The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-09-2019, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

I used to subscribe, but dropped it when they stopped running detailed tab analysis of various musician's techniques. Instead they went to chord charts for contemporary (anything not yet in the public domain) songs and some exercises and maybe traditional tunes to learn.

I really didn't care about which guitars or strings or setup or amps any particular artist used, I have my own preferences. I do understand that those comments could means increased advertising sales (superstar #1 uses XYZ strings, and low and behold there is a half page ad for XYZ strings right in the middle of the interview) but I was interested in playing techniques. When they got away from that, I unsubbed and never went back.

The material is on the Internet, but what I really miss about hard copy print material is that it is always there on the bookshelf or coffee table, and one day you might pick it up and say "I always wanted to learn Free Bird and here it is in the table of contents every time I look at this publication and maybe I should get to it." Whereas the Internet tries to anticipate what it thinks you should be interested in and present those ideas to you.

Maybe that is good, maybe bad.

CK
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 01-09-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
...but what I really miss about hard copy print material is that it is always there on the bookshelf or coffee table...
Or in the bathroom where reading material is sometimes needed
Old 01-11-2019, 01:14 AM

I still have about two years of back issues to read of VG (I've been busy reading/doing other things in the interim) and I am subscribed up through sometime in 2021, IIRC. Both my AB and OHJ seem to be just fine too, thankfully.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
Got my Acoustic Guitar magazine this week with a notice that monthly issues are no longer possible. This issue was noticably thin. So its every other month now.

My wife subscribes to several magazines. Many have sent notice that they are going out if business. Cooking Light and Coastal Living are morte.

We may be seeing the end of the print media.
Why would people read and learn when they can stare at their phone, disregard human interaction, and reverse the normal curve of their cervical spines? I was excited to subscribe to A.G. until I discovered the mag. was irrelevant and pretty boring.....another fraud promoting advertising and little else except great photography.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
Got my Acoustic Guitar magazine this week with a notice that monthly issues are no longer possible. This issue was noticably thin. So its every other month now.

My wife subscribes to several magazines. Many have sent notice that they are going out if business. Cooking Light and Coastal Living are morte.

We may be seeing the end of the print media.
I haven't bought a magazine in years surprised they still print them.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
Why would people read and learn when they can stare at their phone, disregard human interaction, and reverse the normal curve of their cervical spines?
I don't take my phone into people's homes when I'm visiting and turn it off when I'm somewhere that human interaction may be expected or inevitable.

But I read for edification on my phone quite often. Forums, books, info from various sources on various subjects, etc.

Print is not the only way to read. I still prefer actual books to e-books, but don't read many print magazines or newspapers much at all these days.

I can find that info elsewhere in non-dead-tree editions.

- John Shedd

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic