The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-04-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Tastes great! Less Filling! (if you are old enough to remember those beer commercials)

Put two people in a room and you will likely have three opinions, all fervently held by each person.
no earl, you are wrong! certs is a candy mint, not a breath mint!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-04-2019, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

...I always try to be as objective as I can be...and I don’t go there if I don’t have direct experience with the subject at hand....that said...I sometimes feel that my replies come off as condescending or elitist....that’s because I don’t respond unless I feel my contribution is valid and often state my position with conviction....I always try to add the usual qualifiers like imho or ymmv but I know that some folks will always take exception with strongly stated opinions....
Old 01-04-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
The answer to your question perhaps lies within your statement.

As a general universal observation and ("why some folks do that" ) people act the way they do, relative to the juxtaposition of where they are at on the path of life, and the influence ego has on their perspective.

Which is actually a completely different subject than, Why we ourselves, would chose to become offended or chose to have a "pet peeve" about how others behave or respond to a question somebody else might post ?? Which could also be related to path, ego, and perspective ... understand I am using Ego in the broader sense where there is no inherent overriding positive or negative connotation
Perhaps I should have been clearer or at least more detailed.
My "Pet peeve" was used to describe me being upset about the way answers are given to innocent inquirys. It bothers me that those asking the questions are sometimes answered with absolutes that are based on invalid or unsubstantiated claims, sometimes in a rude way.
As far as my own "ego", I try to remember it's just a guitar forum and it's really unimportant in the big scheme of things.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-04-2019, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Interesting question, I think I know what you mean but it’s not something that angers me. It is something, however, that gives me some degree of insight about that poster, which might or might not be helpful in future interactions with that poster.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
My "Pet peeve" was used to describe me being upset about the way answers are given to innocent inquirys. It bothers me that those asking the questions are sometimes answered with absolutes that are based on invalid or unsubstantiated claims, sometimes in a rude way.
As far as my own "ego", I try to remember it's just a guitar forum and it's really unimportant in the big scheme of things.
To me, this is key - guitars are not something to fight about. There are much bigger fish to fry in all our lives, I am sure.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 01-04-2019, 03:54 PM

"Subjective Opinions vs Condescending Comments"

I've noticed that sometimes the "condescending comments" are considerably longer, more "eloquent" posts than what I see as constructive "subjective opinions"...
Old 01-04-2019, 04:11 PM

I play left handed .
Old 01-04-2019, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Well, I certainly hope that my comments and contributions are not seen this way!

I am very old and have made every mistake in the book, to rise to my acme of mediocrity,and in my achingly slow development, I have learned a few things along the way that may be helpful or of interest to others of the acoustic fancy.

I've also made a fair few videos on YouTube for this purpose, but I hope, I mean I really hope, that my contributions have never been viewed as condescending or absolutist.

If a question is posed and one thinks that they have something constructive to add to the discussion, it is open season for others to disagree or correct, and for the questioner to use or ignore surely?
Old 01-04-2019, 05:15 PM

There is no one right way for everybody to agree to do anything . Everybody is entitled to their own opinions.

You learn nothing by talking because you are only repeating what you already know or think you know, but, you can learn everything by listening. I say, listen to everybody and then do whatever you want, but, be sure to listen first.

I know I'm right and I'll be a bit upset if everybody doesn't agree with me.

Last edited by guitar george; 01-04-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

I was wondering this very thing yesterday while reading a thread. “Why would anyone get angry about this and respond in such a way?”, I asked myself. Frankly, I know more about psychology than I do guitars. I think that such replies says more about the individual posting it than the post itself. How does any topic that is guitar related induce vitriolic responses on this forum?
It’s not the guitars.
Mr Silly Mustache, I consider you an Ambassador. Enough said.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You were quite clear, perhaps I wasn't .

Being upset by such actions is a choice you make for yourself .. And making that choice actually has nothing with the actions of others. We wish to believe that it is the actions others that is making us upset, but that is not the reality . The truth is we and we alone, are making the choice to be upset. The proof of that truth lies in the simple fact that, we can just as easily choose not to become upset by such actions (it took me 50+ years to even begin to realize the wisdom of understanding that simple truth)

Now to be sure what you're describing does occasionally happen, although not near as much here as other forums.

However my point is, within the context of this forum , you have no control over the actions of others. Becoming "bothered" or "upset" by such actions in such a situation is a function of frustration at that lack of control and an exercise in futility, and serves only to generate negative energy in your life.

If you perceive that is happening , the best course of action to take, is simply counter any misinformation or rudeness with polite reasoned response.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 01-04-2019 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:03 PM

I love this forum and appreciate the folks here. I've learned a lot. I'm happy to offer advice in areas that I am passionate about and have some experience in. I realize that people won't always agree with me, and I understand.

Asking a question sometimes gets people in trouble no matter how they go about it. Some topics come up all the time and if you're new, you might not know that. These folks may be told to use the search function if it has been asked before, and may get yelled at for resurrecting a zombie thread if they use the search function instead of asking.

If you really like guitar brand "A," and I think it sounds terrible, I'm not going to get into an argument with you. I'll just know you prefer a different sound. Some cats will try to convince you that you're wrong for liking your preferred brand.

If I feel a solution is impractical, I might explain a solution that seems more practical to me, understanding that they may or may not see it that way. Some cats that are asking for help, are more just trying to work it out by talking about it.

I'm currently debating between a vintage J45 and a boutique J45 type guitar. It may not sound exactly like a great vintage piece, but it might be close enough and not need anything major for a long time... after I posted, I started to realize that I need to go to either NYC, LA, or Nashville, and play a bunch of guitars... that's advice I'd have given to anyone that asked the same question!
Old 01-04-2019, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

I try to roll with the punches here and give people the benefit of the doubt. We all have a lot of stuff going on in our lives and sometimes things spill over here where conversations turn into a who can spit farther contest. Most of the stuff is so unimportant in the scope of things its like why bother responding.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-04-2019, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

IMO and/or IMHO.........
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 01-04-2019, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It always makes me wonder why SOME folks do that.
Really? What'd you expect? Really?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic