a ďsimplifiedĒ Boss BR 600 digital recording deck several years ago and I got the chills just reading the introduction to the Manual.).

Home recording sounds like a good idea but a) I donít have a dedicated space to set this thing up and b) Where in the world will I find the time to learn how to use it?

Iíd appreciate your thoughts: Is this a good package? Are there better neophyte alternatives? Do I need a dedicated space to utilize the full functionality?

The clock is ticking on the return...I donít know how much she paid for it but if its overly complicated or beyond an entry learners ability....well, I just canít see keeping it.

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Hard to give you an answer because your are so upfront about your fears with technology. I'm going to start by dividing up recording into three things that are different tasks that ask different things from you to do it yourself.


1. Just recording a "live" performance, a "digital tape recorder". Installing your software, jacking in the microphone and few minutes learning about enabling a track for recording and turning the level knobs on your interface to get a signal are your tasks, followed by how to save it as a digital audio file to listen to it back later. Not demanding of computer hardware at all, but for the technophobe even the software install can be daunting. Alternatives are the small digital recorders like Zoom sells. Those are easier to use for the technophobe, but you give up a lot of flexibility in the following two areas if you wish to enter them.

2. Recording multiple tracks and/or editing and modifying the recordings. This is the "recording studio in your computer" function. You can be a one-man band, or record friends adding new parts. You can edit out that false start at the beginning or even combine the best parts of several takes. You can add effects like compression and reverb without owning any extra hardware. There are stand-alone devices that let you do this too, but I don't find them nearly as flexible, and audio editing on a computer is often easier once you get over the hump of learning the software you use for this. Still, as stand-alone digital "portastudio" like device is more straightforward for multitrack recording, including overdubbing, as long as you don't want or need to manipulate or edit the recordings much.

Modestly demanding of computer hardware. You can learn as you go with all the functions your software allows. Your bundle has a "lite" version of Studio One, which I have almost no experience with, but it has a reputation of being as easy as any other software produce for this sort of thing.


3. Virtual instruments and the lot, "a whole musical instrument store simulated with software." Of lesser interest to most AGF members, but some of us are into this. Grand piano in your 10x10 foot office? String quartet in your basement? Pounding drums that don't wake the neighbors? Weird synths, vintage electric pianos, Hammond organs? Obviously this is an advanced topic, and the computer hardware needed can sometimes be considerable, but almost everyone does this on computers these days from hobbyist beginners to pros.

So, back to you after this simplified break-down. There's nothing I see "wrong" about your bundle. Let's assume you have a computer. It is a Macintosh computer? What are your immediate aims with recording? Do you have any further aims beyond the immediate aims?
Great feedback Frank! This was really a surprise gift as I hadnít uttered a word about doing any recording.

I have little to no desire to create multi-track masterpieces. If I were to do that Iíd hire a small studio and an engineer, play all the parts myself and do what i do, play and sing.

At best, what I think would be a win/win would be your option #1, recording ďliveĒ (assume that means a live performance or live in my basement) for review and posterity. I always sprinkle a few originals in my setsóthatís really what I want to save so my adult kids understand where all this nonsense started!

If thatís the case would a Zoom handheld be the answer?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-15-2019, 03:48 PM
JakeStone JakeStone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NC
Posts: 2,747
Default

Izotope Spire Studio !

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e-spire-studio

Check it out if it's in your price range.

Simple, easy, fast, excellent quality!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-15-2019, 08:00 PM
Slothead56 Slothead56 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central PA
Posts: 942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
From all you say, I'd advise you to return it. Getting into computer based recording is a definite time commitment. Maybe just get a hand held recorder like a Zoom.
I think this is the decision point for me. Time is not my friend. I have enough hobbies as it is.

Thanks everyone for the help.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-15-2019, 08:40 PM
FrankHudson FrankHudson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
Great feedback Frank! This was really a surprise gift as I hadnít uttered a word about doing any recording.

I have little to no desire to create multi-track masterpieces. If I were to do that Iíd hire a small studio and an engineer, play all the parts myself and do what i do, play and sing.

At best, what I think would be a win/win would be your option #1, recording ďliveĒ (assume that means a live performance or live in my basement) for review and posterity. I always sprinkle a few originals in my setsóthatís really what I want to save so my adult kids understand where all this nonsense started!

If thatís the case would a Zoom handheld be the answer?
Yes, those Zoom units are inexpensive and easy to understand, and have been a classic answer for those who just want to record. Despite being committed to computer based recording, editing, and computer based "virtual instruments," I have a Zoom H2N and have used it for "location recording."

Someone has mentioned the Spire Studio, which I have never used. It sounds like something worth a look, particularly if you have a modern iPad or iPhone.
__________________
Parlando - Where Music and Words Meet
-----------------------------------
20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6
'00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '07 Parkwood PW510
Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=