The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-08-2019, 02:37 PM

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...y/art-20046887
Old 01-08-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
Standard heart rate calculations break down when someone does regular, strenuous athletic activity like running or biking. The older you get the more inaccurate they can be. If you do a search on Google you’ll find alternate heart rate calculations based on age and athletic conditioning.
I started trail running again at 65. I was using a first generation Apple Watch plus Strava, and used the following technique to find my maximum heart rate at that time. Basically you get warmed up and then sprint as fast as you can for 20 to 30 seconds, check your heart rate, then jog for another minute or so, and repeat the sprint and heart rate check.
That’s supposed to give you an actual maximum heart rate for your conditioning level. Mine was 165, which is way higher than what you get using a standard calculation for my age. As my conditioning improved I raised that to 174, which is what I use at age 68 today. Depending on my mileage, frequency, and intensity, my resting heart rate stays in the low to mid 50’s.
What really helped me was upgrading from the Apple Watch to a Garman Forerunner 235. That gave me GPS plus a much better heart rate sensor and Strava integration. You can easily monitor your heart rate zone which is usually broken down into five levels. I try to stay In the aerobic, third level, or the fourth, transitional level. If I’m really pushing it, I can peak in the 170’s, but when I see it getting over 160, I slow down until it’s back in the 150’s. On runs my heart rate average is around 145. Last year I upgraded to a Garmin Fenix 5x sport watch. They are pricey but well worth the money. I get to track all my rides and runs, it syncs automatically with Strava, and I always know exactly where my heart rate is, along with many other performance measures. The battery lasts way longer (10-14 days) then an Apple Watch, too.
In addition to supervision and advice from an MD, there is great heart rate and performance tech available to personalize and optimize your training and conditioning. I never consulted my regular MD, besides letting him know I run and bike, but my health is excellent.
Garmin has a lot of great products and some that would have more battery reserve for long sessions but I think you're not being fair to the Series 2, 3 and 4 Apple Watch and the Strava app. The Strava Apple has been standalone since Series 2. Current watches are FDA approved ECG devices.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Garmin has a lot of great products and some that would have more battery reserve for long sessions but I think you're not being fair to the Series 2, 3 and 4 Apple Watch and the Strava app. The Strava Apple has been standalone since Series 2. Current watches are FDA approved ECG devices.
I think the later generation Apple Watches are fine, and am sure the Strava integration is much better than with the Series 1 model. I considered upgrading, but the Garmin sport watches were much better for my needs. I charge my Fenix 5X every 10 days or so, compared to having to charge my Apple watch every night, and it has so many useful features for any kind of sport.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 01-09-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
I think the later generation Apple Watches are fine, and am sure the Strava integration is much better than with the Series 1 model. I considered upgrading, but the Garmin sport watches were much better for my needs. I charge my Fenix 5X every 10 days or so, compared to having to charge my Apple watch every night, and it has so many useful features for any kind of sport.
I'm familiar with both lines. If you do endurance sports the Garmin line and others can be vital.

My main point was this is or at least was not mature like smart phones or other technology. Strava was standalone more than 2 years ago.

On battery life I was concerned but it didn't take long to see my phone and laptop and tablet known for battery life for the most part all needed charging more often than my Series 2 watch.

Now market share and features are so strong with Apple Watch that you have a very good chance your health care provider is able to use the system as a tool to help you. FDA approved ECG and fall detection are game changers or eye openers.

I have a nice Suunto watch that's arguably a Garmin competitor, I never thought I'd like the Apple Watch but now the specialized sport watch is in storage along with a Rolex and other fine watches. In a way I think the Series 2 should have been the first and the reviews that say a 4 is ready for prime time are quite spot on.

My high level thoughts on this overall topic are can't wait for new things going on in health care. We have big tech firms getting into it so I predict pressure on so much of health care being inefficient with poor customer service. We have architecture with encryption to let you share data with your health care provider.

I checked in on a bunch of work associates who started a wearables fitness challenge after Christmas & new year 2017/2018. There were 4 to 10+ people at each of 4 business locations. Except for 1 Garmin wearer and 2 Fitbit wearers, it is pretty much the Apple Watch owners who still wear and use them on a regular basis. Honestly sticking with it. I think that's quite telling if you want some lifestyle change and help.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
I'm familiar with both lines. If you do endurance sports the Garmin line and others can be vital.

My main point was this is or at least was not mature like smart phones or other technology. Strava was standalone more than 2 years ago.

On battery life I was concerned but it didn't take long to see my phone and laptop and tablet known for battery life for the most part all needed charging more often than my Series 2 watch.

Now market share and features are so strong with Apple Watch that you have a very good chance your health care provider is able to use the system as a tool to help you. FDA approved ECG and fall detection are game changers or eye openers.

I have a nice Suunto watch that's arguably a Garmin competitor, I never thought I'd like the Apple Watch but now the specialized sport watch is in storage along with a Rolex and other fine watches. In a way I think the Series 2 should have been the first and the reviews that say a 4 is ready for prime time are quite spot on.

My high level thoughts on this overall topic are can't wait for new things going on in health care. We have big tech firms getting into it so I predict pressure on so much of health care being inefficient with poor customer service. We have architecture with encryption to let you share data with your health care provider.

I checked in on a bunch of work associates who started a wearables fitness challenge after Christmas & new year 2017/2018. There were 4 to 10+ people at each of 4 business locations. Except for 1 Garmin wearer and 2 Fitbit wearers, it is pretty much the Apple Watch owners who still wear and use them on a regular basis. Honestly sticking with it. I think that's quite telling if you want some lifestyle change and help.

I agree. The Apple Watch was my entry into monitoring my heart rate, and as my mileage and training increased, the Garmin devices became more essential.
The Apple Watch health and fitness programs make it easy to monitor exercise and progress. Apple is dedicated to integrating features like ECG, fall detection, etc., and reportedly working on glucose level tracking, too.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic