The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 01-08-2019, 09:07 AM
Karel Karel is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 420
Default

Sounds pretty good to me, Jake. Still a bit too much low (dreadnought?) frequencies which could be ameliorated by more bass traps and/or high pass filter. I would also raise the presence of your (nice!) voice somewhat. I usualy firstly record the guitar part and then do the singing. But deep in my heart I prefer the way you do it. I included in my first post the Auralex advice as was since it reflects your situation. Meanwhile I have placed my desk at the short side of my studio to create more room for guitar playing and singing; and adapted the wall paneling slightly.

__________________
AKA Charlie

My lyrics and music on Youtube
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-08-2019, 09:47 AM
Monsoon1 Monsoon1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: N.E. Ohio
Posts: 1,488
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Is this config advisable? .. Or do I need to get more into the middle of room.

Again.. Just looking for ideas.


That's not bad, but I would setup at the center of that rear wall, 3-4 feet from the wall.
You might try putting the panels in front of you to help absorb reflections from your vocals.
Alternatively, you could get a microphone isolation shield. Rockville makes a nice one that comes with a very convenient stand, for less than $100.
Then you could put the panels behind and at the sides like you have in that pic.
__________________
Something something, beer is good, and people are crazy.

Last edited by Monsoon1; 01-08-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-08-2019, 09:51 AM
Monsoon1 Monsoon1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: N.E. Ohio
Posts: 1,488
Default

$90 with free shipping.

__________________
Something something, beer is good, and people are crazy.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-08-2019, 11:24 AM
JakeStone JakeStone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NC
Posts: 2,757
Default

Thanks Karel for your comments!

Yeah, as I get further into it.. I will be doing separate tracks for vocs and guitars. Or simply do separate mic for both guitar and vocs.

Like you said, there is something about singing and playing at same time... For me I like the Live Performance aspect and record all at once.

More Bass Traps.. Seems to be the advice. I don't think I will be able to permanently install anything in this room or on walls/ ceiling (for now it is not possible since we may be moving this year). But I can build more of the panels.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Karel View Post
Sounds pretty good to me, Jake. Still a bit too much low (dreadnought?) frequencies which could be ameliorated by more bass traps and/or high pass filter. I would also raise the presence of your (nice!) voice somewhat. I usualy firstly record the guitar part and then do the singing. But deep in my heart I prefer the way you do it. I included in my first post the Auralex advice as was since it reflects your situation. Meanwhile I have placed my desk at the short side of my studio to create more room for guitar playing and singing; and adapted the wall paneling slightly.

Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-08-2019, 11:33 AM
JakeStone JakeStone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NC
Posts: 2,757
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon1 View Post
That's not bad, but I would setup at the center of that rear wall, 3-4 feet from the wall.
You might try putting the panels in front of you to help absorb reflections from your vocals.
Alternatively, you could get a microphone isolation shield. Rockville makes a nice one that comes with a very convenient stand, for less than $100.
Then you could put the panels behind and at the sides like you have in that pic.
THANKS!

Through the help of this thread..
I have already made some of those changes.

Here's a shot what I set up last night..

IS this what you had in mind?
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-08-2019, 11:45 AM
Monsoon1 Monsoon1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: N.E. Ohio
Posts: 1,488
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
THANKS!

Through the help of this thread..
I have already made some of those changes.

Here's a shot what I set up last night..

IS this what you had in mind?
yes but with the exception that I would face the other way.
Performing towards that wall, especially if you sing, will cause a fair amount of boominess. And a fair amount of that might not be blocked by those panels.
But try it both ways though! Acoustic reflections are very complex and don't always play fair in a space like that with a sloping ceiling.
__________________
Something something, beer is good, and people are crazy.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-08-2019, 11:51 AM
JakeStone JakeStone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NC
Posts: 2,757
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon1 View Post

yes but with the exception that I would face the other way.


Performing towards that wall, especially if you sing, will cause a fair amount of boominess. And a fair amount of that might not be blocked by those panels.

But try it both ways though! Acoustic reflections are very complex and don't always play fair in a space like that with a sloping ceiling.
Ok.. that makes sense and I will give it a try.

Appreciate your thoughts and ideas!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-08-2019, 12:07 PM
sdelsolray sdelsolray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 6,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
THANKS!

Through the help of this thread..
I have already made some of those changes.

Here's a shot what I set up last night..

IS this what you had in mind?
As an experiment, I would suggest (i) turning everything around 180 degrees to face into the room, and (ii) do sub experiments with different placements of the traps.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-08-2019, 12:52 PM
Monsoon1 Monsoon1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: N.E. Ohio
Posts: 1,488
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
As an experiment, I would suggest (i) turning everything around 180 degrees to face into the room, and (ii) do sub experiments with different placements of the traps.
I agree with experimenting with the traps. It almost seems intuitive to align them with the guitar height, but the math shows that those low frequencies are much larger in wavelength, and it might be better to put them vertically in that corner. It is a very odd corner there with the sloping ceiling, so nothing is guaranteed. Best to try all options.
__________________
Something something, beer is good, and people are crazy.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-08-2019, 03:50 PM
JakeStone JakeStone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NC
Posts: 2,757
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon1 View Post
I agree with experimenting with the traps. It almost seems intuitive to align them with the guitar height, but the math shows that those low frequencies are much larger in wavelength, and it might be better to put them vertically in that corner. It is a very odd corner there with the sloping ceiling, so nothing is guaranteed. Best to try all options.
Thanks guys!

I'm going to change things "around" and play out into the room with my back to wall. I guess I misunderstood earlier in thread about which way to face.

Cleaner shot of space. Room is roughly 20x30ft
(The wall you see is the 20ft wall)
5 ft pony wall and ceiling is 10 ft tall in center of room.

There is also the futon couch in middle of room.. This is sorta my "room divider" ... My side and "her" side.

I can move the couch and chair and use them anywhere.

Or keep couch where it is?







Last edited by JakeStone; 01-08-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 01-08-2019, 04:16 PM
rick-slo's Avatar
rick-slo rick-slo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 12,229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Thanks guys!
I'm going to change things "around" and play out into the room with my back to wall. I guess I misunderstood earlier in thread about which way to face.
Using cardioid mikes I am usually sitting about one third of the way from a wall and facing the wall so that the microphones are pointing away from the wall. The guitar sound does bounce off that wall but it is coming back towards the rear of the microphones where they are less sensitive. However you could do it the other way with good results. Experiment.
__________________
Derek Coombs
Website -> Music -> Tabs -> CDs and Youtube
Guitars by Mark Blanchard, Albert&Mueller, Paul Woolson, Collings, Composite Acoustics, and Derek Coombs

Last edited by rick-slo; 01-08-2019 at 04:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-08-2019, 05:19 PM
JakeStone JakeStone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NC
Posts: 2,757
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Using cardioid mikes I am usually sitting about one third of the way from a wall and facing the wall so that the microphones are pointing away from the wall. The guitar sound does bounce off that wall but it is coming back towards the rear of the microphones where they are less sensitive. However you could do it the other way with good results. Experiment.
Cool.. Yeah it seems like there is no "right" or "exact" way to do anything when it comes to recording.... That goes for gear too. Since every room, player, ear , etc ,,, is different!

I am beginning to understand the complexities..

Newbies (like myself) are always looking to speed things up...

But Experimenting is the best method and has been enjoyable !
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-08-2019, 06:18 PM
sdelsolray sdelsolray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 6,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
...
There is also the futon couch in middle of room.. This is sorta my "room divider" ... My side and "her" side.

I can move the couch and chair and use them anywhere.

Or keep couch where it is?
...
That couch will also act as a rather decent bass trap, so its placement can be useful.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-08-2019, 07:19 PM
JakeStone JakeStone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NC
Posts: 2,757
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
That couch will also act as a rather decent bass trap, so its placement can be useful.
Yep.. I am open for placement ideas for the couch.

BTW, This left corner area is going to be tricky...

Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-09-2019, 07:08 AM
Monsoon1 Monsoon1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: N.E. Ohio
Posts: 1,488
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
THANKS!

Through the help of this thread..
I have already made some of those changes.

Here's a shot what I set up last night..

IS this what you had in mind?
I didn't realize the room was that big.
Here's something you could try. Line up the four panels on that wall. Then turn around facing the other way. That way the rear reflections will be well absorbed by the panels. And as has been mentioned, with a cardioid mic, the long reflections will hit the back of the mic, and also they'll be delayed significantly and won't muddy up the sound.
Short reflections muddy the sound, long reflections add ambiance.
__________________
Something something, beer is good, and people are crazy.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=